Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3810 3811 [3812] 3813 3814 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788090 times)

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57165 on: February 04, 2023, 11:13:43 pm »

I decided to start a new fort finally. Took me forever to find a proper embark--I checked five different worlds. Since I had no iron in my first fort, I wanted an embark with that metal. The vast majority of my worlds, however, were bizarrely lacking in iron (I'm not geologist, but judging from the literally thousands of tons of iron and steel used in modern society, I'm assuming iron is pretty common). I went with a swamp in my first world, since I had mineral scarcity cranked a bit too high there. Unfortunately, this place has a (admittedly light, but also more than several layers deep) aquifier, and I'm now discovering exactly why these things are considered insanely annoying by players. DFHack does have a cheat to bypass that, but that is...well, cheating.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:15:25 pm by YashaAstora »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57166 on: February 07, 2023, 07:01:06 am »

Convenient ways to dam up the ocean so I can drain a particular area?

In classic I recall using walls and dropping them from above so they'd land on the spot I wanted and block it off, but that doesn't seem to be working here.

My second consideration is just opening a massive hole to the caverns and letting the ocean drain into there while I try to build the dam

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57167 on: February 07, 2023, 11:11:26 am »

Convenient ways to dam up the ocean so I can drain a particular area?

Magma solves everything
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #57168 on: February 07, 2023, 11:12:44 am »

What if your problem is that you have too much magma?

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57169 on: February 07, 2023, 12:06:08 pm »

What if your problem is that you have too much magma?

It's like asking "Can God make a rock that God can't move"
There's technically a logic break, but if you have to ask the question you've sorta missed the point
but I digress

7 + 7 = █
g + 7 = ▒

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57170 on: February 07, 2023, 01:57:56 pm »

(*) Allowed emotionless creatures to satisfy needs if they still have them.
YES
YESSSSSSS
I might start playing 0.50 now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57171 on: February 07, 2023, 02:28:13 pm »

! My peons will be less distracted!

Oh, and the "made invader summons part of the invasion" now the critters my necros summon will wander off? Nice! Still not letting most of them hang around forever, want permanent summons to be less frequent than temporary ones.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 02:33:50 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57172 on: February 07, 2023, 07:51:52 pm »

It's so nice to see excessively large collections of farm plots now show how much they've been planted and in what stage of growth they're in :)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57173 on: February 10, 2023, 11:12:42 pm »

I was worried that my resident necromancer would be a problem, and that finally happened when the agitated giant crows arrived.

They killed two kobolds before they were kicked to death by horses.  I started engraving memorial slabs to the two dead citizens, just when I noticed that my citizen count went back up by two.  I checked the combat logs and saw that the necromancer had resurrected the dead as "ruined zombies" and they rejoined the fort as citizens.  That was pretty amazing.

Then the necromancer resurrected one of the dead giant crows, which promptly killed someone else.  After that, I'm not sure if a loyalty cascade started or if the necromancer just raised more zombies that were fighting my citizens, but by the time it was over the necromancer was dead, a quarter of the fort was dead and another quarter were in my tiny hospital with injuries that couldn't be cleaned because I accidentally embarked in a biome that froze and all of my injuries kept happening during winter.

That was a learning experience.  I'll try again in a better location next time, and will probably quarantine any necromancers I get if it happens again.

Not sure what to do about agitated wildlife.  I thought I'd embarked somewhere that I wouldn't have giant animals, but even the ordinary agitated crows were constantly interrupting people.  I hadn't even cut down that many trees.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57174 on: February 11, 2023, 04:00:06 am »

had ten of my swordsdrows earn combat names through killing a tag-team of necromancer intruders that kept resurrecting each other. They only went down for good when I could get them both dead on the same tick. Otherwise they kept gesticulating and resurrecting each other, lol.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57175 on: February 11, 2023, 04:05:54 pm »

Now that the cavern farms are producing abundant food, all the pigs are being slaughtered.  The bacon just isn't worth the 18 FPS.

had ten of my swordsdrows earn combat names through killing a tag-team of necromancer intruders that kept resurrecting each other. They only went down for good when I could get them both dead on the same tick. Otherwise they kept gesticulating and resurrecting each other, lol.

Sounds like excellent training for the sword masters

DwarfSpirit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57176 on: February 12, 2023, 04:02:38 pm »

Arîstiton, Assaulthalls, on the third reclaim due to some cart-before-horse cavern defense shenanigans, now going strong with 131 dwarfs in the year 516, 16 years after its initial founding and 11(?) since the last reclaim. The fort is very isolated due to abandoning the desert above; culturally the dwarfs are destitute, with one copy of an animal embryonics book in the library and, outside of our own almost-dead civ's history, knowledge of about four events involving big cats killing or being killed by humans. We have a map like swiss cheese from the reclaims making temporary staging forts (which were unnecessary anyway as the few rodent men left inside were indifferent on each reclaim) a 'final' fortress near the magma sea, and an in-the-process-of-being-entirely-outfitted-with-masterworks 'final FINAL' fort back near the surface.

At last count DFhack said there were ~570 rodent men on the map (down from 800) - I turned off their invasions several seasons ago and have tried a few defense designs out. I did some initial switchback kill-mazes with a marksdwarf and axedwarf squad - it worked fine, but the unending stream of combatants meant miasma, overexertion, and general stress came to be the greater issue. Additionally, there were many pockets of cavern one that were inaccessible, and the constant presence of hostiles meant that logging, roadbuilding, or tunneling to fix the issue was likely to end badly.

We have since built a water and magma pumpstack from the magma sea to the surface, and nearly the entirety of the fort is kitted out in training leather with steel axes and silver hammers, courtesy of the ratlinite from the first battle. The plan is to flood cavern one with magma to obsidianise the water and burn back the trees, then open up a revised entryway going heavy on pillboxes and ballistae. I still want the meleers to play a central role though, and I'll consider it 'mission accomplished' when every dwarf has some rodent men kills to their name. After that I'd like to pave the caverns and re-enable their default invasion settings to see whether they go extinct before my FPS becomes unrecoverable.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 04:24:31 pm by DwarfSpirit »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57177 on: February 14, 2023, 02:27:05 am »

Gravearmor is back up to 407 residents after the 76th migration wave in the fort's 45th year.
  400 dwarves:  384 adults, 14 children, 2 babies
  7 humans:  all adults, including 4 that were born here
Work continues, miners continue to die from accidents.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57178 on: February 16, 2023, 03:26:14 am »

Well, I don't mean to spam it but yes, I was walling off the Cavern entry points and wanted to make a perfect square and this happened:
https://youtu.be/I4ZJp_2qEb4

I do not intend to promote my content and all, if posting video links is considered wrong or rude, just let me know once and I won't post links, will type the entire story. Thank you.
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57179 on: February 16, 2023, 05:49:39 am »

I do not intend to promote my content and all, if posting video links is considered wrong or rude, just let me know once and I won't post links, will type the entire story. Thank you.

I don't know what the general sentiment is there, but personally, I never click on external links, so your video remains a mystery with no associated explanation.
Pages: 1 ... 3810 3811 [3812] 3813 3814 ... 3835