Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 147790 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #495 on: September 11, 2016, 02:48:00 pm »

Theres a trick/exploit in ARK to avoid falldamage. Jump off your mount the moment before you hit the ground. You'll take minimum damage and dinos don't take any falldamage unmounted. Seems like this isn't a known fact when I see some people take ridiculous amounts of falldamage.

Desync on a server = unmounting, be that over water or 100's of feet in the air. People taking fall damage like that is usually either desync or hitting the wrong button on your keyboard.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 13, 2016, 02:49:06 am »

Howdy folks.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, my server has been dead for a while now. I'm sorry to say that I recently lost employment and as a result have had to cut back on my spending. In hindsight, I should have posted here in advance to let people know what was going on, but between that and the fact that server attendance was so low, I wasn't sure anyone was still playing.

Now the situation has changed. At the offer of a very generous member of the community, there are enough funds to run a good, premium server for one year. After that point I will be willing and able to put up the cash myself, so long as there are people who want to play. The catch, is that the donor has requested that I first post to gauge whether or not there are enough people interested to make the money well-spent.

With that in mind, here is what you can expect:

- A 24/7 dedicated server with low international ping, and room for 40 players.
- Consistent admin support and updates the day of.
- Running on the Scorched Earth map
- x4 gathering, x10 xp, x10 taming, and x8 maturation (this is subject to suggestion and vote)
- PvP will be enabled, but frequent repeat killing will be restricted without consent.
- An enabled anti-offline raiding mechanic, anti-cheat, and strict anti-griefing/non-consensual base raiding policy.
- Constant advertisement to help keep the server populated and interesting.
- No admin abuse or spawning outside of bug/grief compensation and a special exception*.

* As courtesy to those of you who played previously on the old server, we will replace the dinos you lost at equal level or slightly higher, up to five of your choice per player, upon request. Proof is not required; you will be given the benefit of the doubt.

So with all that said, let us know if you are interested. Feel free to PM me or post here (if preferred, I can also start a separate thread). WHile this post is obviously intended for fellow Bay12ers, you are more than welcome to invite along anyone you like. The more the merrier!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:52:21 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 13, 2016, 05:53:06 am »

Hey, you just managed to sell another copy of Scorched Earth.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 13, 2016, 09:29:41 am »

I will not purchase scorched earth anytime soon.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 13, 2016, 12:57:43 pm »

I will not purchase scorched earth anytime soon.
It's okay, really wish they'd add the Desert or such to The Center so I wouldn't have to jump between maps to experience everything.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 14, 2016, 11:35:42 am »

So, I got back to the game and tried The Center in singleplayer for the first time.

Damn, there's rexes, giganotos and spinos everywhere. The most "peaceful" places that don't have them are frequently visited by packs of roaming raptors and other nasties. Is The Center way more violent than the island or is it just me?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 14, 2016, 11:47:55 am »

The tropical islands (eastern region) are the more forgiving areas, the central jungle is straight up death, the burnt and volcanic islands are even worse, the arctic region regularly spawns high-level packs of dire wolves and the fairly common Rex, from my brief excursions to the redwood forest area it seems to be fairly survivable, with only roving carnos to really mess with you.

They did say that the Center was considered a 'more challenging' map after all.

Plus, it has a built-in level range modifier of five instead of four, meaning the max wild dino level (without mods) is 150 instead of 120.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 14, 2016, 12:32:31 pm »

OK, since I'm not getting a reply, anyone got the IP for Ibid's server?

The reason you cannot find the server, is that the server is not up yet-- but as soon as it is, I promise, you will be the first to know.:P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 14, 2016, 01:08:46 pm »

Yeah, there are packs of lv. 80+ raptors on the tropical islands. My advice is beachfront living on one of the tiny sand-spit islands to the SE until you can ride a ptera, then build atop one of the jungle spires. Just get extra fliers before you do anything too risky so you don't lose access.

3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:50 pm »

On the shore of the big north east island with the narrow river channel down the center you will find not much in the way of instant fatality. The islands to the west are also not too bad. There's metal and crystal on the river island.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 14, 2016, 04:10:04 pm »

Yeah, there are packs of lv. 80+ raptors on the tropical islands. My advice is beachfront living on one of the tiny sand-spit islands to the SE until you can ride a ptera, then build atop one of the jungle spires. Just get extra fliers before you do anything too risky so you don't lose access.
Something as low as a trike will stomp Raptors. Even a low level Trike, because that knockback is almost strong enough to beat up Tyrannosaurs.

There's one dangerous thing on Tropical north, there's a direbear spawn. Imagine a superfast Rex, except it does more damage. 65 basedamage instead of 60, and slightly more per level too.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 14, 2016, 04:49:46 pm »

The problem is in farming up, tranqing one, and protecting it for the whole tame time. Most times I set foot on those islands I get swarmed in under five minutes.

Not that I'm much stressed in that regard, I've got a stable of fliers and a Giganotosaurus currently taming in my SP game. But yeah, Direbears are great, those fuckers can sprint so fast even without much in speed.

@Ibid: What exactly are the anti-grief/anti-offline and PvP regulation measures you were going for? You gave a general impression, but I'm interested in specifics, both so I know how I want to go about setting up and to avoid fucking someone over against server rules. I'm assuming not foundation wiping and not killing passives are givens, but yanno.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 14, 2016, 05:41:16 pm »

@Ibid: What exactly are the anti-grief/anti-offline and PvP regulation measures you were going for? You gave a general impression, but I'm interested in specifics, both so I know how I want to go about setting up and to avoid fucking someone over against server rules. I'm assuming not foundation wiping and not killing passives are givens, but yanno.

PvP IS open, but should be done in a tasteful, sportsmanly manner. Offline raiding has been disabled (meaning that it is mechanically impossible) and base raiding/repeat killing are disallowed, unless agreed upon by both parties. Repeatedly killing the same player(s), non-aggressive tames, and tames in progress is considered griefing, and will result in a ban. As soon as I'm able, I'll tack that into the daily message. Needless to say, the goal is to have fun without needless expense, so avoid anything excessive.

On that note-- the server is live!

If you're having trouble finding us, go here and copy the IP address listed. Next, open the "View" drop-down menu in Steam, and select "servers." Under "Favorites," choose "add a server," paste the IP in the empty field, and finally click "Add this address to favorites."

Voila! Start up Ark, filter by favorites, and our server should appear. If you have any problems, feel free to post or PM me. Looking forward to seeing folks in-game!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:42:50 pm by Ibid Straydrink »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 14, 2016, 05:53:40 pm »

You never mentioned that you were using mods.

Which ones, out of curiosity?

I am remiss! The only mod running is ecoRPDecor. This adds a variety of optional décor- think furniture, wall mounts, and market stalls- to let you breathe a little life into your settlement. Nothing mechanic changing. :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 14, 2016, 07:12:56 pm »

You never mentioned that you were using mods.

Which ones, out of curiosity?

I am remiss! The only mod running is ecoRPDecor. This adds a variety of optional décor- think furniture, wall mounts, and market stalls- to let you breathe a little life into your settlement. Nothing mechanic changing. :)

Another gig for ARK? :/
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47