Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 146823 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #570 on: January 12, 2017, 02:33:17 am »

My own problems with the game, is that its slow to progress and resource gathering is a tedious task.
Well, I don't mind the survival aspect of it, too much... But the start is slow in singleplayer mode.

And in Multiplayer, whenever I make some progress, my teammates always seem to be way ahead of me. (I don't do PvP, for obvious reasons.)
And I get the feeling that I'm slowing them down because of this.
Would like to get back into the game though.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 12, 2017, 05:25:34 am »

My own problems with the game, is that its slow to progress and resource gathering is a tedious task.
Well, I don't mind the survival aspect of it, too much... But the start is slow in singleplayer mode.

And in Multiplayer, whenever I make some progress, my teammates always seem to be way ahead of me. (I don't do PvP, for obvious reasons.)
And I get the feeling that I'm slowing them down because of this.
Would like to get back into the game though.

In the beggining everything will be slow and painful to do. But at level 20 you unlock the raptor saddle. That's your first real killer mount. Your meat/hide gathering and exploration will be improved.

Then at level 25 (I think) you unlock the trike saddle. Knocking up and taming a trike is relatively easy, and they're awesome berry-gatherers. Your berry gathering will be improved.

Later you will unlock the ankylo saddle (better for flint and metal), the beaver saddle (better for wood), the saddle for those little armadillo things (stone)...

So, yeah, in the beggining it's crap. But it gets better fast. Just enjoy it while you are doing it by hand, because afterwards the survival aspect becomes so trivial you won't even remember it's a survival game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 12, 2017, 01:16:14 pm »

You could turn up resources per whack in single player. You can do many things in single, including how much extra carry weight per tick of upgrade for yourself and dino's. Carrying a few logs at a time adds time versus carrying hundreds or thousands.

http://arksurvivalevolved.gamewalkthrough-universe.com/dedicatedservers/customizationtools/perlevelstatsmultipliertool/Default.aspx

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 12, 2017, 10:03:23 pm »

For the record, if you ever do get the itch to play on the server, we're cranking resources at x5, taming x10, and baby maturation at x45. Having played under these modifiers extensively, I have to say, it feels right, especially if you go solo or play in a small group. Not too much grind, but neither so easy as to be boring- just enough of a pause to given you reason to prepare, keep you on your toes, and make it feel like you're progressing.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 12, 2017, 10:20:43 pm »

Not sure what I did, but the game works much better now. I tried tweaking everything, so I can't say I know what exactly made it load for me.

Edit: Or it was just a fluke. Ain't working again. /Edit

Also, is the xp gain modified as well, or does xp depend on action modifiers as well or something? Just a few minutes of gaming shot me up past level 10.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:04:28 pm by BlackFlyme »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 13, 2017, 06:00:22 am »

Not sure what I did, but the game works much better now. I tried tweaking everything, so I can't say I know what exactly made it load for me.

Edit: Or it was just a fluke. Ain't working again. /Edit

Also, is the xp gain modified as well, or does xp depend on action modifiers as well or something? Just a few minutes of gaming shot me up past level 10.

Ah, sorry to omit that- rightcha are- xp is x 10 as well. I actually tried to crank it higher, but for some reason, the game seemed to bug out with a higher variable and default to about what it is now.

I'm not incompetent. I can edit an .ini file, I swear.  :-[
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 13, 2017, 08:03:53 pm »

So, how do you get a pet off your back?

I've tried what I could find online, but nothing has worked for me so far. Double-tapping E, pressing X, and pressing Zero haven't worked.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 13, 2017, 08:30:36 pm »

So, how do you get a pet off your back?

I've tried what I could find online, but nothing has worked for me so far. Double-tapping E, pressing X, and pressing Zero haven't worked.

Double-tap "F." In most cases- I swear, it's still "E" for at least one dino. The changed in a while back to prevent mishaps with the main interaction button, and to ruin lives.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 13, 2017, 11:53:43 pm »

Also, Jerboas are wonky in which you need to crouch to toss them straight.

