Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3808 3809 [3810] 3811 3812 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788312 times)

caveman98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57135 on: January 16, 2023, 03:49:40 am »

One of my marksdwarves is stuck on a loop in the (melee) training barracks.
Every tick, he switches between archery practice, and lead combat training, with an occasional organise combat training in between.

It's not the uniform bug. That's all fine. My marksdwarves used to train both in the archery range as well as in the barracks just fine, no settings changed.

I tried disallowing training in the barracks. No effect.
I tried stationing the dwarf, and then cancelling the orders. Alas, he just went back to the barracks and resumed the loop.

I am hoping that a drink, eat or sleep job will snap him out of it.

My marskdwarf squad consists of 2 dwarves. The leader is currently off duty (the squad has a 'at least 1' train order), which makes it even more strange, because who is he even organising / leading a combat demonstration for? There is no one to demonstrate it to.

EDIT: adding the 2nd dwarf to the training scehdule didn't help.
Unforbidding the stack of single bolts beneath my archery targets did help. Apparently the 10 single bolts in the stockpile were not sufficient to make the dwarf start practicing archery.

EDIT: crap, he's stuck on the loop again, even though there are plenty of bolts available now. The archery training only worked when only the archery range was set for training and not the melee barracks.

Free the barrack room might help.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57136 on: January 16, 2023, 08:11:20 am »

Yeah it does. If I want my marksdwarves to train shooting, I clear them from the barracks. If I want them to train in the barracks, I clear them from the archery range. Having both active at the same time gives the eternal loop problem.

In the barracks they still mostly train shooting skill though, through 'crossbow demonstration'.
To get them to train other skills, deleting their squad and temporarily turning them into a non-ranged squad works best.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57137 on: January 16, 2023, 11:19:48 am »

We were just finishing our basement sweep and I sent the lads to check an entrance I was pretty sure, but not certain I had already cleared. Cue:
Cavern dwellers! Send them back to the darkness!x3

My squads had gotten a bit scattered and Urist McPickdorf was way out ahead of everyone, now set upon simultaneously by 33 Batmen. I wrote him off as dead as reinforcements were still a ways off and strung out. Instead, Urist instantly decapitated the first bat to approach, entered a martial trance and just started killing. By the time it was over 6 dwarves had engaged, 33 bats were dead and one late arriving axedorf had a minor bite on his wrist. Urist McPicklord had 11 kills and no injuries.

And then I immediately drowned three civilians because I hadn't been paying attention to my construction designations.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57138 on: January 16, 2023, 12:10:45 pm »

Science is scary. My expedition leader is anxious after pondering the pulley and anxious after discussing the pulley.

EDIT:
I either missed piercing a cavern, or they are much deeper than I am used to. Dug down through 3 levels of soil, and 18 levels of stone, still no caverns.
It's not a single tile staircase either. I've got four 5x5 spiral ramp shafts going down.

EDIT: Ahhh, finally, broke through the ceiling of what looks to be the top cavern, 26 levels below the surface.
Haha, a large rat beelined up to my dining hall and stole a masterwork roast. Rat happy, chef unhappy.
Didn't know large rats could steal food.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 01:46:36 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #57139 on: January 18, 2023, 05:09:38 am »

Ah, Ratatouille.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #57140 on: January 18, 2023, 05:24:58 pm »

I just got Classic 50.05 working on my mac using W.I.N.E. Time to try it out!
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57141 on: January 18, 2023, 08:50:17 pm »

I've had the game crash twice on me while clicking on a construction while it was being completed.

Never gonna finish the queens palace at this rate

So while i was looking into my queen consort's relatives i noticed the prince and princess were her cousins. So checking their parents, the queen consort is the queen's niece. She married her aunt. Her father was Zefon, the queen's older brother.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 12:53:52 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57142 on: January 19, 2023, 01:49:11 am »

So while i was looking into my queen consort's relatives i noticed the prince and princess were her cousins. So checking their parents, the queen consort is the queen's niece. She married her aunt. Her father was Zefon, the queen's older brother.

