Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3806 3807 [3808] 3809 3810 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852789 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57105 on: January 09, 2023, 05:41:16 pm »

So a few days ago, I already mentioned that a monster hunter that I had expelled, had returned, now a full citizen.

I was not completely right. He did return. He did lose his monster hunter status, gain legendary animal dissector skill and can be assigned jobs. But he is still a visitor. A visitor that is neither a monster hunter, neither a performer, neither a scholar.

Just noticed that when trying to assign him to a military squad, he's not in the list.
I must have skim-read his citizenship too fast. He's a citizen of the Relic of Dyes.
My fort's citizens are citizens of the Natural Dye. Oops, minor detail haha.
I just noticed you can get this without expelling them, just go to Labor->Locations tab on their sheet and remove the Monster Hunter "location". That's the only visitor I hav, so I don't if there's some thing like that for other types.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57106 on: January 09, 2023, 05:44:09 pm »

Interesting. Performers have it too.

EDIT: Heh. A merchant is visiting my fortress as a visitor. Last season, a performance troupe brought a prisoner as a visitor.
somewhat earlier, a goblin Pale Butcher, sounded scary, had bright blue skin, but left without harming anyone.
Interesting visitor types.

EDIT: Oooh!! I have a monster slayer visitor who is also Dungeon Master for his site government... I kinda hope this means that Dungeon Masters are a thing in fortress mode again.
A human monster slayer arriving at the same time is 'Legendary preserver of the knowledge' for his site government.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 06:55:53 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57107 on: January 09, 2023, 07:12:17 pm »

Hooo boooooy. I have reached 160+ dwarves and my Ryzen laptop is finally telling me "woah there dude that's too much". The FPS didn't drop very far, but it was getting quite toasty, at around 80C with the fans cranking. I think I will limit my population to 150 for future forts.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57108 on: January 09, 2023, 08:52:08 pm »

The FPS didn't drop very far, but it was getting quite toasty, at around 80C with the fans cranking.

I know laptops are designed to run hot, but not 'play outside in the winter' hot like that.  It probably should be throttling your FPS to lower internal temps at that point.

Just got the first steel armor produced at year 3 of this fort after dodging / walling off cavern layers and setting up magma forges.  A seemingly endless pile of kaolinite is being made into large pots; and several veins of iron ores and flux passed by along the way down are now being explored.  Farming on the sub-par surface layer and a whole lot of pigs are comfortably sustaining 88 dwarves.  Temperatures bounce around 40°C

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57109 on: January 09, 2023, 09:53:40 pm »

The FPS didn't drop very far, but it was getting quite toasty, at around 80C with the fans cranking.

I know laptops are designed to run hot, but not 'play outside in the winter' hot like that.  It probably should be throttling your FPS to lower internal temps at that point.

I actually am not sure it was DF's fault. I loaded up my save half an hour ago to do some minor construction and my dwarf count bumped back down to 140 or so. Not sure why but with those numbers it was at around 50-60C, and I can't imagine that a mere 20 extra dwarves stresses the cpu that much to crank it to 80. Maybe something else caused that?

In any case my fort is proceeding smoothly. I have more bedrooms than my current set population cap, so I'm done designating those. Unfortunately, my embark is kinda crappy. I've found nothing but copper ore (and silver but silver is damn near useless for military purposes). The embark was listed as having multiple shallow and deep metals, so I dunno where the others are. I also only have charcoal for fuel and I am burning practically half the forest here to fuel my forges. I've resorted to buying bronze stuff from caravans and melting it down, which gave me enough bronze to give my two squads weapons at least. I have tried doing that for steel, but steel is crazy expensive (granted, trading the artifacts I get about once or twice a year is damn near enough to buy the whole caravan!).

But I think I'm finally self-sufficient. Every dwarf has a bedroom, I have hundreds of food and drink, two squads are training day in and day out. It may be a slightly metal-poor fortress, but I'm doing good for myself, I think.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57110 on: January 09, 2023, 11:31:14 pm »

I actually am not sure it was DF's fault. I loaded up my save half an hour ago to do some minor construction and my dwarf count bumped back down to 140 or so. Not sure why but with those numbers it was at around 50-60C, and I can't imagine that a mere 20 extra dwarves stresses the cpu that much to crank it to 80. Maybe something else caused that?

