Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 147807 times)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #675 on: September 03, 2018, 02:49:40 pm »

Figured I'd share my steam collection for Ark

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1502051019

Its a small mod list, but huge mods that will completely change ARK.

Adds fantasy creatures, undead and also adds magic

Be sure to do same exact load order as mods are listed.

And yes, expect to die a lot.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 13, 2018, 02:00:59 pm »

You know, I've had a thought. If we can get a server for it, some point after the next DLC is released, I'd like to do some kind of "Follow the story" thing. Start on the Island, ascend (If it was MP could just work on "As soon as someone ascends, start a countdown"), upload survivors/dinos, move to Scorched Earth, ascend, upload to Aberration, ascend, upload to Extinction.

Or perhaps not do uploading and start over on each new map.

I thought this might be fun too, and since the new DLC is coming out in around a month I've started doing this with a friend using singleplayer settings (might as well knock out at least the island early)

...and I have to say, ark is a lot less interesting the second time around. Even in singleplayer mode (2.5x exp iirc) the grind is huge, and I'm left wondering if collecting 100,000 narcoberries so I can spend hours running 10 mortal and pestles to grind up to 60 (or w/e) for an industrial grinder and use that to grind up the rest of the way is really compelling gameplay.

But there's not much alternative. The game utterly lacks any sort of "real" early to midgame content to level up off naturally. So even setting the exp slider way up just means you still grind narcoberries, you just grind less of them... unless you set it up so high that you just have to craft a dozen rafts and you hit max level. Might as well just use the console to make yourself max level at that point, though that feels wrong too like you're eliminating most of the game (but is that a bad thing? I don't know).

Maybe it would be more fun in a server setting, but at least for me the idea of doing it 3 (or 4 with SE) times has really lost it's appeal even before finishing the island. So if you do decide to do this, you should consider that you will probably have a lot of player burnout before it's finished.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 15, 2018, 01:15:02 am »

Bear in mind we don't have to start over with fresh newb characters each time. Sure, that means bases (and possibly dinos if we wanted to disallow their transfer) need replacing but good god, I can't think anyone would want a character wipe between maps doing such a campaign.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 15, 2018, 01:25:32 am »

If you are running a custom server, the server admin is perfectly capable of just dumping epic tons of XP on all the players at the outset, and then it's just a few mins of picking engrams and such.

They can even dispense equipment to get things going.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:27:52 am by wierd »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 15, 2018, 09:58:00 am »

Bear in mind we don't have to start over with fresh newb characters each time. Sure, that means bases (and possibly dinos if we wanted to disallow their transfer) need replacing but good god, I can't think anyone would want a character wipe between maps doing such a campaign.

Ascension resets you to level 1 - I thought that was the point of "follow the story"? So you lose your base, maybe lose your dinos, and start at level 1 again. it's not exactly a wipe, but it's close.

If you are running a custom server, the server admin is perfectly capable of just dumping epic tons of XP on all the players at the outset, and then it's just a few mins of picking engrams and such.

They can even dispense equipment to get things going.

You could also just set it to 100000x exp and craft a single cloth hat to hit max level. I'm undecided if skipping the whole grind a good thing, or if it's skipping too much of the game and making the experience hollow.

Maybe just bumping up the exp modifier a bit every ascension would be a good way to keep things moving without trivializing it too much.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 07, 2018, 05:42:18 pm »

So far I love the new map, but the difficulty is kinda ridiculous even for Ark.
My very first spawn I died almost before my character finished the "look at you wrist" animation he does at respawn. My character literally got up from the ground and as he raised his head to look at his hand there was already a level 50 carno charging in his face (which one-shotted me after the animation ended).

In the 4 or so hours I've played so far I have seen at least two dozen different carnos and about 10 T-Rex(es?) in the easiest part of the map and there are ants everywhere. Lots of running away and hiding, and good luck taming anything that takes longer then 15 minutes without a friend to distract hostile wildlife.

One good thing about all those big bad dinos though, they really like to get into fights with the security robots and they don't always win.
So much prime meat.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 07, 2018, 10:23:14 pm »

Really? I've seen exactly one carno inside the city, bunches of biomech guards, and everything else has been a low-tier tame or a bronto.  Outside in the wastelands on the other hand, I saw a pack of more than TEN corrupted spinos, with at least another six carnos, and three or four pteras (I am describing a single instance here, not disparate groups in proximity to each other).  Just a little NW of that place I found actual packs of rexes and multiple corrupted gigas in close proximity.  I am not ashamed to say that I turned on infinite stats in order to get out alive, I killed so very many hostiles it was like caves on The Center for a while there.

The map looks amazing, but there is no night-time so far as I have seen, just the shadow of the shattered fragments of the moon temporarily darkening the sky.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 10, 2018, 03:51:16 am »

We had settled on those large pools on the eastern end of the city, and the first few hours it was just one large carnivore after the other, including a corrupted rex.
Now that we have higher level tames and gear and could actually fight them off we haven't seen even one in hours, at least not near our base.
The wastelands are just insane. No way I'll ever try to traverse them on foot.

Attempted our first supply drop yesterday, and it was crazy. I'm beginning to wonder if our host messed up the server settings or something (he says he didn't change anything).
Yellow (medium difficulty according to wiki) supply drop. 4 players with assault rifles and flak armor, 2 carnos, a megalosaur and a trike, all around level 80 - 90.
Thought that will be more then enough, can't be that hard right? It is only medium after all.
Ha! We didn't get past wave 3/5.

Lack of night time on most of the map annoys me as well. I think the biodomes have a proper night time, but I've not spent enough time in them to check.
And snow owls are officially the coolest thing in Ark now.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 10, 2018, 06:24:57 am »

Get some velonasaurs.  Basically walking machineguns with a really powerful secondary attack.  I'm pretty sure that a pack of those suckers'll kill pretty much anything.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 10, 2018, 11:31:31 am »

Working on getting a computer beefy enough to play Ark again (simply stopped working on my laptop). Think it's best to start fresh, or to take my character from Aberration/SE in (and also my Rock Drake)?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 10, 2018, 03:54:55 pm »

Take your experienced survivor.  Extinction has SE and Aberration resources (and some dinos) but no way to learn the engrams for them.

Edit: I absolutely hate the goddamn sunken forest cave.  I effing HATE it.  I now have three dinos (one of which glitched below the kill plane under the map) and two MEKs trapped in there, and it's all because of godsdamned purlovias and arthropleura.  I'm probably going to have to use the destroy command to clean it out long enough to evac, and write off the owl and one of the MEKs completely.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:11:43 am by NullForceOmega »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 22, 2019, 04:43:58 pm »

I wouldn't mind giving it a go, but I have exactly no time to park my ass on top of a triceratops for 3 hours while it naps itself into a tame state.

I'll probably pass :\
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 09, 2020, 11:12:36 am »

I sadly do not have a pc with specs that are up for playing this game.But for anyone interested, who thought the price is too steep, it's on 80% sale now on Steam, over here from 54,99 euros down to 10,99 euros.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 09, 2020, 11:29:51 am »

I sadly do not have a pc with specs that are up for playing this game.But for anyone interested, who thought the price is too steep, it's on 80% sale now on Steam, over here from 54,99 euros down to 10,99 euros.

$10 US and the free maps are quite good.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 09, 2020, 05:55:38 pm »

It's decent for what it is, but having played both Ark and Atlas I feel like Atlas is the better of the two games and it's a shame the developers are giving preferential treatment to Ark.  Also, be prepared, the game is up to 220gb or so now with all the DLC and Free official maps
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47