Ah, the dwarven Habsburgs. Good to know they're still around.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57143 on: January 19, 2023, 11:28:07 am »

The crundle releases the grip of The crundle's right upper arm from The stray cat's right eye tooth

Heh I thought eye teeth were fixed years ago.

EDIT: rat men spearmen invasion!
This time my military was ready and prepared for them. Waiting a few years before piercing the caverns pays off.
Mixed squads working well. My wrestlers are holding the enemy in chokeholds, giving my axe- and speardwarves an easy job chopping off their arms and legs, and doing stabbity stab. Some excellent biting every once in a while too. Biting is awesome, once they latch on and start shaking limbs, arteries start opening.

I am tempted to try my next fort with seven dwarves with 5 points in biting and teaching. Biting doesn't happen often enough to level the skill, but perhaps with a headstart and training sessions, legendary biter could be possible.

EDIT: In other news, I was following a unhappy dwarf, and noticed that the attend meeting job did not take her to the count/expedition leader, but instead to the priest of her religion.
'she didn't feel anything while yelling at a priest'
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:07:43 pm by martinuzz »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57144 on: January 19, 2023, 07:02:11 pm »

Not a fortress but I don't think we have a "what's going on in your procgen history" thread....

Catten Ripestandards was a wild dwarf, a Baron of the Arches of Twilight. In the year 875 Catten and Id Whippedwing, corrupt broker and occasional athlete, became lovers.

Theirs was a happy relationship which lasted 13 years. This despite Catten being kidnapped by a night troll and transformed into a Horror Groom of Shadow a couple of months after they began dating.

Catten has one daughter from his brief time as a prisoner of Kulur the Tenebrous Abyss, female horror of shadow. It was something he and Id never discussed. Not the fact that he was now a large 3-eyed humanoid with thin wings of stretched skin and clear wrinkled skin. Id never feared the night.

After the break up, Catten moved away from home and sought solace in religion. And in the the year 908 became Holy Heaven of The Cerulean Doctrine, a human religion centered around the worship of Takru, human goddess of storms. This despite living in the sewer.

In the spring of 974, almost a hundred years after being changed into a night troll, Catten was eaten by a weremammoth.

The end.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57145 on: January 20, 2023, 11:15:46 am »

I was just minding my own business when a wereass attacked. I sent out a squad to take care of it, but a civilian handled it for me, somehow. Two dorfs got killed and one -a mason who killed the wereass- was severely injured and bitten. He rwas taken to the hospital before I had the thought of exiling him, so I had the dorfs build a wall around his hospital bed. As that was happening, not even 10 in-game days later, a three-dozen-strong goblin seige arrived. Two deaths, many injured. Many injured. The hospital overflowed and I scrambled to set up soapmaking. Then the bitten mason transformed. This meant he was fully healed now. So, in that mess of a hospital, I exiled him and broke the walls after he turned back. Then, just as he left the map, a giantess attacked the fort, and he was the first victim. Then the giantess descended down to the trade tunnel to meet with the elven traders who had just unpacked their goods. All three elves died. I sent out the least injured squad to kill her, but surprisingly, one of the elves, before dying of blood loss, had managed to kill the giant. All this happened in the same in-game month or so, give or take a 45 in-game days.

Then the mayor demanded a green glass throne to his bedroom. I am now considering sacrificing him to the first next thing that attacks the fort.

Just a month after all these, a hill titan attacked. A giant, feathery leech with a shell, that shoots webs. Incredibly dangerous. Practically unapproachable in melee. And slow. So slow, in fact, that by the time it got to the fortress entrance, I had already walled myself in and shut down the trade room. It began chasing after  the sheep and giant gray langurs outside, webbing them from a  moderate distance and then moving in for the kill. I started training a squad of marksdorfs to handle it, which took me an hour to figure out. I had just never done it before. The titan killed all the sheep and the langurs, then killed a 30-dorf migrant wave, and pack of wild boars. Then the human caravan arrived, waiting on the border due to not having a path to the depot. The marksman guards could take care of the titan easily with its total of two body parts to absorb damage, so took a calculated risk...

