Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3811 3812 [3813] 3814 3815 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788329 times)

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57180 on: February 19, 2023, 07:46:59 am »

I do not intend to promote my content and all, if posting video links is considered wrong or rude, just let me know once and I won't post links, will type the entire story. Thank you.

I don't know what the general sentiment is there, but personally, I never click on external links, so your video remains a mystery with no associated explanation.

I made a fortress in the second cavern layer walls, I sequentially sealed off the entry points into the caverns. It was all covered on all 4 sides but there was one spot which was 1 block less from the boundary. Like:
C+++++C
CCCCCCC

well I opened up the lower wall and there was a lot waiting for me to open it, instantly big FUN. The video is the footage captured when opening the wall. That's all there is to it. 5 managed to survive the incident. Rest all died, a fire breathing worm FB came in as well charring everything in its path.
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

samsamtom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57181 on: February 19, 2023, 10:49:06 am »

a peasant just punched a giant cave spider so hard its running away...
AND NOW SHE IS SLEEPING IN THE CAVERNS.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57182 on: February 19, 2023, 03:28:28 pm »

well I opened up the lower wall and there was a lot waiting for me to open it, instantly big FUN. The video is the footage captured when opening the wall. That's all there is to it. 5 managed to survive the incident. Rest all died, a fire breathing worm FB came in as well charring everything in its path.

That sounds a lot like a dragon attack.  Hopefully the survivors aren't overrun with ghosts.

I just started a new fort to try and avoid FPS death: a 3x3 embark in a pocket world, not on an ocean beach, and with no turkeys.  The first caravan arrived and the outpost liason is a necromancer, carrying the special slab.  And in negotiations, I can request both sasquatch and yeti leather (which of course I did).

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57183 on: February 20, 2023, 11:49:57 am »

I started a fresh world with a ton of civs (I have several modded ones as well) and tons of (visible) caves. I let the world generate for 600+ years and then pulled up 2 copies of the game, one for fort mode & one for legends. I like to check out each civ and see if there's an interesting story to start my fort around. I found 2 interesting artifact weapons that had been stolen by kobolds, and after check out the original civ I found out they were both stolen from the same Dwarf civ! I had found my story, I'd embark on the cave and reclaim our treasures. I assigned my skills, picked my items, named my fort and embarked. Well, the first thing I see is a forbidden axe direclty under my wagon! I check it out - it's an artifact steel axe, just laying there. I look around the map, there are 12+ more artifacts just laying around. None of them are the 2 we're after though. The kobold's cave is just to the south of my dwarves's starting point. Time to hunker down and start getting ready for battle. We're going in.     

RandomEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill all those fucking elephants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57184 on: February 22, 2023, 06:40:53 am »

Catmurdered is doing great so far. The Magma Pit of Sacrificing Barons is complete, and we also obtained a legendary treasure made by Ganh II (who is also mayor, just like his pa): The Bristles of Blood! It is a steel battleax inset with onyx and menaces with spikes of jade. It bears engravings of a dwarf, a dwarf, four carp, a cheese, an elf, and the giant tiger "Scamps" (my pride and joy, a scarred battle beast bought as a cub from the pointy ears, RIP OG Scamps) in quartz. The dwarf is talking to the elf. The elf is screaming. The dwarf is dead. The cheese is terrified. The cheese is surrounded by the carp. "Scamps" is mutilating the elf (talk about biting the hand that feeds you!).

Lastly, there's been an… incident thanks to which Ganh I had to retire from the army and become a carpenter. The man was out on a patrol with his son and a guard dog, when Drekjarl (that's what I call it at least), a giant worm made of salt that had, against all scientific reason (ophidians can't have stingers…) a huge poison stinger. The dog was snapped in half (one of our artists commemorated it with a sculpture of the Drekjarl from its bones) and then Drekjarl focused its attention on the Ganh duo. It bit Ganh I's leg and arm off, then drove its stinger through Ganh II's eye.

Thankfully Ganh I was saved soon enough when a paramedic team came to rescue him. Ganh II stared down the beast with his one remaining eye and thrust the Bristles of Blood straight into its (heart? I don't know if it had one), causing the still ridiculously frail Drekjarl to crumble. We entombed its corpse out of respect, along with Ganh I's severed leg and arm (which had "sailed off in an arc!).

I used a single mod (one that adds magic prosthetics my friend made for me) that allowed Ganh I to make a full recovery. We're planning to replace his lost arm with a cannon and Ganh II's missing eye with a "ghost" variant (you can make it with ghosts, duh) that stops enemies he kills from reanimating (which better work or we'll still keep losing stuff daily to those BLASTED ZOMBIE KEA!).

So, in summary - a bit of sweet, a bit of sour, and a bit of crunchy.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 06:43:03 am by RandomEngraver »
A kobold in full *bismuth bronze armour* leaps out of the bushes, wielding an *adamantine two-handed sword*! It reminds you to take a break every now and then.
Currently working on - mod that makes Charr a playable civ.

RandomEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill all those fucking elephants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57185 on: February 22, 2023, 12:42:53 pm »

Catmurdered is doing great so far. The Magma Pit of Sacrificing Barons is complete, and we also obtained a legendary treasure made by Ganh II (who is also mayor, just like his pa): The Bristles of Blood! It is a steel battleax inset with onyx and menaces with spikes of jade. It bears engravings of a dwarf, a dwarf, four carp, a cheese, an elf, and the giant tiger "Scamps" (my pride and joy, a scarred battle beast bought as a cub from the pointy ears, RIP OG Scamps) in quartz. The dwarf is talking to the elf. The elf is screaming. The dwarf is dead. The cheese is terrified. The cheese is surrounded by the carp. "Scamps" is mutilating the elf (talk about biting the hand that feeds you!).

Lastly, there's been an… incident thanks to which Ganh I had to retire from the army and become a carpenter. The man was out on a patrol with his son and a guard dog, when Drekjarl (that's what I call it at least), a giant worm made of salt that had, against all scientific reason (ophidians can't have stingers…) a huge poison stinger. The dog was snapped in half (one of our artists commemorated it with a sculpture of the Drekjarl from its bones) and then Drekjarl focused its attention on the Ganh duo. It bit Ganh I's leg and arm off, then drove its stinger through Ganh II's eye.

Thankfully Ganh I was saved soon enough when a paramedic team came to rescue him. Ganh II stared down the beast with his one remaining eye and thrust the Bristles of Blood straight into its (heart? I don't know if it had one), causing the still ridiculously frail Drekjarl to crumble. We entombed its corpse out of respect, along with Ganh I's severed leg and arm (which had "sailed off in an arc!).

I used a single mod (one that adds magic prosthetics my friend made for me) that allowed Ganh I to make a full recovery. We're planning to replace his lost arm with a cannon and Ganh II's missing eye with a "ghost" variant (you can make it with ghosts, duh) that stops enemies he kills from reanimating (which better work or we'll still keep losing stuff daily to those BLASTED ZOMBIE KEA!).

So, in summary - a bit of sweet, a bit of sour, and a bit of crunchy.

Sadly, I just realized I didn't read the email my friend sent me with the link to the mod, and it explained within that the prosthetics are merely a modded booze item (read: syndrome-giving extract) that turns the drinker into a werebeast (and makes them shift) before removing it after an hour -sigh- Modding prosthetics won't be possible unless there's an overhaul.
A kobold in full *bismuth bronze armour* leaps out of the bushes, wielding an *adamantine two-handed sword*! It reminds you to take a break every now and then.
Currently working on - mod that makes Charr a playable civ.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57186 on: February 25, 2023, 12:16:48 pm »

After modifying yetis to spawn in larger groups, I forgot that applies to all subsequent world generations.  It was a peaceful embark along a brook passing between 2 mountains.  Then about 50 yetis arrived with the human caravan, killed them all, and most of the fort.  The Autumn caravan made it inside, but was dismembered while trying to leave after a successful trade.  The 6 survivors are now very unhappy, and are making memorial slabs in between meetings while the only dwarf in a good mood trains in the barracks by themself.  This is why I stockpile food and drinks.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57187 on: February 27, 2023, 02:46:49 am »

Multiple disabled gray langurs are dragging themselves along the fort entrance. They can't leave because of the walls. Funniest shit ever.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57188 on: February 28, 2023, 02:04:58 am »

Snapshot of Gravearmor v0.47.05
Year 46 Sandstone
80th migration wave
Pop: 427 dwarves, 7 humans
Animals: 307 (goats, cats, dogs, pea birds, geese, llamas, yaks, sheep, 48 g.cave toads in honor of y.k.w.)

Jobs a.t.m.:
38 no job
14 military training
10 detail wall
25 drink
12 dump item
17 eat
2 fell tree
1 gather plants
1 geld animal
1 harvest
84 individ combat drill
12 leading various demonstrations
5 listen to music
13 listen to story
2 make rock crafts
7 meditate on things
2 archery practice
19 spar
31 operate pump in *new* gymnasium
5 pen/pasture lg.animal
3 play
3 play instrument
6 play make belive
6 play with toy
9 praying
21 remove stair/ramp
1 rest
1 sing
17 sleep
4 socialize
5 soldiering
5 store item in bin
24 store item in stockpile
1 store personal item
1 stud with gold
1 tan hide
1 tell story
2 train animal
14 watch various demonstrations

Latest victim:  minotaur

Latest project:  extending a large natural cave shaft from the water up ~50z's to the surface outside the castle
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 02:25:50 am by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

DwarfsAreGoodTestSubjects

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Profile picture from Wikimedia under Public Domain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57189 on: February 28, 2023, 07:21:25 am »

Got one of the best miners ever. Absolutely amazing at her job. Looked at her profile and realized she hasn't socialized... Stopped her from working to get a break and she got a boyfriend immediately!

