Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3794 3795 [3796] 3797 3798 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787144 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56925 on: December 03, 2022, 04:58:58 pm »

Yeah, we don't have real diplomatic options yet, but it's possible that will change with the completion of the villains arc stuff, as part of that will mean things like tracking down thieves and getting your artifacts back. Maybe Toady will grace us with some friendly diplomatic options too like establishing long distance trade or negotiating the end of wars
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56926 on: December 03, 2022, 10:38:48 pm »

I want to negotiate the end of wars. I don't know how many times I've ended up at war with the humans because a titan or something slaughtered one caravan too many. I don't care how much I have to bribe them, I want my spring caravan back. :'(

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56927 on: December 05, 2022, 03:39:16 am »

salmon swim through the canopy as the waves of ice and water crash below

first time in a while encountering the infamous "lake bug". this time, the water was held back by the freezing temperatures, and my dwarves hastily escaped underneath the soil. if I had found this embark, like, a month ago, it would have made for an awesome story fortress.

recording of the freeze-thaw here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkqo5WT1N8

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56928 on: December 05, 2022, 08:28:43 am »

Oh wow, haven't seen that before. Glorious!

Wonder what'd happen if you visit the site in Adventure mode?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56929 on: December 05, 2022, 11:29:01 am »

Anything you excavated under the lake will be flooded, for one. The game considers all empty space below lake/ocean biomes to be part of the water column, even separate spaces underground. Except caverns. You could use a grated hole into the caverns to drain the water in adventure mode, but your fps will tank no matter what.

I had a dwarf die of old age last night. And a goblin siege begin while two of my squads were on a raid and just came back, trapping them outside with a horde of goblins between them and safety. So of course I had to send the rest of the militia out to even the odds, but three of the returning dwarves were killed in the fighting before they fought their way out of the trap corridors, including our most illustrious mace lord and master wrestler. Then as the second squad was finishing up appearing and became active, they were ambushed by a werewolf. They took no casualties or injuries as they killed it.

Finally, a necromancer experiment siege of like a dozen showed up, as the squads' mission had been to raid from the nearby tower, which they had done without incident, each stealing a book, but apparently they found out about it somehow.

There's currently a forgotten beast in the caverns, hasn't come to shore yet.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 11:36:10 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56930 on: December 05, 2022, 11:45:15 am »

Anything you excavated under the lake will be flooded, for one. The game considers all empty space below lake/ocean biomes to be part of the water column, even separate spaces underground. Except caverns. You could use a grated hole into the caverns to drain the water in adventure mode, but your fps will tank no matter what.

Ah, so it works similar to retiring/unretiring a fort where you've dug under the ocean (and above caverns) then?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56931 on: December 05, 2022, 12:38:49 pm »

Yes. And even under the caverns iirc. Layers you dug out between cavern layers might also flood
I make Spellcrafts!

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56932 on: December 06, 2022, 03:19:28 am »

A Fire (Cause unknown, Magma Crab suspected) caused a Tree to collapse through a Water Line, putting Our Fortress at Risk of Flooding.

We have Directed Our Dwarfs to turn off the Pump, and plan to drain the Reservoir Our stuff washed into as soon as the Flooding stops.

Naturally, Migrants have just arrived.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56933 on: December 06, 2022, 10:37:07 am »

Ah, this brings back memories. Trying out the new Steam version.
Embark, mess with controls, tut and curse a bit at the interface, mess a bit more, OK. Think I have this figured out now.

Unpause.

Dwarves jumped by alligators. They're all dead.

Ha ha ha ha! Fun is had.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56934 on: December 06, 2022, 07:50:24 pm »

Hmm...
Military will take some getting used to in 50.01. Hate not being able to set uniforms before I actually make a squad. Hope we can still actually make standard uniforms. Setting one per squad would be a real pita.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56935 on: December 06, 2022, 07:59:33 pm »

Thought I'd try a light aquifer in the new version.

Aaaand first rock is conglomerate.

