Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3807 3808 [3809] 3810 3811 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789177 times)

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57120 on: January 11, 2023, 03:11:33 am »

Savescumming worked! My stockpiles are full of food.

Unfortunately I just got sieged by a necromancer that brought ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY ZOMBIES with himself.

Welp.

EDIT: My military got massacred. Of course. "Losing is fun" and all but honestly a zombie horde this fucking huge is absolute insanity. I'm savescumming AGAIN and just dropping magma on these bastards with dfhack (I have no honor) because I absolutely do not want to have to deal with this in the future. Definitely turning necromancers off in my next world too X__X
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 03:43:29 am by YashaAstora »

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57121 on: January 11, 2023, 05:13:14 am »

Oh god.

I turned that off when a goblin siege came because I accidentally thought that I was turning off gathering PLANTS.

I am savescumming this lmao time to kill df and immediately turn it back on again

Kogan: "Why do we even HAVE that lever, Urist?!"

Urist: "Beats me." *chews last remaining plump helmet*
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Bufo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57122 on: January 11, 2023, 08:17:46 am »

My 500-year-old world is dominated by necromancers, and their undead creations love gathering in my tavern, despite not being able to enjoy anything anymore. We flourished and had probably overproductive industries here at Dragonlantern the Shadow Song of Beauty, and after 8 years our queen came to live with us. Of course she's a necromancer. She got her own burrow, safe on the citizens-only floor with the temples, guilds, library, and tavern with a waterfall running through it.

I'd been going through the stock list of a thousand socks to individually mark the tattered ones for dumping (which is what one does without DFHack) when some dispute in the public tavern exploded into mayhem and gore. A visiting necromancer had fun continually animating every hacked-off head and appendage until my fps fell to 0 (0) and just stayed there. I could almost open menus, but the keyboard stopped responding. I went to Task Manager and killed dwarffortress.exe.

Reloading the game, I deleted the public tavern entirely and happily watched scores of undead and some necromancers file out of my fort, then returned to dealing with the tattered clothes.

I'm right on the edge of fps death, but I'll keep dealing with it as best I can. I love my 9 year old fort and will play it forever if the game lets me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 08:20:55 am by Bufo »

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57123 on: January 11, 2023, 09:21:48 am »

(...) tattered clothes

If you enable "Dwarves gather refuse" and "Dwarves dump other objects" in standing orders then they will automatically dump XclothesX if you have a Dump zone (provided you actually have replacement clothes for them somewhere).

You can then have a Refuse stockpile under the dump zone which accepts clothes, this will make them rot away very quickly.

Be sure not to have any sort of Refuse enabled on a stockpile which contains regular cloth or armor, as this will make it rot away! If you're wondering where the steel armor in your main hoard went, that's potentially why.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57124 on: January 11, 2023, 04:16:12 pm »

My laptop issues have seemingly been fixed.

I used dfhack's prospect to check my embark, confirming there's no iron ores whatsoever. No problem: I am drowning in gold and silver, so I'll just make tons of crafts and buy up as much steel as I can from the caravans, melting it all down to outfit my army. I haven't got enough to melt, but that will be fixed eventually.

I have exported so much wealth, indeed, that I've overhauled my trade depot. No long is it mere gabbro in a soil room--now its room has been paved entirely in smooth gabbro and the depot itself is solid gold! Now to make as much crap as possible to buy stuff from the dwarven caravan...

EDIT: Several months later, a vile force of darkness arrived! The goblins must know I'm hot stuff, because they upgraded from ~10~ or so soldiers to FIFTY. That didn't matter, though, my two squads of extremely skilled soldiers absolutely shredded them with almost zero injuries. Still, it's clear the goblins are gonna send bigger and bigger forces against me, so I'm definitely going to be making a third squad. My first two were axe and spear squads, so I think the third one will be a blunt weapon. I personally think maces are cooler than hammers, but as far as I can tell, hammers are pretty much objectively better.

