Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 147730 times)

greatorder

Ark: Survival Evolved
« on: May 25, 2015, 05:50:02 pm »

ARK: Survival Evolved is a game in a similar vein to other survival games such as Rust. You start off on a beach with nothing on you aside from an implant in your arm and have to survive from there.

Did I mention there's dinosaurs?

Yep. The game's got about 30 animals presently, with plans for up to 70. They're based off of extinct animals (not identical, which is lampshaded in game), ranging from the small, weak and stupid (dodos) to large, strong and still stupid (T-Rex) to the medium, fast and smart (raptors). Almost all the animals in game can be tamed, and many of those are large enough to be ridden with the appropriate saddle.

To start out, you need to make a pickaxe. It's one of the few things you can make at first. To unlock other recipes you need to level up, put a point into a certain attribute (such as water, food, health etc.), then use engram points you earn from levelling up to unlock engrams, which are the game's crafting recipes. These allow you to then start making weapons, other tools, houses and even fortresses.

The building can be split into two parts: houses and freestanding structures. Houses use a square foundation that can be linked with other foundations. These can then have walls, doors and windows put on them, then you can put a roof/ceiling on. Thatch roofs can't support a second floor, but once you get onto wood you'll be able to produce multi-story buildings, towers and so on, using either ramps or ladders to connect each floor. Freestanding structures are primarily used as walls/fences that you can use to make forts. You do this by getting a fence foundation and placing walls, windows and so on on top. The fences can be placed anywhere that's not too steep and do not need foundations to support them. This, in addition to the large gates you can make, make them perfectly suited to fortifying an area, making animal pens and funnelling animals/players into an area without much room to move. However, on PvP servers players are able to knock down these structures, and on both PvP and PvE servers, large dinosaurs are able to as well, so that gate you made will only be a stopgap measure against that T-Rex on the other side, and flying animals (and by extent, any people who ride them) can easily just fly over the top of the walls.

There's also a large cave system spread underneath the map, which contains tougher animals than usual, but provide access to metal. However, on PvE servers you will be unable to build in them because some players would block them off, and since on PvE you can't knock down player structures, nobody could get in.

And to help out along the way, there's a number of supply crates that drop from the sky or can be found in caves. The surface ones are marked by large beams in the sky, with different colours indicating the level required to open them. They can contain anything from random supplies such as stone, wood and thatch to foundations, walls and roofs to a full set of clothing/armour at the supply drop's level's tier. As a result, it's advisable you grab any that you come across that you can. Especially since after a few minutes from landing they'll decay.

There are also three monuments on the map, which on some servers will allow you to transfer player character info between servers. With the right materials, however, they can also do something else...

Find the trailer here. The B12 server is Butosus, IP is 69.12.88.250:16166
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:24:21 pm by greatorder »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »

I saw it recently and it looks really awesome.

There's a trailer for it [url=http://Uncharted series and Primal Carnage.]here[/url], which is, apparently, taken from actual gameplay footage.
Oops. :P

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:49:58 pm »

Looks awesome. Like how you can ride so many different creatures. I predict there will probably end up being clans who only use a certain animal as mounts and name there clan after it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:53:34 pm »

This DOES look very interesting. I'm more excited for this than any survival game ive seen in a while
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:40:18 pm »

Looks awesome. Like how you can ride so many different creatures. I predict there will probably end up being clans who only use a certain animal as mounts and name there clan after it.
Haaaaaa fuck that. I'm riding a dragon if you can and they can fly, pterodactyl if not, clans be damned.
My main question is: why ride anything that's not fast, like a Stegosaurus or Brachiosaurus? Can the giants carry heavier loads? Armored platform for war?

Also, lots of guns and a giant floating blue thing, but no internal combustion engine?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 12:47:28 am »

I would assume that the guns and floaty thing are simply found...some of the shabby weapons may be crafted...but guns were around before internal combustion engines and cars so that makes sense to me

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:51:14 am »

with guys that worked on the Uncharted series and Primal Carnage
This could be interesting. I still wanna find out a bit more though, like what the deal is with the sci-fi stuff... and dragons, hehe.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 12:56:47 am »

Scorpion riding.
Well, it looks pretty good, hoping it'll turn out even better!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 05:13:33 am »

I can help but notice dinosaurs are naked again (in 2015!). Sometimes moviegame science just fails to march on. ::)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 05:28:21 am »

Yeah, while dragons are really freaking cool none of the dinosaurs have feathers.

I award this game a fail/10.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 05:51:44 am »

Yeah, while dragons are really freaking cool none of the dinosaurs have feathers.

I award this game a fail/10.
https://youtu.be/FW9vsrPWujI?t=100

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 06:26:23 am »

9001/420 fetherd dinodragons ftw!!!!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 07:35:14 am »

:v!

This looks pretty sweet. I wanna ride me an evil dino crocodile.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 08:12:51 am »

Scorpion riding.
That looks terribly, horribly unsafe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47