But I am mediocre at math.

I opened the trade depot. As soon as I did, the merchants started moving in. Two merchants, with a axeman and a maceman guards. No wagons. They all died. The dwarves rushed out to collect webs and those precious pig tail socks or whatever. 40 dorfs died that way, including the queen. I started to spam order stone coffins and expand the graveyeard fivefold. The pet graveyard filled to the brim toool, and ghosts became commonplace for some time. Then the goblins attacked, again, with a hundred people this time. The titan decimated them, but they did manage to take it out, just barely. Then I cleaned the leftovers.

I butchered the titans corpse, made nice clothing with its silk, and had a dorf make an artifact that depicts the deaths of dorfs killed by the titan.

I win.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57146 on: January 20, 2023, 06:44:47 pm »

Man. Highly-trained military dwarves are kinda broken. A titan came to my fortress and I sent a squad of ten axedwarves at it. They absolutely destroyed it without the slightest challenge and without getting hit. The moment these dudes chop a limb off the enemy's fate is just sealed. Doesn't matter what they're fighting. They carve goblins up like it's nothing. I have four dedicated squads (Axe, Spear, Hammer, and Mace, with 10, 9, 8, and 8 dwarves respectively) and often times I need only two to clear out a siege. They aren't even wearing steel, I can't make it here and I haven't scrounged enough steel from caravans to get even one squad outfitted. I shudder to think what these guys would do with full steel all around including weapons.

My fort, Motharrows, has 170 dwarves, thousands of food and drink, and so much gold that I can buy out entire caravans if I wanted (and the absurdly valuable roasts my cooks whip up can practically buy out caravans on their own, too). I like the chill atmosphere, but I am definitely embarking in a savage region next time.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57147 on: January 20, 2023, 07:20:11 pm »

So... Many... Books!
Ofcourse, I have to buy them all, because it's just really too much effort to search through the stocks list one by one to find out which of the dozens of codices are the ones on the caravan. Not to mention the stocks screen closes after every codex you look at.

My dwarves are reading nearly non stop nowadays.
Children should read too.

EDIT: Hah! My Duke made an artefact, and named it after himself. 'Chief' McUrist has created 'Chief' McUrist, a sleek rope read head veil.

Heh, more self reference
'On the item is an image of tetrahedral tetrahedra in bauxite'.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 08:45:22 pm by martinuzz »

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57148 on: January 20, 2023, 10:53:12 pm »

Well it's debatable whether it's *my* fort just yet, but having taken a quick look around a reclaimed worldgen fortress ruin, I think I can see why the previous inhabitants ran into trouble. Worldgen forts, remember, build a central shaft that plunges straight from the trade depot at the surface all the way down to the magma sea - seems like the design is unchanged in v50. This interacts poorly with the new obsidian Fun clusters scattered throughout the map. Unpausing produced both water and magma falling through the shaft, and multiple "something evil emerges" alerts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57149 on: January 20, 2023, 11:16:05 pm »

Right, time to choose my civilization and embark on a new fortress. Thousand year old world, bunch of dying civs and, ah OK The Sooty Paints. Population 9100, 11 sites. Small, but that'll do.

Monarch "Azstrog Evilbeak". I, er...doesn't seem very dwarflike. Maybe he's a goblin. Let's check Legends.

Azstrog EvilBeak, Hand of Lipullaslem. "An eyeless humanoid. It has large mandibles. It's charcoal skin is waxy. This night creature was created by the human mausoleum slayer Mesm Glitterthunder of Seamgood after horrible experiments on humans in Shrineswim in the year 870."

Well, good for him. To see a necromancer experiment rise to become monarch of a dwarven civilization just 130 years after their creation.

(Legends notes that he was originally a goblin dancer, and sometime author, turned criminal mastermind for a few centuries before being changed into a Hand of Lipullaslem in 874. Continued writing (masterful prose) and dancing, winning several competitions, and was declared our king in 934.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:22:32 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 3808 3809 [3810] 3811 3812 ... 3835