Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Fifteen: More NationGen [Game Ended]  (Read 26709 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was mostly joking, since my last three games used that map. Though Pymous does have a smaller map in the same style.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Two smaller maps in the same style. :p you forgot Atha Avin.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Biddyn looks nice. I'd vote for this one.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Two smaller maps in the same style. :p you forgot Atha Avin.
That one isn't endorsed by our Vice President.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, barring any unforeseen catastrophic awfulness that snuck in necessitating a quick-turnaround 0.5.0.11E, we have our NG patch for the game.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool, you want to give us a seed?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

0.5.0.11E: http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/nationgen-for-dominions-4/page/13#1046448

A couple of quick fixes, including something that's been bugging me (and probably me alone :p) since last summer.

I'll pull up an MA seed for us in an hour or three.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All right, I give you NG 0.5.0.11E seed #394439665, Wicked Desert.

Generate this locally with all default settings, to include MA, and with 100 nations. Then go ahead and start having a look-see and figure out which ones interest you. On Sunday or Monday at the latest, I'll randomly generate a round-robin draft order, and we'll do two rounds of selection, and one round of playing spoiler and nixing the worst of our neighbors' sins.

Edit: if you absolutely must look at the nations from within Dominions right from the get-go, use the following three subsets of seeds below to generate mods of size 40, 40, and 20, which will let you review all 100 nations piecemail.

Spoiler: 1-40 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 41-80 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 81-100 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:18:08 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nagot gick fel (or whatever): too many sprites in a mod
:( what do?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You'll need to chop the generated mod up, I guess. It should be able to handle 33 nations at a time or whatever. I'll use the mod inspector tool and the generated text files to narrow down my choices before I want to load them up in game anyway.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's too big to load in Dominions. Use the description/.dm files to browse and pick likely candidate nations (or open it in the Mod Inspector, though last time we found that for reasons unknown there were a few units that never showed up); once you have one or two nations you like, open the .dm, find their individual nation seed right at the top, then specify that seed on the second NG tab to generate a subset mod for a more manageable number of nations.

[Edit: I'm usually fine up to at least 40. If you want to look at a whole bunch at once, you can look at the first 40 by only generating that many with the given seed and loading the resulting mod; they'll be the same as the first 40 of the full 100-nation mod. That won't help you see the other 60, though... :p]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 04:44:42 pm by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having skimmed the mod in an extremely superficial way, I'm relatively pleased with the outcome. Looking only at coarse-grained classifications, our national breakdown is as follows:

Code: [Select]
Type  Primary races Secondary races
Human 38 17
Lizard 9 9
Atlantian 3 3
Agarthan 9 2
Hoburg 3 4
Abysian 8 6
Caelian 7 0
Ape 11 6
Zotz 0 0
Fomorian 6 2
Van 1 4
Sidhe 0 0
Ichtyid 2 0
Avvite 2 3
Vaetti 1 1
Caveman NA 3

So only zotz and sidhe are missing, which isn't too bad.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 04:50:32 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

D: I have to put work in my fun?

Can I, like, delete some stuff in the .dm file so as to look only at a batch of nations?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a list of only the nation seeds. Take a fraction of that list and paste it into the box in the NationGen options tab to generate a mod with only a fraction of the nations.

On an unrelated note, for a more casual nationgen experience in the future we could come up with some kind of hashing scheme to transform say, our usernames, into nation seeds and then immediately try to have a game with whatever terrible results emerge.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:01:11 pm by Karlito »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hehe. I like the inherent awfulness of that idea. Another day I might just be interested in that...

I added three lists to the post where I gave the seed; they split the nation-seeds into digestable chunks of 40, 40, and 20 that can be used to generate 3 separate mods if you want to go that route for unit review. Do be aware that not all unit abilities will be described in-game, particularly shapechanging abilities. These are, however, laid out in the Advanced Descriptions file, and of course the .dm.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18