Still, I finally have a use for all this silver besides drowning caravans in finished goods.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 04:11:27 am by YashaAstora »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57125 on: January 12, 2023, 09:52:09 am »

After my previous fort succumbed to the hordes of cave swallow spearmen, I happily embarked again.
I lasted long enough to dust away some rust, and now have most of my quantum stockpiles and economy set up.
Turned down the wildlife agitation settings somewhat, embarked on calm lands. Not allowing visitors yet, nor have I breached any cave.
Capped dwarves to 16, which is exactly what the migrant waves brought it to.
And perfect! Two married couples immigrated. There's two romances going on with my 7 starting dwarves, but now I didn't need to wait for them to get married.

The first child has been born!
Now usually when playing low population start forts, I'd set child age to 4, because I thought 7 years waiting was just too long.
Now I'm going with the 12 though, let's see how this new chores thing works out.
Just a few years, and I will breed my way to the barony / strange mood / etc. triggers and the fun can start.

Hmm. CTD when clicking the noble screen button. Usually I just press N.
Good thing I saved not too long ago.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 02:12:14 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57126 on: January 12, 2023, 05:09:02 pm »

It's been an eventful journey to mountainhome status.

I made an investment at embark in two elephants. They bred successfully, producing five calves before the male got stuck in a peach tree and died. The female has sinced killed enough goblins to gain a name. They go flying when an elephant kicks them.

I built a tavern quite early and one of the first visitors was a goblin risen corpse. I had decided not to tolerate goblins in the fortress so I sent my new axe squad in their pond turtle shell armour to deal with it. They succeeded, but one died and another five were seriously injured. I didn't have soap production up and running but fortunately they were still patched up without getting infections.

I allowed a troupe of poets to join the fortress without going to the trouble of figureing out who the members were. I was appalled at first when I realised one of them was a dirty tree hugger, but my expedition leader doesn't have the usual dwarven suspicion of nature and actually likes working outdoors. Since she's the most successful expedition leader I've ever had - duchess now and consistently elected mayor - I decided that the fortress would seek peace and cooperation with the elves. Several more have gained residency, but none have petitioned for citizenship yet.

A couple of necromancers have also visited the tavern and I decided not to tolerate that either. A more established military made fairly short work of them but the second one killed two residents, a dwarf and a human, then raised them as sallow hunters with his dying breath. They retained their resident status and I have since granted them citizenship so that I can have an undead squad.

Four goblin sieges have attacked the fortress. The first was defeated by a barely armoured axe squad, though the naked and unarmed recruit that got there first was killed. A spear armed mercenary took it on himself to chase a kobold thief to the edge of the map just in time to be slaughtered by the second wave of attackers. The military was a bit more prepared this time though and when a few more soldiers arrived they quickly dealt with them. I thought the pattern would repeat itself with the third siege as one axe dwarf returning from a raid ran across the map. But she went into a martial trance and started lopping arms and heads off all around herself as bolts and arrows sailed past her. All that while holding a baby - she's the fort's champion since then, and her son is doing fine.

The latest siege had 14 goblins or humans with bows or crossbows. My main military was away at the time attacking one of their dark pits. Only one of the sallow hunters was a citizen then and I sent her with a war giant tiger, a war leopard and three war dogs to try to defeat the vile force of darkness. The animals were quickly turned into pincushions, but she almost beat them. 10 kills before she lost the ability to walk, then two more. Once the enemy had run out of ammo I had the guard come out to finish them - three unarmed and unarmoured wrestlers. The sallow hunter was pretty much shredded and after diagnosis there were three pages of treatments scheduled. She's slower now, but still pretty badass. She could probably have beaten all of them if I'd given her any armour.

I haven't really managed to replace those animals. I managed to upset the last elven caravan with a woolen bag, so I had to sieze their animals. I got a giant dingo and a coyote - but I can't train them as war animals. I've got one unicorn and one giant perregrine falcon too, but that just means some odd eggs so far. They're not even valuable. Oh, I siezed an elephant from them too - female unfortunately so I still seem five years away from more breeding.

