Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: I told them I could be anything...  (Read 25880 times)

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I told them I could be anything...
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 06:00:42 pm »

Snark and sarcasm aside, perhaps it was a good idea to foster some form of bond with this woman - if only because there was always the possibility that she was going to make some form of official report on this little outing you had gone on with her.

Though you weren't exactly certain how she would react to finding out just what your interests were - there were people who were regarded as nerds, bookworms, people that loved to study and learn and you... Well, you were of that variety, certainly, but you found a certain type of information and learning to be more to your persuasion.

She wouldn't laugh, would she?
No, she wouldn't dare, she was your captive audience, here to appease you.
Here, to ensure that you were content so that they had no issues with studying you, quantifying you, classifying you and shipping you off to be another cog in their magical workplace machine.
Sans magic.
Your studies so far had told you that there was no such thing outside of books.

"Well, I... It's silly," you teased, opting to go with the route where you could later say that she had asked for it when she undoubtedly took the bait.
Or was it you who had taken her bait?
Perhaps it was both of you whom had baited the other.

"No, go ahead, I promise I won't laugh," Millicent responded, as predicted.
"Promise? It's... Well..."
"Hey, it can't be any worse than my dreams of being a princess when I was younger," she laughed, in what you took to be an attempt to reassure you.
"I think most girls dream of that, so that's hardly a big admission."
"I went around in a big ruffle covered satin pink dress wearing a tiara in public until I was five."
"Well, that's a little more-"
"I still have the little plastic tiara in my glove compartment-" she paused, nudging it open as she took one hand from the wheel to reveal that worn tiara, one that had seen all the abuse of a growing girls childhood. It had once been sparkly, painted silver and covered in glittery pieces of mirrored glass.
Once. Now it was worn until the plastic beneath was revealed, now, there were spots that showed where some of the faux gemstones had been set in with glue.

"Okay," you breathed as she flipped the glove compartment closed, resolving that yes, you would tell her a little about your interests, about what you loved so much to do in your spare time. "I like to read a lot in my spare time - not just any kind of thing though. I like to study mythology, history, ancient cultures and practices-"
"Ooh, like ancient egypt and-" Millicent started, only to hold up her hands to appease you as you immediately gave her the dirtiest look you could muster.
"That is just a single over-exposed facet of this and no, I don't believe I'm a reincarnation of Cleopatra before you ask!"
"People actually accuse you of that?"
"...Sometimes," you responded, your cheeks flushing with embaressment.
"So, who would you like to be a reincarnation of, if you could choose?" she teased, as she turned to steal a glance at you.
"Someone more interesting, like... Boudica or Joan of-"
"Ah, so you'd like to be a warrior queen or something of the like, I can't blame you though, though you... You don't really have the figure to be such."
"Again with my figure," you huffed, folding your arms over your chest as you did so. "I don't put weight on easily, I have a fast metabolism."
"Oh, I hate you so much, I eat a bar of chocolate and it goes straight to my-"
"Too much information!"
"Hey, I wasn't going anywhere with that," she laughed, "I have to keep it clean on the job."

You understood now why they set you up with this woman, she seemed to be very, very good at whatever it was she was supposed to be doing. That, or very, very lucky as she had so far made you feel as if... As if you were bickering with someone you'd known all your life. You felt at ease, inclined to talk about things without fear of judgement, as if the worst she could do was tease you on a point to get you to-
Oh, she was doing that to get you to defend your points more passionately.
Sneaky.

