Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2024 Hot Fresh Books Thread  (Read 491 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
2024 Hot Fresh Books Thread
« on: January 04, 2024, 09:07:46 am »

Stolen from Vector:
Purpose:
- Challenge ourselves or just keep track of our reads here on B12.
- Build a community of readers.
- Share books we liked, pick up new reads.

How to:
---> CHALLENGE MODE: Set a goal for yourself here in the thread and update regularly on your progress.
---> CHILLAX MODE: Just hang out and vibe, occasionally talk about books, it's all good man.

As far as myself - I'll be quite happy if I can finish 24 books this year.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 Hot Fresh Books Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 12:55:29 am »

I have time to read sometimes now. Just here to chill.

Might even read Dune after having bought it two years ago.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 07:44:06 pm »

It is fucking hog-wild reading my impressions from last January. Holy shit. I wasn't sure I was going to participate in the challenges this year because I dropped off pretty quickly, but reading my comments from the 2023 thread clarifies how much I've changed. I think it's worth it to start for that establishment of a benchmark alone.

I have very thoroughly heaved myself out of the Nash Equilibrium referenced at the end almost by accident (see 2023 Behemoths Thread if you're curious for some reason). Anyway, I've sufficiently diversified my reading and viewing and the quota-system is over. The new plan is to just keep track of things as I finish them and write a blurb about particularly interesting entries here and there.

So far the only book I've finished in 2024 is... (drumroll)

Stone Butch Blues - Leslie Feinberg
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 08:30:53 pm »

My only real goal this year is to actually read The Lord of the Rings so that my frame of reference for a work that often comes up in even casual conversation isn't limited to the various film adaptations. I might try to cram some spiritual reading in with Passiontide on the horizon.

Unless I read something and simply forgot about it, the first book I read this year was We Had to Remove This Post by Hanna Bervoets (trans. Emma Rault), which served as a reminder why I generally don't pick up random books from the public library or (with a handful of exceptions) read fiction from this century.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 10:36:52 am »

It could be worse, and you could be like me and not even have seen the movies.  I mostly know things about Lord of the Rings because I have a coworker who's so into the setting that his wedding was themed around it.  I'm not sure why Bapko Boppins didn't just fly into Mordor.

Anyway, I don't have any real reading goals this year, having failed to really keep up with the amount I was reading in 2022 and 2023.  My brother did lend me his copy of the second of the Codex Alera books so I've started that, but it's all I'm committing to.

Jim Butcher isn't my favorite author for a few reasons and I probably wouldn't have read the first Codex Alera book if my brother hadn't lent it to me, but I'll finish this one at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 04:38:01 am »

This sounds like a lot of fun!

Hector Dune is sooooooooooo good holy shit. It can be a very dry read at times but it's a classic of the genre for a reason! I'm so happy to see it getting a lot of love with the movies coming out!

I'm literally in awe of your reading list Vector!!!!! I'm not surprised that it was hard to stick to that looks super intimidating! I'd love to hear about how your journey progresses into the rest of the year :) and if you find any good recs let us know!

Lord of the Rings is also a classic for a reason! And I've heard very good things about Codex Alera

For myself, I'm down to set a challenge! By the end of April, I will read Crime and Punishment! I've heard nothing but good things about Dostoyevsky, so I'm going to try and power through the dry prose to crack this egg!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 09:34:52 am »

Oh, Vec, you're back! It's good to see you, I was worried about your absence and well-being.

I don't think I'll be setting any reading goals this year (or at least, not currently), but I've gobbled down a couple books about how to read tarot (I seem to make a hobby of magical haberdashery when I'm in a state of flux), have The Drunkard's Walk - How Randomness Rules Our Lives to read as a nice counterpoint to the cards, and I'm once again taking little pokes at More Than Two to better understand polyamory and its particular facet of the queer sphere. If there's anything I learned from my ex, it's that I still don't know so much first-or-secondhand about the queer community and I really ought to change that.

I should peel the thrift store sticker off my new-to-me bookshelf. It's nice to see specifically my own books on display.