Her son is throwing tantrums though. He was one when she died and is three now. His mum doesn't sleep and neither his father nor any of his aunts, uncles or older sisters have taken on the responsibility of putting him to bed. I don't think he's slept for two years. In his latest tantrum he smashed up a magma forge in the temple of the Crystalline and he has been cursed. I can find no clues as to what kind of curse, but I guess there may be some fun ahead.

Speaking of tantrums, the other dwarf that has started throwing them is one of the axe squad that took on that goblin raised corpse. Her spine was severed in the fight and she's a scholar now. She seemed okay for about four years, then had a bout of depression, followed by a couple of tantrums. Most of my workshops are in temples, so it seems like she'll wind up cursed too unless old age gets her first - she's 122.

When one of my human residents died recently, the statue my stoneworkers made showed him stealing an artifact copper shield. He didn't bring it with him to the fortress, so I had my hammerdwarf squad go look for it. They asked questions in about six distant taverns, carousing in each of them, before succesfully stealing it. It's now the symbol of their captain. I may make a tradition of each squad going out to claim themselves a symbol.

The queen's symbol is a wolverine bone coffin that she carries around in her left hand. She's a legendary bone crafter, so I guess she made it herself. I think I'll give her something else though, and put the coffin in her mausoleum.

In the second year of my fort, the queen attacked another dwarven civilisation, putting my fort on the front line of a dwarf-on-dwarf war. I've stayed out of it so far, but now that the queen has come in person I think it may be time to get involved. The duchess likes mail shirts so I have an excess of bronze ones. I've made some helms to go with them and I'm training up a lightly armoured hammerer squad to try to conquer a site from the enemy.

I'm yet to find any of the flux stone that I was promised at embark. I've bought enough steel and flux stone to get ten axes, ten spears and five suits of steel armour. Then I have a fair bit of bizmuth bronze armour too. I hope I do find some flux of my own though - I have plenty of iron.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Bufo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57127 on: January 13, 2023, 04:29:44 pm »

Queen necromancer Dodok likes sitting in her throne. That's about it, really. I rarely see her elsewhere.

Her primary unmet need is to pray to Asen, so I removed the throne tile from her throne room and made it into a shrine to Asen instead.

I forgot to flag it as citizens-only, so a horde of undead swarmed in to visit for a bit.

Dodok still hasn't prayed to Asen, but she's meditating on earthy and volcanic matters.

She also has an unmet need for alcohol, so I made a one-tile stockpile for dwarvish brews right next to her. Feb promptly put an empty barrel in it. Thanks, Feb.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57128 on: January 13, 2023, 06:55:06 pm »

Ettin attack! Apparently father and grandfather of the other ettins I have locked up in the dungeon.
Citizens inside, military on alert, and lets see if our new weapon traps are functioning.

Well, of course, the excited militia dorfs decide they want to test out their new steel gear instead and set to work slaying the Ettin. And they're joined by a passing lord who bashes uselessly on the beast with his wooden Aya (basically a set of panpipes). Ettin dispatched, the lord indulges in some intellectual discussion with the spearmaster (presumably about the benefits of steel spears over wooden panpipes in a battle against giant monsters), who is quite interested but is probably just trying to keep his mind off his smashed fingers. Off to the hospital with you.

Typical day in the fortress. Current population 115 plus 10 guests (including a very popular bear person dancer).

As the militia dorfs go back to the barracks I note a naked human poet in the corner of the map whom the units list says is "friendly". He's not a guest or a citizen just...a friendly naked guy. I'm tempted to go kill it, I'm sure no-one will mind. It just feels like he's gonna turn into a werebeast any minute.

dragon_hotbox_party

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57129 on: January 14, 2023, 02:40:11 am »

My fort is doing well at 263 people. Got everything humming along nicely. Not perfectly efficient obvi, but still good. What should I get myself up to?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57130 on: January 14, 2023, 03:14:13 pm »

One of my marksdwarves is stuck on a loop in the (melee) training barracks.
Every tick, he switches between archery practice, and lead combat training, with an occasional organise combat training in between.

It's not the uniform bug. That's all fine. My marksdwarves used to train both in the archery range as well as in the barracks just fine, no settings changed.

