Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 147842 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #585 on: April 28, 2017, 12:29:14 pm »

Since I'm presently in the mood to start playing all the less-played-recently games, I decided to reinstall Ark (Uninstalled since there was a 2 gig update every week (yes, hyperbole)), and I'm wondering if Butosus is still up, and if so what map/mods it's running now?

https://arkservers.net/server/14.1.28.82:16176
? I dunno. Seems dead.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 29, 2017, 04:44:15 pm »

Hasn't it always been broken? That's all I ever hear.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 30, 2017, 08:39:16 am »

Apparently it's amazing, though. xP
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 30, 2017, 03:17:32 pm »

Well, tried some SP on Scorched Earth.

According to the game, fun is when you spawn into a heatwave. It was reaching 52 degrees Celsius.

I've deleted the save since it's no fun spending an hour dying of dehydration, hyperthermia and heatstroke because the temperature refuses to fucking drop.

My frustration is compounded by the fact that moments before the heatwave, I found a prismatic drop that had a journeyman slingshot and metal hatchet (I honestly have no idea how), as well as a good chunk of stuff to get me started including the mats for a 1x1 thatch house. A house I took shelter in. It took me from hyperthermic to hot, but didn't stop the heatstroke.
Remember that Everything except Adobe houses cooks you alive on SE. The insulation is changed over there :P

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 01, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »

Things I have learned:
1) I have a weird bug. Dinosaurs set to follow won't unless I look at them.
2) The only places on SE that aren't perpetually overheating me are places with enough predators to make Carno Island look friendly.
3) Predators prioritise players. I ran past a shitload of dinosaurs. Did the raptor stop chasing me? Nope. That tasty looking lizard that doesn't fight back that is way closer is less preferable than me, someone that will fight back and is miles away.
4) Attack my target means that dinosaurs will NOT defend you. They wait for you to hit the thing attacking you before they decide you want help.

Binoculars/ the scope thingy lets you order your dinos to attack others I believe.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 02, 2017, 10:26:20 am »

Things I have learned:
1) I have a weird bug. Dinosaurs set to follow won't unless I look at them.
2) The only places on SE that aren't perpetually overheating me are places with enough predators to make Carno Island look friendly.
3) Predators prioritise players. I ran past a shitload of dinosaurs. Did the raptor stop chasing me? Nope. That tasty looking lizard that doesn't fight back that is way closer is less preferable than me, someone that will fight back and is miles away.
4) Attack my target means that dinosaurs will NOT defend you. They wait for you to hit the thing attacking you before they decide you want help.

Binoculars/ the scope thingy lets you order your dinos to attack others I believe.
Whistling attack THIS target works. Easier to do with a binocular though.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 05, 2017, 12:10:02 pm »

I feel like I'm being picky, but I just can't find a good server. The official ones are wastelands full of walls and random furniture, and the unofficial ones are x25 everything or they're whitelisted. What do I do?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 06, 2017, 10:15:39 am »

I feel like I'm being picky, but I just can't find a good server. The official ones are wastelands full of walls and random furniture, and the unofficial ones are x25 everything or they're whitelisted. What do I do?

I haven't figured that out yet except to putter about in singleplayer every once in awhile to see new dinos.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 07, 2017, 06:04:09 pm »

There are some vanillaish rate servers that are good but even with as small as 3x taming you will get 100% taming efficiency from mutton, and barely any.

Some might display wonky ping tho because I know Butosus said I had 250ping on the server list but ingame it was like 60 and I'm in Europe.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:51 pm »

so the game often takes up to 30 minutes to start up in single player and uses 90% of my ram and video memory on the lowest settings. beyond setting the options in the game menu to the lowest possible settings, is there any way to reduce resource usage and maybe speed up loading times?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 08, 2017, 09:06:19 pm »

Nope, ARK is a hog, and they've shown no signs of optimizing it.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 09, 2017, 06:27:16 am »

Idk, maybe ARK is optimized for a 960 because i've been running at smooth 60FPS with high or ultra settings for over a year.  I load into servers on 2 seconds and I jump a lot between clusters on Unofficial. I'm not sure where people are getting the unoptimized part from but the only times my performance goes low has been during memory leaks or when entering caves :P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 09, 2017, 11:16:46 am »

And I'm running a 980ti with sixteen gigs of RAM that has no problems running it, ARK is still a resource hog and absolutely crushes mid-tier and lower systems.  ::)

The best way to improve performance is to shut off ALL of the post-processing effects.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:19:36 am by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 09, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »

ARK is still a resource hog and absolutely crushes mid-tier
Didn't really get that part but isn't a 960 mid-tier? :P

Anyways geez servers that haven't changed breeding timers are abysmal.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 09, 2017, 05:08:28 pm »

For 2015, when ARK released, the 960 was near top of the line, and my 980ti was nearly bleeding edge.  That said anything with less power would labor heavily with ARK's extensive post-processing and extremely heavy texture streaming.  A lack of RAM or an older generation CPU would be crippling as well.  Common recommendations for improved performance include: decreasing ground cover, lowering the skybox quality, and setting a number of post-processing effects to low or off.

And yes, the vanilla breeding rates are agony personified, as are several other vanilla settings.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47