"I also like all the myths and legends each culture has, how they diverge from the likely histories that we know of them, and-"
"There's usually some form of basis for a fantastic story, that came from a real world event."
"Exactly, like if you look at the stories of King Arthur, you get something that could be based events during the roman occupation of england. If you look at, on the other side of the spectrum say, the magic and rituals used by ancient people, you get how their superstition shaped what they believed in as they hadn't yet learned how the world works in the way we understand it."
"Some people still believe in magic, though."
"Some people, yes, typically isolated tribes in the less developed parts of the world, where they have their own myths and legends shaped by their cultures. It is interesting though how many of these cultures share themes in their myths though, like coyote trickster spirits or..."
"It suggests we're all connected on some primal wavelength, huh?"
"Maybe," you paused to look out of the passenger side window for a long moment, watching the darkening skies give way to neon signs and brightly illuminated streets. "It's odd how we're not sure what to believe though when it comes to the past few hundred years. There's stories of powerful beings doing battle, but there's no evidence they ever existed, and there's the recent trend of people showing talents that are-"
"It's not a recent trend."
"It isn't?"
"No, it's just more publicised as the stigma over it has been overcome in part by our efforts to raise awareness instead of allowing those whom actively manifest such talents to spend their lives hiding them out of shame."
"You said... Actively. Does that mean that a lot of people never realise they have-"
"Fewer than that, but yes, outside of a handful of people born with talents that manifest actively, you get a scattered net of people that never realise they're special."
"How long do you think this has been the case?"
"How far back do myths go?" Millicent smiled as she twisted the wheel of the car, turning it into the parking lot of one of the brightly illuminated supermarkets.

You weren't certain what to make of this.
You had been expecting her to simply patronise you, to give you some verbal equivlent of a 'that's nice dear' response and simply nod and smile as she listened to you talk about your interests. Instead, she had made you feel as if it wasn't so odd that you found all of this to have been facinating, that perhaps there was a precedent for these stories, that perhaps...
Perhaps there was a reason you were so drawn to them.

"Ah, shit," came the womans voice from beside you as she peered across the parking lot towards the supermarket, "This isn't good."
"What's wrong?" you asked, surprised by how the womans expression had turned, even partially obscured by shadows as it was, into a clear mask of disgust.
"Look. What do you see?" she asked as she pointed towards the doors of the supermarket.
"I don't... See anything?" You responded quizically as you glanced between her and the building.
"Exactly. It's all lit up and open and... There's no movement," she muttered, pausing as you caught the faintest shift in her features - as if she was scenting the air. "I'm pretty certain the roof'll be swarming with vultures. That's normal though, they're only a threat if provoked and they're more inclined to scavenge than hunt..."
"You're not going to go look, are you?" you paused, drawing your arms about yourself as the rising tide of anxiety within you threatened to take grip. "That's..."
"Shit, shit, shit," she hissed as she removed her seatbelt, opened the door and half stepped from the car. With one foot still inside, she paused, leaning against the top of the doorframe as she stared at the brightly lit shop front for a long moment. "Alyssa?" came her voice once more, as she stepped fully from the car.
"Yes, Millicent?" you responded, as you dug your nails into your palm.
"Protocol dictates that I can't leave you in the car alone, as I have to be present to ensure your well being. It'd look bad if I simply called in the police and this turned out to be nothing more than a quiet night, so I need to take a closer look..." she paused as she leaned down to look back into the car, her face obscured by the shadows cast by the street lights. "I don't want to endanger you if this is something serious, however. Are you okay with coming with me to get confirmation, or shall I call in that there's a potential disturbance?"

You swallowed, nervously as the question was put to you, though you knew she was waiting on you to answer.
Did you suggest she played it safe, so you could avoid any potential danger?
Did you go with her, figuring that it couldn't be too serious if she was willing to take you with her?
Did you fall silent, unable to handle being put on the spot like this?
Did you have other ideas?

---

Ah, I didn't expect to see this back! Gonna be as fantastic as the first, no doubt.