Oh boy. This is going to be a long ramp. :D

Anybody know how to add as much of a given material as possible to wall and floor constructions?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56936 on: December 07, 2022, 11:47:45 am »

I always just chopped trees and used logs. If you can get passed the aquifer, you can build blocks. I ran into the same situation yesterday, going through 3 layers of soil aquifer and another four sandstone, all light flow, suddenly the next layer down was a heavy aquifer that filled before anybody could dig. I chose to give up on that site and found another without aquifers. Now I've got way too many ores from the world being generated with ores "everywhere." Frequent is frequent enough I'd say!

My dwarves got jumped by a pack of gray langurs right off the bat, and then an alligator. We were ready for the alligator by then though. But they're struggling.

I spent half the day yesterday trying to figure out how all the new modding formats work together. No idea going forwards how I'm going to get my mods all updated to this version. Spellcrafts is going to take forever! And you absolutely have to assign workshops graphics, or they'll just be invisible.
I make Spellcrafts!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56937 on: December 07, 2022, 04:15:22 pm »

Oh good, the forums are back up.

I have a goal of creating some number of legendary battleminers, for reasons. However. This goal may be delayed by the fact that the worldgen fortress I reclaimed has a giant living in it. He is now alerted to my dwarves and angry.

EDIT: He got scared and ran away. I locked him in a bedroom. Then I walled up the door. Crisis averted.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 04:20:32 pm by TheFlame52 »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56938 on: December 07, 2022, 04:30:34 pm »

Sweet Armok have mercy on me, for linking levers automatically assigns mechanisms by creation order in the Steam version. I pray the mechanism quality no longer affects timings, lest I go stark raving mad. The best strategy I've found is to forbid mechanisms such that linking levers eventually leaves a sorted list of mechanisms in ascending order of quality.

It also appears the Note system got nixed. Plumbing just got a lot more FUN.

In other news, industrial trading is a nightmare. And I'm not even talking about keeping the bins, but the fact that the bins and barrels are grouped by container material rather than container content. Sorting by value will be working overtime for large trade volumes. On the bright side, caravans don't seem to bring more kinds of items than what you asked for.

Additionally, I have begun studying the color spectrum. The rock colors are more natural now, it seems. Finding a broad spectrum of colors will be a challenge. I have found out that mica block walls fit rather nicely with smoothed limestone floor.

In fortress news, despite using sparse metals, I seem to have hit the motherlode. Beneath and within the conglomerate aquifer lies large seams of hematite and magnetite; below that a bedrock of limestone and chalk; and near the surface, layers of black sand, white sand, and fire clay. In a heavily forested cold biome. Only thing missing is bituminous coal and a volcano. With the Dwarven Farm Radar inoperable, I am forced to make the dwarves' home here in this bedrock—already plenty deep—and pray the caverns aren't too close. My mica mine some thirty levels below the surface have yet to hit any caverns.

As for the surface, the fort has been beset foul feathery beasts for years. Ravens and giant crows, something in these untamed wilds is making the birds agitated, and many a dwarf now lie entombed beneath the Highwood Tower. No doubt a scheme of the elves, for they have declared war with a sneaky ambush. It furthermore appears that doors and hatch covers can no longer be held shut for animals. This has decimated many-fold my animal stock. I'm forced to put my army on patrols! The horror!

Finally, has anyone figured out hunting works in the new version? It's hard to tell if the hunters are doing anything.

EDIT: I've also learned I need to manually assign all the dwarves to the safety burrows. Thankfully only once per burrow.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 04:54:25 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56939 on: December 08, 2022, 11:51:46 am »

TIL about the Steam version: Smoothing and Engraving are now separate things, and you need to do some things with the labor screen to get people to do either. I get why, I just wish it was a bit more intuitive.

I also learned that you have to create the labor detail for the various smithing tasks and make sure it's assigned correctly, or else every dwarf will happily slap a hammer against an anvil(or, if not set correctly, no one). Took me a while to figure that out. Luckily, before ordering any metalwork done.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 3794 3795 [3796] 3797 3798 ... 3835