Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3792 3793 [3794] 3795 3796 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788446 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56895 on: November 21, 2022, 03:11:15 am »

The unified kingdom and getting the queen's son to marry the other queen both sound interesting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56896 on: November 21, 2022, 11:14:41 am »

That would be a good bit of role-playing yeah. I wonder though if they'll ever send a diplomat to negotiate peace if the queens already there, so she can't order a diplomat to come
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56897 on: November 21, 2022, 11:06:52 pm »

I'll do my best to make it happen!  Or kill many dwarves trying!
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56898 on: November 22, 2022, 11:54:38 am »

I'm still playing the Gravearmor fort after 1 1/2 years realtime. It's now 35 years in-game and the population recently dropped from the high of 408 to 381 following a particularly tough FB intrusion.

The current project is expanding the area of the 10z high first cavern excavation. Natural pillars are left for support roughly every 5 tiles.  The span of the area is now 177 x 131 with three main sections.  It is not recorded how many workers perished in the construction, but it has to be at least 25 so far.

Pop: 381
Dwarves: 373 including 15 underage
Humans: 8

Doors to the caverns and the wilds above ground are not locked.  The King is dead, the Queen is permanently missing.  One of the 2 princes survives but is heading toward madness.
The undead are a constant danger. 
We need more babies.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 12:03:17 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56899 on: November 25, 2022, 02:12:27 pm »

My one-tile fort is going pretty well! I'm almost 8 years in. I always do a lot of animal training (which doesn't help my fps...) and this fort is no exception. However, this fort I'm trying to keep the populations down a little more proactively... which actually leaves me with more bones and meat than I can possibly handle. I've thrown away thousands of meat just to keep the stockpiles down, and I sell all my prepared food and drink to every caravan that stops by. I realized that I have two problems that can solve each other:

- What do I do with all these animals, besides butchering them?
 - How am I going to conquer hell?

That's right, I have an adamantine spire in this fort. Which is very good, since I only have copper, silver, and gold. I also happen to have a necromancer. He decided to move here from his tower in order to advance his art. I made him captain of the guard, but we've had no crime in the entire 8 years due to my no-visitor policy.

So, combining these three things, I built a drowning and reanimation chamber. Add some military, and it also makes necrobacon. If I mess up too badly, it'll even end my fort! The perfect dwarven project. It doesn't work all that well, and I have some improvements for the next time. But it works well enough with some manual input.

This is the upper reservoir, cage trap snake, and control room. Animals can be dumped into the lower chamber through either of the two locked hatches in the center. The corner hatches MUST be closed when animals are drowning, or they will swim out and escape! To the right is where Ingiz can reanimate zombies from. Those animals in the corner are cages where I'm stacking all the zombies together for relocation later.

This is the drowning chamber. Central stairs included for spacial reference. You can't see with the water inside, but there are fortifications in front of the outer windows to stop building destroyers. This chamber must be drained with the manual pump in order for zombies to path out of the chamber. Water evaporates with each cycle, so the upper chamber must be topped off from a cavern lake (connection not shown) each time. The bridge between the gem windows is there so that the trap can be used with a captive necromancer, but I haven't needed it because Ingiz is so accommodating.

As each animal species reaches expert level training, I toss them all into the drowning chamber. Here's what I have so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next, I'm going to try my captive trolls and blind cave ogres! The chamber should handle building destroyers, but I guess we'll see!

EDIT: Success. I'm not sure when I'm going to decide I'm ready for hell, but as long as I have more things to drown, I'll keep going.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:25:01 pm by TheFlame52 »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56900 on: November 25, 2022, 05:57:06 pm »

I must tell you a story for no one else in our civilization will

Of the cursed Count

He began as an expedition leader deep into the mountains. He dug the entirety of the fort personally and oversaw it through many trials
He commanded the militia himself, and while out in battle he was replaced by a new "mayor", but he continued to faithfully serve

He was later appointed baron and later after that count for he had dug and protected the whole fort
He saw all members of his expedition, his wife included, die from madness or murder, and accrued over 300 kills in battle personally bearing weapons and armor that would become legend

Then his hard work was recognized once more and the queen took his city for her own and declared it mountainhome. His reward?

He was given countship of a natural cave formation he had liberated. It was once a kobold settlement and then later goblins as they used it to stage raids on dwarf lands, and now it was his as the queen took ownership of all that he had wrought, the very place where his friends and family were buried.

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56901 on: November 26, 2022, 01:45:38 pm »

https://imgur.com/wgfi13R
My legendary cook has just invented ice cream.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 01:48:26 pm by Doren I »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56902 on: November 26, 2022, 02:22:07 pm »

I must tell you a story for no one else in our civilization will

Of the cursed Count

He began as an expedition leader deep into the mountains. He dug the entirety of the fort personally and oversaw it through many trials
He commanded the militia himself, and while out in battle he was replaced by a new "mayor", but he continued to faithfully serve

He was later appointed baron and later after that count for he had dug and protected the whole fort
He saw all members of his expedition, his wife included, die from madness or murder, and accrued over 300 kills in battle personally bearing weapons and armor that would become legend

Then his hard work was recognized once more and the queen took his city for her own and declared it mountainhome. His reward?

He was given countship of a natural cave formation he had liberated. It was once a kobold settlement and then later goblins as they used it to stage raids on dwarf lands, and now it was his as the queen took ownership of all that he had wrought, the very place where his friends and family were buried.

aka "give him the cave, we'll take the palace!" strategy. what a curious little story of a most unfair occurrence.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56903 on: November 26, 2022, 02:55:52 pm »

Keep in mind nobles like barons and counts often don't live in their holdings; many choose to live in mountainhomes. He could very well be governing his fief from the city.

And besides, that's just another glorious project to embark on. Perhaps the queen required the right man to turn this vulnerability in enemy hands into a citadel for the realm
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56904 on: November 28, 2022, 02:08:16 pm »

Flying, webbing Swamp Titan kills 7 citizens of Gravearmor before the marksdwarves' hail of bolts took it down.
Pop 380 --> 373
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56905 on: November 28, 2022, 03:54:14 pm »

That's the good outcome.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56906 on: November 28, 2022, 05:50:47 pm »

I swear, Drunians are the worst.

Every time these grubby little shits enter the map, the FPS tanks because they refuse to stop pathing.

If they don't go extinct soon, I'm going to have to setup a magma incineration trap just so I don't have to DFHack the magma every time.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56907 on: November 28, 2022, 06:18:57 pm »

I feel the same but with hungry heads. They've pissed me off so much this fort, I literally modded them out of the game for my next world.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56908 on: November 28, 2022, 10:50:14 pm »

You might as well mod out echidnas too if you ever plan to embark in a reanimating biome.  Though magma, properly applied, would counter thier otherwise indestructibility.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56909 on: November 29, 2022, 06:38:54 am »

Oh yeah, echidna. I remember a fort where not even the clowns could kill a living echidna, just endlessly beat it up.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3792 3793 [3794] 3795 3796 ... 3835