I'll give making it so my best shot!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 09:16:28 pm »

Go with her, but ask for a weapon. If nothing is available, play it safe, or offer to stay in the car and not tell anyone.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 12:37:02 am »

Go with her, but ask for a weapon. If nothing is available, play it safe, or offer to stay in the car and not tell anyone.
+1, but also ask if this is a test.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 02:09:26 am »

Onwards! Whatever's in there, it won't get the better of us!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 05:43:18 am »

"I... I don't..." You started as you glanced nervously between the supermarket and the woman, "I don't know, I... I need a moment to think."
"You do that, I need to unlock my car boot," came Millicent's response as she stepped behind the car, taking a moment to fiddle with the lock of her boot.
"Is this really happening, or is it... Is it part of the tests?" you asked, swallowing as you told yourself that this could all be something that had been constructed from start to finish to quantify what you were capable of - or if you were capable of anything at all. You knew better than to trust any of this at face value, yet...
"This is no test, field evaluation is reserved for exceptional individuals in training, not for unknowns that may or may not be capable of surviving an encounter," came the womans response as she rummaged in the boot of her car.
What was she looking for, anyway?
"So, this is actually happening, and... and..."
"This is happening. Most of the tests they do to quantify your abilities are done in a controlled and calm enviroment so you're not spooked. We're not reckless."
"So, you're getting your gun, right?"
"Gun?"
"You're an agent of whatever deparment and-"
"I'm a community liason, I'm not authorised to carry a gun without prior authorisation, this doesn't work like some action movie, Alyssa."
"So... You're going to go over there with what?"
"Tire iron," came her matter of fact response as she slammed the boot shut again.
"You're going to risk my safety with nothing more than that!?"
"You're coming then?"
"But protocol says you can't leave me here alone and-"
"You won't tell if I do, you'll be glad to-"
"No! You can't leave me here!" you cried, feeling yourself grow hysterical now as the reality of the situation started to sink in. You were about to be left to sit here in the darkness, by someone who was supposed to be watching over you, who was about to go and get themselves killed in whatever situation awaited them at the supermarket.
"I'm not going inside, I just need to get close enough to get a look through the doors so I know who to call. The police, to come deal with a situation, or the guys back at the facilities to bend the rules and pamper you as you've had a scare tonight. Just wait there, I'll be back before you know I'm gone."
"No-no-no, I'm not staying here alone!" you whimpered as you unbuckled your seatbelt and all but flung yourself from the passenger seat of the car.
"Then take the tire iron and hold my hand, the tarmac's wet and the last thing we want is to fill in paperwork to say you broke your ankle because your arch-nemesis gravity conspired with physics to end you before you were able to get to the confectionary section of the supermarket."
"That's... That's a really weird way of putting it," you mumbled as you took the offered lump of metal from the other woman, your fingers closing about it as you felt the weight of it pulling your hand down. She had a point though, it was wet out and with the light of day having given way to night, you could easily trip or slip.

Your free hand sought hers out as you permitted your fingers to entwine with hers.
They weren't the hands of a gentle person - they were the hands of someone stronger than their size suggested.
You couldn't believe that you had allowed yourself to be drawn into this.

"Could you... Could you keep talking while we..." you mumbled as the pair of you edged across the parking lot carefully, as Millicent slowly skirted around the baleful pools of light cast over the wet ground by the lamp posts that reached all the way towards the front entrance.
"Sure, honey. What do you want me to talk about?" came Millicent's response, in softer tones now as she gave your hand a reassuring squeeze.
"Do they have any idea what I am?"
"I can't answer that, if they have any idea what your likely classification will be, then they don't tell us in advance as we don't need to know."
"What are the classifications they have for people they test?"
"Everybody starts out as an unknown, self explanatory. There's gifted types, that's what most people fall into, it's everything from savant like talents, to abilities that don't have any major impact, such as speaking to animals. Occasionally we get faux-immortals, people that are near unkillable by conventional methods who may or may not be talented beyond that. There's a few types of them," she paused, leaning to the side for a moment as if trying to peer around the frame of the door despite being much too far away before she resumed leading you along once again.

It felt as if she was leading you to your doom, but you were at least getting something from her.

