Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven feedback messages and comment boxes.  (Read 998 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Dwarven feedback messages and comment boxes.
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:07:46 pm »

I searched a few terms, and couldn't find anything to post onto.  (I'm sure Vattic will come along and prove me wrong with some better search term, though...)

Anyway, this is a short one (at least for now) that spawned after I was thinking about some of the

Spoiler: The Problem (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Solution (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Comment Boxes (click to show/hide)

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven feedback messages and comment boxes.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:01:26 am »

I like the idea, but I think it might be better to have grievances displayed with graffiti. Like in Pompeii, the whole town was just covered with obscene drawings and public messages detailing this rumor or that complaint. It'd be like an engraving only detailing a dwarf's thoughts rather than their interests. It'd also leave some more interesting ruins to explore since an adventurer would be able to piece together a rough history of the fort and it's residents just by looking at the walls.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:04:14 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 02:08:13 am »

I like the idea of graffiti, but "smoothing" implies it's engraved on par with a proper engraving.  Honestly, chalk messages on dark stone works well, and having some poor dwarf on cleaning duty go around with a pig tail cloth and bucket of water to wipe the "Mayor Asmel is an elf-hugger!" off the walls is rather amusing. 

You could have it "discovered", as well, although probably not with the pop-ups, just another social report.  This would mean that you could have a serial vandal in your midst, and have to track the offender down, like a vampire, but less lethal.

The only problem would be making the consequences of graffiti something to care about.  Maybe it lowers property value or something, making your taverns less valuable?  My first reaction would be to make the mayor more likely to lose election if you let rumors spread behind their back, but this isn't Tropico, you don't really lose the game if someone else is elected...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:46:47 pm »

I like it, a lot. +1
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.