Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3795 3796 [3797] 3798 3799 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788189 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56940 on: December 08, 2022, 12:03:07 pm »

Finally, has anyone figured out hunting works in the new version? It's hard to tell if the hunters are doing anything.

You just need ammo and quivers available and someone assigned to hunting who isn't otherwise busy. There doesn't seem to be any control over what type of ammo is assigned to hunters vs marksdwarves.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:17:37 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56941 on: December 08, 2022, 01:29:44 pm »

I am RUSHING To finish my megaprojects in my last classic version fortress

I love the new version and am eager to fully switch my fortress mode antics over to it

I'm doing 3 mega projects total spread across the entirety of the map. Top of sky to magma sea.

One is done
One is 60%
and the other is not started

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56942 on: December 09, 2022, 02:39:22 am »

Hmm. My (initially) atheist wild dwarf starting party all seem to have picked up religions from other civs (as happens often).

Let's see:

The God-forsaken Order? Good name for a religion. :)

"The God-forsaken Order was a human religion of the Mythical Plane centered around the worship of Kozi the Beautiful, a human god of depravity and lust".

Ha, can see why he was tempted....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:47:59 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56943 on: December 09, 2022, 11:41:09 am »

Over a year, and no new migrants. Current population is just 26, soon to drop because of a clothier mood I can't fulfill because I don't have silk, and the last dwarven caravan didn't have any. In fact, the last caravan brought only what I ordered the previous year and nothing else.

Also being harassed by keas. Of course.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56944 on: December 09, 2022, 12:04:47 pm »

I have discovered what the agitation mechanic seems to do. I embarked in an untamed wilds forest next to a flat volcano. Chopped down a couple dozen trees and started getting "agitated" wildlife. They'll just say agitated raven or whatever, and they'll come over and harass your dwarves. I got lots of ravens and eagles of course, but also badgers, giant ravens, giant crows and and giant peregrines. I've lost like seven or ten dwarves to the vicious wildlife, frozen rivers (so no water for the hospital) and infection. It's practically an undead biome, but the critters aren't undead, they're just pissed off.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56945 on: December 09, 2022, 12:22:19 pm »

First steam version fort ended up on a plateau of sorts, with a brook going over into a waterfall.  Figured I could pipe water from the top into a mist generator and back out at the natural waterfall's bottom.

The flow from just channeling a ditch from the brook seems a bit anemic, I might need a windmill pump setup to get much of anything.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56946 on: December 09, 2022, 06:17:23 pm »

Turns out that strange mood wasn't asking for silk. In fact, I have no idea what they wanted - secretive mood, they hadn't collected a single item, and were drawing pictures of stacked cloth, skeletons, and cut gems. Aside from a furious dash to open the caverns for silk, I also had ample quantities of rope reed, hemp, and pig tail cloth. And said dash to the cavern got my sole soldier and one of my legendary weaponsmiths torn up by a cave crocodile. The soldier did kill it though; her infant child got several good hits in.

They might have been looking for candy cloth, which might be a bug since they're not supposed to want stuff you haven't had access to yet.

PRE-EDIT: Or they may have wanted yarn, which I also have no access to, as I did not embark with any shearable animals.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56947 on: December 09, 2022, 06:44:39 pm »

I have discovered what the agitation mechanic seems to do. I embarked in an untamed wilds forest next to a flat volcano. Chopped down a couple dozen trees and started getting "agitated" wildlife. They'll just say agitated raven or whatever, and they'll come over and harass your dwarves. I got lots of ravens and eagles of course, but also badgers, giant ravens, giant crows and and giant peregrines. I've lost like seven or ten dwarves to the vicious wildlife, frozen rivers (so no water for the hospital) and infection. It's practically an undead biome, but the critters aren't undead, they're just pissed off.

So that's what those are!!

I just really wasn't questioning all these giant insects my dwarves were crushing and butchering

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56948 on: December 09, 2022, 08:08:30 pm »

That sounds like Fun. To be honest, none of my new forts have lasted more than a year or two. Out of curiosity, I keep digging too greedily and too deep. I think I might mod dwarves into steel colossi so that I can do SCIENCE without having to worry quite so much about dwarven mortality.

There are so many new things to explore and exploit! I can't wait for the Classic release so I can look at smooth, calming ASCII again. I'm actually back to playing my 0.47 fort because of that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56949 on: December 09, 2022, 09:20:47 pm »

A part of my fort unintentionally looks like a dagger on the minimap:
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56950 on: December 10, 2022, 10:47:25 am »

Moody dwarf went insane(melancholy). She also gave birth shortly after going insane. She may or may not have given birth during her mood, if not shortly before. Might be some... implications about the husband.

Shortly afterwards, another dwarf went moody and claimed the same clothier's shop. This time they immediately grabbed some hemp.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #56951 on: December 10, 2022, 12:36:07 pm »

I'm really missing the keyboard-command oriented interface, ngl.

Bloody mouse.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56952 on: December 10, 2022, 01:49:18 pm »

Honestly, what I miss are the v, k, and q menus, and the red/blue squares on the map I dicsting unit locations. I feel like I have no situational awareness anymore.

Also, can't figure out how, if there is a way, to mass-select building materials for constructions. I tried to roof over my starting area and had to press the stone blocks/logs to use on the floors one at a time. If you designate 100 floors to be built and don't use the "use closest material" option then you have to click 100 times.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56953 on: December 10, 2022, 11:27:28 pm »

A bunch of reptile men slaughtered my military because I sent 2/3 of my dwarves out to occupy an elven site. I had very little equipment and very few skilled fighters. My military killed them all, but it was the final straw on a slow burn of inefficient work and constant fighting with cavern creatures.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #56954 on: December 11, 2022, 03:14:51 am »

Re some recent comments in the thread:
There is no way anymore to mass select items for construction.

Also major change: according to Putnam, when tasking a dwarf to do a job, the game now picks the most skilled one. This is why it is fine that most labors are on by default. Your dwarves will migrate towards compentency and then continue to get picked, you won't have random nobodies doing the job unless the skilled ones are otherwise busy. (And at that point it's easier to find the dwarves to assign to the detail if you really want to restrict it.

I haven't had a chance to see agitated wildlife since I haven't tried a savage biomes, but I'm quite fond of the equivalent mechanic for the caves. Yes, reptile/amphibian/etc people will now proactively attack you if you do stuff in the caverns rather than just being hostile set dressing.
Pages: 1 ... 3795 3796 [3797] 3798 3799 ... 3835