In any case my fort is proceeding smoothly. I have more bedrooms than my current set population cap, so I'm done designating those. Unfortunately, my embark is kinda crappy. I've found nothing but copper ore (and silver but silver is damn near useless for military purposes). The embark was listed as having multiple shallow and deep metals, so I dunno where the others are. I also only have charcoal for fuel and I am burning practically half the forest here to fuel my forges. I've resorted to buying bronze stuff from caravans and melting it down, which gave me enough bronze to give my two squads weapons at least. I have tried doing that for steel, but steel is crazy expensive (granted, trading the artifacts I get about once or twice a year is damn near enough to buy the whole caravan!).

But I think I'm finally self-sufficient. Every dwarf has a bedroom, I have hundreds of food and drink, two squads are training day in and day out. It may be a slightly metal-poor fortress, but I'm doing good for myself, I think.

dont forget about silver warhammers!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57111 on: January 10, 2023, 07:08:20 am »

Even though I managed to get him from redface unhappy to orangeface unhappy, my ex-monster hunter finally broke and is throwing a tantrum.

Hurray! My first tantrum of the new version! Should be fun. I have no justice system set up yet either.

EDIT: Hah, I didn't know that a dwarf could throw a tantrum and listen to poetry at the same time.

EDIT: and that seems to have ended the tantrum. Throwing something, toppling the ashery, trying to punch a dodgy bard 5 times, discussing problems with an acquaintance and listening to poetry was all harm done.

EDIT: the poor sod now slipped into depression. I suppose I should start building him a tomb.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:41:58 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57112 on: January 10, 2023, 07:48:57 am »

One of my migrants is a straight up Dwarf Necromancer.

I've burrowed her and sealed her up, she is now our fort's NecroManager and bookie. I'm wondering if it's possible to use her dark powers in combat somehow?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57113 on: January 10, 2023, 08:21:40 am »

I hadn't played a version with taverns prior to the Steam release, so I've been granting every single request from every single visitor to the fortress.
After 18 years, that means I have a resident gorlak poet, a whole horde of gobbo poets and dancers (I swear, half the reason they don't invade any more is that they'd rather move in), a fair few mellow necromancers, lots of humans and elves, and even one of those dark shifty looking buggers is in the military.
It's positively cosmopolitan!
And I'm actually quite surprised I haven't had a werebeast or vampire (that I'm aware of) yet.
Just an initial wave of murderous children that seem to have calmed down with the implementation of several haphazardly placed mist generators.

My military reached blender status a fair while ago, so anything that arrives above ground with ill intention is usually destined to become mincemeat, and since razing the nearby necromancer's tower of Beardrills, I haven't had an invasion for what must be coming up to 6 years.

Besides the military, my defences are pretty half-hearted. A trap-dodge pit o' doom (which hasn't gotten a bite yet) and an incomplete perimeter line of cage traps, who recently caught some passing wolves that I immediately started domesticating.

I'm having problems convincing anyone to deconstruct anything, with track stops and cage traps being particular sticking points. Construction and deconstruction of any kind ground to a complete halt recently, until I started trimming down my numerous herds.
I had geese, guineafowl, chickens, ducks, keas, dogs, cats, water buffalo, yaks, cows, alpacas, rhesus macaques, llamas, sheep, goats, rabbits, horses, wild boar and cavys.
I've now culled off a lot of unnecessary cruft, and am currently left with geese, ducks, chickens, rhesus macaques, guineafowl, dogs, cats, wolves, keas, alpacas, llamas and sheep, but I think I'll probably have to limit even further, as they've started exploding in population since removing some of the others, and dwarves are still having problems deciding between deconstructing something or collecting the latest batch of eggs.
I'm thinking alpacas, wolves, dogs, cats and geese would be sensible, but I kinda want to keep the keas and macaques too, as I'd rather them be domesticated than nicking stepladders.
And I worry that culling the cows, yaks and water buffalo may result in a pronounced shortage of leather, which my clothing industry revolves around.
Still, wolf leather sounds cooler.