Also beards are coming.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 14, 2017, 12:40:00 am »

Thanks. Though in truth, that little bugger was better off on my back. He got killed, unfortunately.

Hopefully beards mean hair customization will come soon as well.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 14, 2017, 12:45:37 am »

Thanks. Though in truth, that little bugger was better off on my back. He got killed, unfortunately.

Hopefully beards mean hair customization will come soon as well.
Apparently that hairgrowth we see right now is the default hair. But apparently even females can grow a beard. Can. Mind you I take all my info off of reddit and twitter posts i'm too lazy to link :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 15, 2017, 07:10:27 am »

Just a friendly status update, Butosus is still alive and kicking, relatively speaking. By popular demand the server has been permanently converted to PvE, and to keep things interesting with reasonable risk, we've started running a few choice mods. The first of these is Tabula Rasa, which adds all of the delightful Scorched Earth critters to The Island, including tamable wyverns! The second and most noticeable,  Extinction Core, is practically Annunaki Genesis lite, but more immersive, subtle, and balanced for vanilla in terms of how you progress.

If anyone is still looking for a place to call home and would like to join us, I recommend installing the 5 mods we're running separately before attempting to login, and the in-client installation process can be rather.... spotty. Full list with links at the bottom of this post.

Lastly, don't hesitate to announce your presence on chat, ask for help, and invite yourself along! Additional human beings can make the game a lot more fun, especially when the toxic excuse for PvP has been disabled. :P Aside from a few group projects, there are certain obstacles in the modded content that are much more feasible with a large group, and I can speak for my tribe when I say we're always willing to lend a hand for help in exchange.

Hope to see you here!

Spoiler: modlist (click to show/hide)

I was a bit interested, but realized that I do not have the Scorched Earth DLC..

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 15, 2017, 01:18:32 pm »

Just a friendly status update, Butosus is still alive and kicking, relatively speaking. By popular demand the server has been permanently converted to PvE, and to keep things interesting with reasonable risk, we've started running a few choice mods. The first of these is Tabula Rasa, which adds all of the delightful Scorched Earth critters to The Island, including tamable wyverns! The second and most noticeable,  Extinction Core, is practically Annunaki Genesis lite, but more immersive, subtle, and balanced for vanilla in terms of how you progress.

If anyone is still looking for a place to call home and would like to join us, I recommend installing the 5 mods we're running separately before attempting to login, and the in-client installation process can be rather.... spotty. Full list with links at the bottom of this post.

Lastly, don't hesitate to announce your presence on chat, ask for help, and invite yourself along! Additional human beings can make the game a lot more fun, especially when the toxic excuse for PvP has been disabled. :P Aside from a few group projects, there are certain obstacles in the modded content that are much more feasible with a large group, and I can speak for my tribe when I say we're always willing to lend a hand for help in exchange.

Hope to see you here!

Spoiler: modlist (click to show/hide)

I was a bit interested, but realized that I do not have the Scorched Earth DLC..

Butosis is on The Island and all the Scorched Earth dino's are in the base game files. The DLC is just a map. That said, why put a 2 GB end game mod on a server that rarely sees 2 people on at the same time?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 15, 2017, 07:41:20 pm »

Chiefly, because the 10 of us that play together and frequent the game on and off enjoy it, o' grateful ray of sunshine.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 17, 2017, 01:52:26 am »

Decided to pop into the server (butosus) and after getting thoroughly murdered by dinos and tribesmen I managed to gather enough goods to get set up.  my place is the little stone hut on the coast (north 2 spawn, next to a couple of sizeable bases.)  If this location is problematic for anyone, let me know, and I can relocate without any problems.  Also, if my ugly wall is intruding on anyone then I can revise that too, it's just a temporary structure.

Edit because double posting is still a crime:  I think I'm done with ARK for now, I may be back when the devs start optimizing file sizes, 80 GB for the basic game is far too big, the patches are gigantic, and I'm just not enjoying the game enough to tolerate the slowdown it causes my system.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:11:26 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 47