"Do you get true immortals?"
"Not that I have ever seen. If we have, then they never passed through my department."
"What other types of people do you get?"
"We occasionally see echoes, they're false-positives, they read as something more than they are. Between you and me, I think you might be one. To be honest, I hope you're one."
"Why?"
"Because then you can go home safe in the knowledge you're normal," came her laughter, followed by a brief squeeze of your hand. "Trust me, nice as it might be to think you're special, it makes you feel all the more isolated and... It's horrible, feeling as if you're not the same as the people around you, sometimes."

It was your turn to give her hand a gentle squeeze as you came to a halt, the tire iron awkwardly dangling at your side as you inwardly cursed that you could only use the one hand for this gesture of compassion.

"If I'm not special... We can still keep in contact, right?"
"Yeah, but-"
"I can be your friend. No judgement, no treating you like you're different. You don't have to be alone that way."
"I don't know, I'll... Consider it, but I am old enough to be your mother."
"I'm not that young, and you're not that old."
"I'm fifty seven."
"You look late twenties, tops."
"Welcome to my other crappy gift, I don't age physically any longer, but I'm still looking at dying around seventy five to ninety years old."
"Are there... Are there any other types of classification?"
"That's a terrible attempt to change the subject young lady," Millicent chuckled as she pulled you along once again. "I don't blame you though. We're almost near enough to get a good look and-" She paused, hissing as she did so. "Shit. That looks like blood. Okay, we're not getting any closer. I really hope my phone's charged..."

The other woman reached into one of her pockets to retrieve her phone, an older model of one than you would have expected, one that she flipped open with her thumb.
You could see the phone light up in the darkness, numbers gently illuminated by the light emitting diodes that sat beneath the face plate, numbers, that the woman frantically tapped at before she brought her phone to her ear.

"Come on, come on... Yes, this is Agent Millicent Cross of- No, I don't have my papers on hand to read out those details, so you can damn well cross reference my biometrics and pull the authentication data from the tracking chip in this phone. I need police assistance at this location as there the Supermarket here is- Very well, I'll hold." she grumbled, her hand tightening about your own as she did so.
"Is everything okay?" you asked, though your question fell on deaf ears as the other woman tapped her foot impatiently.
"Ah. Yes, I'm still here. What do you mean your scans... Oh. No, I can't promise I'll remain on site- Damnit," she muttered the final word as she placed her phone back in her pocket, before starting to lead you back towards the car.
"What did they say?" you asked as you glanced back at the supermarket nervously. How had she seen blood from this distance?
"They ran a quick check on the site and picked up something that warrants them deploying a guardian. Do you know anything about the guardians?"
"It's my turn to say that's a terrible change of subject-"
"Shut up, I get to be a hypocrite. I'm pretty sure the latin on the badge in my wallet says so."
"The guardians are... Golems, from the victorian war, right?"
"Not quite, they're a group that was folded into the police force,  they're now the mechanised division they send when there's something really bad. Whatever's in there's way beyond a tire iron."
"I saw one of those in a museum once, the brass robot ones that is. They upgraded them for the police?"
"Hell if I know," came Millicent's response as she hauled you onward, "You're the history lover here, I just know enough to do my job without issue."
"But, if they're the robots from then-" you paused.
"We can continue this in the car," Millicent huffed as she started to pull at your hand again. "Unless you really want to stay and deal with whatever questions they have?"

Did you wish to stay, to see whatever this guardian was and inevitably answer whatever the questions they had were with your ignorance over the entire situation, did you wish to leave, or was there some other option you felt better to pursue?

