Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3793 3794 [3795] 3796 3797 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787051 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56910 on: November 29, 2022, 09:05:19 am »

caught a balrog presumably
Made an interesting, but ultimately useless discovery. If a murky pond freezes over, and you dig it out, you can smooth the ice ground below it. This creates "level ice". Useless because it thawed shortly thereafter and became normal murky pond again.

an ice rink....

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56911 on: November 29, 2022, 09:57:14 pm »

Our Doctors seem to have had an interesting Time lately:

Rather impressive for a Dwarf who could not stand up unaided.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56912 on: November 30, 2022, 03:27:04 am »

Oh yeah, echidna. I remember a fort where not even the clowns could kill a living echidna, just endlessly beat it up.
The fort Smallhands almost fell because everyone was trying to kill an undead echidna, those things are not something to be take lightly.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56913 on: December 01, 2022, 02:15:35 pm »

got attacked by a mountain titan....  was made of snow... first bolt broke away half its tissue, it missed my dwarf, then a punch broke away the rest of its tissue, it is no more..... thank god its poison breath didnt get used

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56914 on: December 01, 2022, 02:23:20 pm »

A woodcrafter who was badly wounded and nearly killed in a recent siege started a tantrum that engaged the whole fort in the central stairwell. He beat one of the weaponsmiths to death and then attacked everyone who came anywhere near him. They then started fighting him in return, a couple off-duty marksdwarves started shooting at him. This all ended with me activating the militia, who promptly put him down. He was not berserk, and his crimes were not reported to the CotG.

The whole fort is now aggro'd against another weaponsmith, one of the militia that responded to the incident. Ive locked her in a side room for a while to cool off.

It all seems to be linked to an ongoing conflict, like they still see themselves as in-combat, now with the weaponsmith instead of the woodcrafter. Its not a true loyalty cascade, but the marksdwarves are taking pot shots at the weaponsmith now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RandomEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill all those fucking elephants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56915 on: December 01, 2022, 02:44:11 pm »

One sampling of classic Catmurdered includes a universe-tearing (read: FPS-murdering) catsplosion when our only gelder was jailed (really, mayor Ganh, I don't blame you but he had no idea how to make bismuth bronze cabinets) for a huge three months (thanks to some incidents with brawling). That forced all of the metal into making cages (especially since most of my dwarves love cats and the mood here is bad anyway because of the rain) which left us powerless against a goblin siege after KEA descended on us and stole our weapons. (yes, kea. Even worse, actually - ZOMBIE KEA)

Thankfully our giant tigers handled that (this is why being on speaking terms with the elves is handy), so now I've started construction on a temple of Armok, where we will also house the mayor and his seven cats. I'm planning to make it out of limestone and obsidian, with engravings (of cats, carp, and tigers), goblin bones strewn everywhere, statues, and a magma pool used exclusively for disposing of Barons upon first mandate.
A kobold in full *bismuth bronze armour* leaps out of the bushes, wielding an *adamantine two-handed sword*! It reminds you to take a break every now and then.
Currently working on - mod that makes Charr a playable civ.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56916 on: December 01, 2022, 03:08:39 pm »

A woodcrafter who was badly wounded and nearly killed in a recent siege started a tantrum that engaged the whole fort in the central stairwell. He beat one of the weaponsmiths to death and then attacked everyone who came anywhere near him. They then started fighting him in return, a couple off-duty marksdwarves started shooting at him. This all ended with me activating the militia, who promptly put him down. He was not berserk, and his crimes were not reported to the CotG.

The whole fort is now aggro'd against another weaponsmith, one of the militia that responded to the incident. Ive locked her in a side room for a while to cool off.

It all seems to be linked to an ongoing conflict, like they still see themselves as in-combat, now with the weaponsmith instead of the woodcrafter. Its not a true loyalty cascade, but the marksdwarves are taking pot shots at the weaponsmith now.
There's a DFhack command that can stop loyalty cascades now. I don't know what it is, though.

a magma pool used exclusively for disposing of Barons upon first mandate.
Why not just pick a baron that doesn't make mandates? ???

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56917 on: December 01, 2022, 10:28:12 pm »

There's a DFhack command that can stop loyalty cascades now. I don't know what it is, though.

Thankfully in these cases ive found locking the offending individuals away for a few days of time-out, until their present tense "feels x while joining an ongoing conflict" becomes past tense "in the last season... they felt x while joining an ongoing conflict." Usually once all the involved individuals are in the past tense then its safe to let them out.

I had a vampire murder occur, some poor sap fell asleep in the middle of the main stairwell and got sucked dry. Now the entire fortress is engaged in reporting the crime, even while the vampire has already been apprehended and imprisoned.

[edit]

They wont stop reporting the crime. There are twenty or so dwarves that are stuck in a report crime loop, and every time they run up to the CotG they walk a tile away and then turn around and report the crime again
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:42:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56918 on: December 01, 2022, 11:17:18 pm »

My fort has had two siege announcements recently with no units show up.

Instead, these usually spawn one or two snatchers who book it the moment they're detected. Enemy war population is certainly not an issue, the two goblin (and one human) civilisation i'm at war with have healthy populations. What's happening?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56919 on: December 02, 2022, 03:19:43 am »

Oh yeah, echidna. I remember a fort where not even the clowns could kill a living echidna, just endlessly beat it up.
The fort Smallhands almost fell because everyone was trying to kill an undead echidna, those things are not something to be take lightly.

this was an entire collective nightmare. I fear all creatures that are small and predisposed to curling

RandomEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill all those fucking elephants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56920 on: December 02, 2022, 01:59:57 pm »

a magma pool used exclusively for disposing of Barons upon first mandate.
Why not just pick a baron that doesn't make mandates? ???
No way! Armok needs dead nobles as compensation for our fort's lack of butchered cats, and also, where would the !!fun!! be in that? (Plus, the magma pool is also handy for throwing junk we can't peddle off to the humans in)

Also, excuse my laziness with the quote text above but deleting lots of text is hard on my platform.
A kobold in full *bismuth bronze armour* leaps out of the bushes, wielding an *adamantine two-handed sword*! It reminds you to take a break every now and then.
Currently working on - mod that makes Charr a playable civ.

avaunt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56921 on: December 02, 2022, 11:57:38 pm »

I embarked on a volcano in a flat desert. Humans and goblins are nearby, elves aren't. They're a little bit away from my vicinity. Is it possible to send an emissary to their forest retreat and ask them to establish an annual caravan? Even though my location was originally out of their reach?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56922 on: December 03, 2022, 12:07:28 am »

yeah, through the "c" screen find an elf site and create a mission, and change it from "raid" to "demand one-time tribute." After that theyll probably start sending caravans. Or ambushers to attack you...
I make Spellcrafts!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #56923 on: December 03, 2022, 07:57:45 am »

The best form of trade is attack.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56924 on: December 03, 2022, 04:42:45 pm »

yeah, through the "c" screen find an elf site and create a mission, and change it from "raid" to "demand one-time tribute." After that theyll probably start sending caravans. Or ambushers to attack you...
I like that the standard method of dwarven diplomacy is to send a single drunken lunatic to the other civilization who then rants and raves and demands beer money.
Pages: 1 ... 3793 3794 [3795] 3796 3797 ... 3835