Assigned the guy to mining so they could mine with their loved one. He found an expansive cavern and decided to sleep in it. I thought he was going to die in there and lost his way, but he managed to pull himself out.
I love sweet tea just as much as dwarfs love beer.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57190 on: March 05, 2023, 12:30:18 am »

Ezum 'Big Head' Patternpage lead the expedition to the fortress...Patternpage.

Every statue was of him, and his face was engraved everywhere. You'd take the long ramp from the frozen island surface and pass by statues and columns of the illustrious benefactor on the way to the cavern-level trade depot. The fortress itself even lower, hidden away beneath the cave moss.

The dwarves there were happy. Everyone likes Big Head. Everyone did, that is, until the lizardmen came...

Depressedden was the one who skewered Big Head. The lizards almost saved him for last, but in their cruelty chose to let his son watch it all happen.

The news was slow to spread, but seven stout warriors heeded the call. The Shaken Lizards arrived two weeks later. Their vengence was bloody. Patternpage lives on, now without its progenitor, but his imprint is unmistakeable.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57191 on: March 05, 2023, 11:45:35 am »

in my drow city, a citizen who is frequently depressed and starts fistfights, fell in love with and married the law officer who repeatedly arrested her.

maybe this will improve her mood.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57192 on: March 05, 2023, 12:03:07 pm »

A goblin siege brought my first death in this fort after almost 7 years, where one of my militia kobolds rushed out ahead of the others.  He was a very skilled soldier, but neglected to put on his mail shirt and suffered a crippling injury from a silver spear stab to the shoulder that he failed to avoid.  In the ensuing fight, he had his tail cut off and lost a lot of blood.  He was rescued and the goblins all killed or routed, but sadly he bled to death shortly afterward despite no longer having the bleeding indicator.

While he was being buried and the siege was cleaned up, I had my first tavern brawl, where another kobold started a fist fight that involved punching someone in the head so hard he broke their neck.  They suffocated shortly afterward.  Shortly after that, I found someone drowned in the well, which I can only guess happened because they dodged there in an attempt to avoid him.  He got 57 days in a cage as a result, and was given military duty to replace the dead militia kobold.

Things settled down after that, though one of the kobolds has now become perpetually depressed at her friend rotting in the well.  I had no way to safely retrieve the body and settled on a memorial, without thinking about the consequences.  I hope she pulls through, since I don't seem to have any other ways to make her happy.  She feels nothing at most happy thought related events now.

Meanwhile, I've been building up my walls and adding fortifications to keep the goblin from climbing the walls, since a giant showed that was little obstacle.  At least the giant and ettin that shortly followed were massacred by my militia.

Then the flying titan showed that even walls aren't always enough, but it too was quickly put down with no further injuries.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57193 on: March 08, 2023, 05:36:41 am »

After breaching the caverns to promote underground forest growth in my fortress, things have started to get... interesting.
While this fortress was built in a relatively safe place close to existing dwarven and human settlements, I have been fighting an ongoing war against the dwarves after we liberated some artifacts from a few of their sites. So I have 5 squads of masterwork steel-equipped dwarves and humans.

The only time they posed a threat was when they claimed parley, then started coming into the fortress anyway (I think my negotiator may have a compromised ability to stand, so took too long to get to them and initiate the parley), but they quickly ended up smeared over the landscape.
I really need to finish off the rest of their civilisation.

But since breaching the caverns, things have been getting progressively more fun.

First, it was troglodytes pointlessly flinging themselves against my bastion, a gatehouse populated by an always active squad. I've since set up cage traps to stop them, and am now working on taming collaterally captured naked mole dogs and elk birds. Any trogs caught in cages get pitted. Some manage to jump out, despite it having smoothed walls and being 5 layers deep, which makes for interesting times.

Then it was cave crocodiles nibbling on kids collecting logs.

Then the batmen appeared. They managed to get into the fortress, but proved ineffectual, killing precisely one cat.

But they were just the advance force. What followed was a relatively harmless Forgotten Beast that even so, managed to run in to my Queen who was on her own having been separated from her squad, and it promptly webbed her and put a foot through her head. It managed to kill two more squaddies before finally being despatched.

So I'm now waiting for a new monarch to appear.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57194 on: March 08, 2023, 07:00:33 pm »

in my drow city, a citizen who is frequently depressed and starts fistfights, fell in love with and married the law officer who repeatedly arrested her.

maybe this will improve her mood.
Nothing like a little domestic violence to spice up a drow's life.
Pages: 1 ... 3811 3812 [3813] 3814 3815 ... 3835