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 07:39:33 am »

We should leave. It would be nice if we could convince Millicent to let us stay long enough to catch a glimpse of the Guardians, though.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 12:15:44 pm »

Just leave. Staying seems dangerous, especially if whatever's in there puts up a fight, and we can look up the guardians later.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 12:22:54 pm »

PtW and catch up when I'm able.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 07:49:30 pm »

"No," you breathed in response, any of your wilful nature that had been in your voice prior gone with the reality that you were potentially in grave danger here. "I don't think we should stay, not if they're sending... Something like that, because what you saw is so dangerous. I'd like to see one, but I don't want to risk... Finding out what any side in this is capable of, up close."
"Smart, if this was a test i'd be writing you up as level headed," Millicent smiled, a smile you were able to just catch as you skirted around the pools of light cast by the lamps on the way back to her car.

Level headed, that was a new one.
Especially as here you were considering everything to be a potential conspiracy and mentally questioning everything.
Perhaps that was smart, given the circumstances.
Question everything, but don't call attention to it unless it truly warranted such.

"Is that something they look for in tests?"
"I don't know, I don't do the tests. If I did, that's something I'd look for though. Who wants people with some kind of supernatural edge running around on a power trip, after all?"
"Was it something they looked for in you?"
"We had different tests back when I was assessed, and the follow up ones they did here and there when they changed the system told them that I didn't have anything special about me that they had missed the first time."
"If we..." you started, mentally formulating a reasonable excuse to delay your departure by mere moments, to give you a chance to see the Guardian if it arrived, only for your train of thought to be derailed as Millicent shushed you.
"There's a vulture on the roof of my car."
"So, we need to get rid of it?"
"Yes, but not in an aggressive way."
"You said they're not something we need to worry about now-"
"I said they're more docile than they used to be. Assuming we hit it and it alerts the others, how many more do you think are in the area?"
"Um... Probably thousands."
"Exactly. Now, these things are lazy scavengers motivated by greed, when they're not hungry enough to eat pidgeons. Watch," Millicent stated as she reached into one of her pockets to remove what looked like a shiny teal package wrapped in blue paper.
"What's that?"
"Mints," she stated as she tore the package open, pushed the first one from inside it into her palm and cast it across the parking lot.

There was a clack as the hard mint struck against the ground, followed by the sound of it skittering away into the darkness. That was all it took for the vulture, the dark shape that resided atop the car to let out a hoarse croak as its wings fluttered, as it leapt down and waddled along after the mint.
For a brief moment, you were able to catch sight of the vulture, a bird that appeared little like any vulture you had ever seen in books on natural creatures. It looked like an oversized blackbird of sorts, though more bloated and covered in patchy feathers.
Come to think of it, there seemed to be a general relucatance for various groups to add these corrupted creatures into the typical books you'd read.

"Millicent, can I ask you something?"
"Sure, but we need to get going," came her response as she opened the driver side door and clambered into her car.
"Why don't we know much about these things, about the guardians, about the creatures that still infest the city?" you asked, as you opened the passenger side door and climbed into the car after her.
"Simple, people don't care enough," came the womans words as she started the engine, as her hands and feet shifted in the darkness, prompting the car to lurch into reverse.
"People don't care enough?"
"Take the vultures, they're not cute or friendly. Take the other things that share their nature, they're often not cute either and never, ever friendly. People care about things that are cute, or going extinct. Like tigers."
"I don't care about tigers."
"What do you care about?" she asked as the car started to move forwards now, pulling out of the parking lot and onto the main road.
"Stories. Legends. Folk lore."
"Yeah, that stuff'll go extinct too, what with the sugar coated fairy tales butchering and wearing the originals skins like some kind of-"
"Like some kind of what?"
"Do you think that was what we saw back there?"
"What was what we saw where? I'm confused," you huffed, not following the woman. Somewhere along the line she'd left out a vital direction you needed.
"It's not important. Getting back to your question though, people don't exactly have an easy time documenting these things as they're mostly nocturnal and most of them are aggressive. As for everything else, there you have an indifferent media that knows the best way to get viewers is to tell them about the latest celebrity scandal as people want to invade the personal lives of others for entertainment, or pretend they're relevant to the world because they're horrified by the earthquake across the globe. It's sick. People just want to turn a blind eye to the real problems, taking that old world approach that it's not right to talk about it. Sweep it under the rug, let those with the job to deal with it suffer in silence. Welcome to the guardians plight, nobody gives a damn that they exist, as they're mostly operational at night."