Once I've gotten that under control and dwarves are happily building and destroying things again, I think the next move will be to terraform the valley so it's one flat plain, and then start properly planning above-ground structures. Then, maybe, finally, I'll start trying to impose some kind of order on the underground industries and homes, which have just exploded in the most unplanned fashion. Seriously, this is at once one of the most successful fortresses I've had, yet one of the worst planned.

It ain't pretty, it's got tombs that probably take up a good 15% of the ground layer, and the minecarts responsible for keeping my industry moving no longer work thanks to the inability to remove or build track stops.
Military training quarters are scattered randomly throughout the ground layer alongside kitchens, tombs, taverns, libraries, temples, guild halls and other seemingly randomly placed workshops, and crop planting / harvesting from my farm plots seems to be entirely random (farm plots are another thing dwarves refuse to build or destroy any more.)
And below ground, it's a right mess, thanks to having to deal with a light aquifer.

But miraculously, it works, and my psychotic boozehounds also appear to be relatively happy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57114 on: January 10, 2023, 12:59:45 pm »

My forts is under attack by multiple waves of 10-15 cave swallow spearmen invaders. Lost 5 dwarves already (out of 17 dwarves and 3 residents). I should have probably done what I always do, seal off the caves until I have an equipped military.

But the size of those waves versus my population is somewhat disturbing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57115 on: January 10, 2023, 02:45:44 pm »

Yeah, should probably seal everything off. And recruit more monster hunters, if any show up.

My fort, I sealed the caves after building stairways going through them. Have a few monster hunters around too. I experienced a CTD and lost a year of progress at one point but it didn't repeat. Which gave me the chance to backtrack and not cut down those last few trees that triggered the agitated giant sparrows that killed five dwarves. I've instead got steel being made and am starting to make arms and armor. And leather goods, since I imported tons of leather.

I got three forgotten beasts showing up at the same time. One in each cavern layer. Layers one and two are connected, so the beast from layer two, a giant leech with bat wings that breathes fire, came up and slaughtered the one from layer one, a giant hairy tarantula with bat wings that spits poison. And set a small section of the cave lichen on fire, naturally. Which thankfully didn't spread
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:48:41 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57116 on: January 10, 2023, 11:17:05 pm »

The zombified hair of a forgotten beast effortlessly slaughtered all my dwarven merchants.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:20:19 pm by satan »
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57117 on: January 11, 2023, 01:03:40 am »

I have been faced with a extremely aggravating problem. For the first three years, my dwarves would dutifully bring everything I bought from caravans to stockpiles. Now they leave hordes of the stuff I bought on the floor. I just had the human caravan come, and literally ALL of the food I bought--literally HUNDREDS of units--was just left on the floor. I have two food stockpiles and my fortress is drowning in goddamn barrels and I just made SEVENTY more and they still refuse to move it so it's clearly gonna just rot there. What the hell are they doing!?

Edit: aaaaaaaaaaaand it all rotted. Great.

EDIT2: To make matters even more bizarre this is on year four and on the first three years they kept my food stockpile full without issue. Now year four rolls around and they aren't putting the goddamn food in the five hundred barrels I've made for them!

EDIT3: Something has SERIOUSLY gone wrong in the game because I removed all my food stockpiles but one and the dwarves aren't hauling the barrels to the new stockpile. Also my dining room is inexplicably covered in seeds. I really REALLY do not want to watch my entire fortress starve to death because of a completely random bug that can happen out of nowhere. I put a lot of work into this and suddenly this crap just completely blasts my fortress apart...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 01:20:15 am by YashaAstora »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57118 on: January 11, 2023, 01:21:24 am »

double check in the labors - standing orders - hauling tab that "dwarves gather food" is true. I had the same problem after i accidentally turned food gathering off.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57119 on: January 11, 2023, 01:24:28 am »

Oh god.

I turned that off when a goblin siege came because I accidentally thought that I was turning off gathering PLANTS.

I am savescumming this lmao time to kill df and immediately turn it back on again
Pages: 1 ... 3806 3807 [3808] 3809 3810 ... 3836