I tried disallowing training in the barracks. No effect.
I tried stationing the dwarf, and then cancelling the orders. Alas, he just went back to the barracks and resumed the loop.

I am hoping that a drink, eat or sleep job will snap him out of it.

My marskdwarf squad consists of 2 dwarves. The leader is currently off duty (the squad has a 'at least 1' train order), which makes it even more strange, because who is he even organising / leading a combat demonstration for? There is no one to demonstrate it to.

EDIT: adding the 2nd dwarf to the training scehdule didn't help.
Unforbidding the stack of single bolts beneath my archery targets did help. Apparently the 10 single bolts in the stockpile were not sufficient to make the dwarf start practicing archery.

EDIT: crap, he's stuck on the loop again, even though there are plenty of bolts available now. The archery training only worked when only the archery range was set for training and not the melee barracks.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 03:49:41 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57131 on: January 14, 2023, 06:41:04 pm »

I was just minding my own business when a wereass attacked. I sent out a squad to take care of it, but a civilian handled it for me, somehow. Two dorfs got killed and one -a mason who killed the wereass- was severely injured and bitten. He rwas taken to the hospital before I had the thought of exiling him, so I had the dorfs build a wall around his hospital bed. As that was happening, not even 10 in-game days later, a three-dozen-strong goblin seige arrived. Two deaths, many injured. Many injured. The hospital overflowed and I scrambled to set up soapmaking. Then the bitten mason transformed. This meant he was fully healed now. So, in that mess of a hospital, I exiled him and broke the walls after he turned back. Then, just as he left the map, a giantess attacked the fort, and he was the first victim. Then the giantess descended down to the trade tunnel to meet with the elven traders who had just unpacked their goods. All three elves died. I sent out the least injured squad to kill her, but surprisingly, one of the elves, before dying of blood loss, had managed to kill the giant. All this happened in the same in-game month or so, give or take a 45 in-game days.

Then the mayor demanded a green glass throne to his bedroom. I am now considering sacrificing him to the first next thing that attacks the fort.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57132 on: January 15, 2023, 11:58:49 am »

All this happened in the same in-game month or so, give or take a 45 in-game days.
That's pretty intense.

I just noticed some salmon swimming around in the well.  But the well was simply dug out in an isolated section of rock, and drip-filled from an aquifer above.  I'm not sure how salmon could possibly have gotten in that closed system. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57133 on: January 16, 2023, 01:10:24 am »

One of your fish cleaners must have dropped some fertilized eggs in there while bathing.
(there's no actual reason, vermin just spawn wherever the game thinks is appropriate it seems.)

My fortress became a county, then a duchy, and now it's the mountainhome. The Queen arrived, as did her wife, the baron of some lesser place. This is after another dwarf inherited the barony of yet a different place. So no I have my mayor, two barons and the queen making mandates. I selected my now-duke as not to have any mandates from him. The queen's eldest daughter, and presumed heir, and son, maybe also an heir, but each having different fathers, arrived some time ago unbeknownst to me. Now we're only missing her other two daughters and we'll have a royal flush!

In the meantime, we've had two artifacts stolen, including the cloak I awarded to the duke. Nobody saw who stole either artifact, and the cloak was already well outside the fort when it was reported, and the militia failed to chase the suspect down.

We also have magma crabs crawling out of the volcano at the smeltery. Ive checked and all the forges and furnaces, including the ones theyve been popping up near, are built with the solid tile over the magma access, so this shouldn't be happening. There must be something ive missed somewhere.

Missions to recover stolen artifacts still don't work, it seems. I sent a squad out to recover the first one stolen, a ring, and the squad immediately turned around and reentered the map without going anywhere. Didn't visit any taverns or anything to search for information, just came right back.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57134 on: January 16, 2023, 03:28:21 am »

We also have magma crabs crawling out of the volcano at the smeltery. Ive checked and all the forges and furnaces, including the ones theyve been popping up near, are built with the solid tile over the magma access, so this shouldn't be happening. There must be something ive missed somewhere.

sadly, this trick no longer works, as there are no longer impassable workshop tiles

Pages: 1 ... 3807 3808 [3809] 3810 3811 ... 3835