Right on cue, the sound of a jet engine started to tickle at the edges of your senses.
That had to be the guardian, didn't it?
There was no reason they'd let a plane fly through a residential part of London at night, so it had to be.
You twisted, you turned, you struggled to see where the sound was coming from, yet in the gloom of night you could make out little more than a bright spot in the sky approaching the supermarket.
If you'd just waited a little longer, you'd have been able to see it.
And... Likely been in danger, now you thought about it.

Beep, beep, went the phone in Millicents pocket, followed by a disgusted sigh as she reached for the phone, as she flipped it open, held it by the steering wheel and pressed a button to activate the speakers.

"This is Jay-Zero-One-Three-Seven-Zero. You are not on site," came a flat, vaguely female voice.
"Oh, forgive me officer, I wasn't aware it was mandatory for me to do so," came Millicents response, dripping with sarcasm and disgust - something that was a surprising change of direction from what you'd seen so far from her.
"You shall turn your vehicle about and return."
"I shall do nothing of the sort."
"If you do not comply-"
"Then you will come to my department and you will collect my statement in person. I know my rights and I am pretty certain that they state that I don't have to twiddle my thumbs in the middle of a warzone."
"Failure to comply-"
"Will be met by appropriate action. Goodbye, officer," she grunted, as she snapped her phone shut once more.

Only for it to ring once more immediately afterwards.
No sooner had she repeated the process of opening it, a new, flat, but vaguely masculine voice came over the speakers.
"This is Director-E-"
"I'm sorry, I don't need assistance with the directory listings, operator," she responded quickly, snapping the phone shut again as she twisted it about - this time ignoring it as it as the ringing renewed - as she fiddled with the case, popped something distinctly plastic from it with an audiable click.
Then, little by little she pried the battery loose, resulting in the ringing to coming to an abrupt stop.

"I'm in SO much trouble," she sighed, as she half stole a glance in your direction. "But, I am not going to endanger you by taking you back there," she added, as she half mumbled under her breath "You're just a kid after all."
"I'm not a kid, i'm an adult," you stated, as softly as you could, despite how you could feel your stomach twisting and the same sensation of anxiety and nausea that had plagued you this day taking root once more. It seemed as if your entire world had turned upside down in an instant, as if the curtain had been lifted and you had found that it wasn't some grand conspiracy to keep people in the dark - it was mere ignorance and indifference that did so.
"Young adult. You're what, nineteen?"
"...Yeah."
"I'm near pension age, you're a kid to me still. I'll be damned if i'll let you puff up your chest and assert your independance. You can adult all you like in the morning, but right now it's dangerous and I... I'm sorry, I just don't want to see you get hurt."

You felt defeated, beaten into submission by the other womans sudden assertiveness.
What was it with these people and their ability to supress even the wilful wiles of a teenager who knew it all and was ready to tackle the world head on?
These people, who thought that maybe, just maybe you had been born with a gift.
These people, who claimed to be acting out of altruism, desiring nothing more than to put you to use in a way that was fitting for whatever talents you supposedly had.
Had you been born with a gift, though, or were you just an echo as it had been put?
Tomorrow would tell.

"I can find another supermarket, get you tea and chocolate still, if you want, unless... Unless you just want me to take you to our facilities so you can settle down for the night?"

What was it to be?
Did you want to stay out a little longer, to get those things you'd been promised?
Did you want to head back, settle down and rest while you could in a strange enviroment?
Did you have something else on your mind, that took priority?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 04:37:51 am »

Tea and chocolate sounds really good right now.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 06:51:50 am »

Tea and chocolate sounds really good right now.
+1. I think we could both use it to wind down a bit.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »

This was certainly something to put thought into, though that thought was less over the matter of what exactly you wanted and more towards the nature of just what you could get away with asking for given the circumstances.
There were always the all night supermarkets, though the question was, would the ones in London have café's that were also open at all hours?
The prospect of getting the tea upgraded from a few boxes of such to enjoy as you pleased, to cups of it while you had cake was... Certainly not without appeal.
Yes, this was what you desired at this moment - tea, cake, chocolate, a bath, a massage and an army of pretty guys and girls to enact your plans of world domination. Failing the latter half of those, the former would suffice.

Perhaps it was adrenaline, fear, anxiety and stress making you loopy, but world domination also sounded good right now. If you controlled the world, you could easily enforce rules that would stop you having to go near anything that threatened your well being.
Or, you know, wage war on France.
You were english, after all.

"Do you know of any places that'd have their café open at this time?" you asked as you fiddled with the sleeves of your hoodie, for a moment pulling them over your hands as you considered that if you were accepted, that they were going to either have to provide you with new clothes, or bring yours down to London from home.
The former would be nice, though it was probably wistful thinking on your part that they'd do more than simply run you through a quick test and justify that expense.
"There's probably a few, you want to get tea and relax before we go get yelled at by the shit-head in charge of the shift?"
"They'll yell at us?"
"Sure, I told a Guardian off, the LPD don't like taking shit from anybody."
"Oh. I don't want you to get into trouble..."
"It'll be fine, I'm pretty sure I outrank them, being a government agent and all. Always with the agent business, mingling with individuals of great importance."
"I thought you said-"
"Hey, it's technically true, I am a government agent on paper. I'm about as important as an estate agent in the scheme of things, but that doesn't mean I don't have some status."
"Uh-huh."
"Pretend you're impressed or I'll file my report with the frowny face stamp."
"Okay, okay, I'm totally impressed. Can you claim going to the café as expenses?"
"You bet."
"Think we could get cake, too?"
"Lets live big," came her response as she half turned to look at you. "Really big. A slice of cake each and a medium sized cup of tea."

"Between us, or each?" you laughed despite yourself, you hated to think what your friends would think if they knew you were laughing at the kind of jokes their parents would tell.
"Hey, this is tax payers money, lets not go overboard."
"I'm sure if I was to threaten legal action, given I've been traumatised tonight..."
"Fine, fine, you win!" came Millicent's response as she threw her hands up - briefly - in mock exasperation before she took the wheel again. "A large cup of tea, each, as well as a slice of cake from the middle tier of the menu instead of the budget stuff!"
"Don't forget the chocolate."
"I'm about to plug the battery back into my phone and ask the LPD for amnesty here!"
"You wouldn't dare," you teased, as you mock pouted. It didn't matter if she couldn't see it, you were getting carried away with the moment.
"Oh, you want to call my bluff, do you?" she responses, tsking as she did so. "Plug the battery back into my phone for me and we'll see who's bluffing."
"There's a fatal flaw with your plan here..."

You smiled to yourself as you shifted to get comfortable in your seat, it almost felt as if everything was going to be okay now.
At least as you remained inside the car with Millicent, you didn't feel as hopeful about things once you were out of her hands.

Moment after long moment passed as the city went by, often in a blur as the woman drove at high speed down the various roads that snaked through the city like a system of arteries. Cars, spewing pollution, were not all that different to the city as the corrupt creatures were to you in a sense you mused. To the city, the cars were the death of nature, to you, the corrupt creatures were a threat to order as humanity desired it.
It was fortunate for you that the city, that the planet itself, couldn't fight back in the way you were capable of doing so when opposed with those creatures.
Well, not you personally.

You had no idea how much time had passed between leaving the prior supermarket and arriving at the next, but this one promised to be a much different experience.
For a start, people were still actively moving about inside it.

"So," Millicent started as the car pulled into the parking lot, this time parking her car much closer to the supermarket than before. "Cake, tea, chocolate. Anything else?"
"No, that's pretty much all I want at the moment," you responded, while pre-emptively unfastening your seatbelt.
"Okay. Looking at the clock... I'd say we can get away with taking our time. I can call in, in an hour at the latest, to say we're on our way back, before they start trying to send out search parties."
"They'll do that?"
"Oh yeah, you're potentially very valuable. There was an incident like, twenty years back where a girl we brought in did a runner before we got her back to the facilities. They combed the city looking for her."
"What happened to her?"
"She got hit by a car while trying to evade us, died in hospital afterwards."
"That's terrible."
"Yeah, we got reamed over that one."
"She was special, then?"
"No idea, never got any of the details beyond that. Incidents like that give us new layers of protocol to ensure they never happen again. Of course, the reality of it is that they add layers of potential mishaps that needlessly complicate things, so we have to sort of... Pick and choose what will help and what'll cause another incident."
"So, what ones are you waiving with me?"
"Can't tell you!"
"Come on!"
"Do you want that cake or not?"
"Oh, now you're playing dirty!"

Millicent's laughter faded into the night as she leapt from her car with you in tow, the brief beep and clunk of the doors locking behind you fading into the night as she ran ahead of you towards the supermarket.
Yet deep down, you couldn't help but feel a sense of déjà vu.
You couldn't place it and it wasn't enough to distract you from your goal of getting cake - as well as tea and chocolate - but something told you that you were not going to take no for an answer.
"Oh, now you've done it!" you called after Millicent, as she slipped into the supermarket ahead of you - still laughing at that.
She was fast.
You'd have expected someone of her age whom worked such a job to be a lot less nimble than she appeared to be.
Now it was a matter of saving face, putting your feet down and crossing the remainder of the parking lot.
Or at least doing so in a manner that didn't make you look like the scrawny nerd you were.

Even as you sprinted towards the door, it dawned on you that your footwear - worn as it was - was not going to allow you to stop in time with how wet the tiles leading up were.
And this proved to be the case as you slid into the doors, causing them to shudder, rattle and bang.
You staggered backwards, stunned from the impact as Millicent rushed back with what you assumed to be concern on her features. "Oh honey," she started as she rushed to place an arm about your shoulders, her other hand moving to take hold of your chin as she quickly looked your face over. "You're not bleeding... Lets sit down before you hurt yourself further though," came her words in tones honeyed with concern.
Even as she lead you towards the café, an area set to the side just past the main entrance, she spoke once more, her words bearing the same soft tones as she all but cradled you against her.

"I don't think that's going to leave a bruise, physically, but your ego's bound to take one. How about we sit down and have a nice cup of tea while you tell me what kind of activities you're good at so we can soothe your wounded pride?"

As you settled down at the table she had lead you to you reflected on the things you had done as a child, the sports you had done at school. Despite not standing out in any other way there, you'd always found you were good at...
...Getting into places you shouldn't. You were something of a tomboy when you were young. (Parkour Speciality.)
...Self Defence. You did well in basic martial arts and safety classes.  (Unarmed speciality.)
...Gymnastics. You had an excellent sense of balance. (Tumbling and Evasion speciality.)
...Hand / Eye co-ordination. You were a gamer at heart, but light gun games were your favourite (Markswoman speciality.)
...Something else entirely?

Spoiler: Alyssa (click to show/hide)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 03:11:55 pm »

Hand/Eye co-ordination.

Also, I dont trust this lady. Something is off about her... almost like she is trying too hard...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 04:10:38 pm »

Either hand/eye co-ordination or gymnastics.

Personally, I think it's pretty obvious Millie's trying to win our trust. I don't exactly trust her, but I don't exactly distrust her either, she could still be exactly what she appears to be.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 04:15:27 pm »

Gymnastics
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19