Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 852485 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #2880 on: November 30, 2016, 08:56:13 am »

Working on building my group's latest dungeon. Here's a few excerpts from my notes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think they'll be at this one for more than a session or two. Got some devious puzzles planned as well.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:17 am »

That looks awesome! What tools did you use to make it?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: November 30, 2016, 10:24:39 am »

Beautiful.
Black lives matter.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: November 30, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »

I picked up that Pathfinder eBook bundle on Humble Bundle at the last minute, so if you want to 'borrow' any of them, shoot me a PM, and I'll sort you out with a copy.

Spoiler: Books inside it (click to show/hide)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: November 30, 2016, 05:35:03 pm »

The map was made by this guy who stole it from this guy. I just added the room markers and wrote the descriptions by hand. Some inspiration was taken from these guys for the room descriptions in a few cases, and the loot was created by this guy.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: December 01, 2016, 09:10:07 am »

We're in a trailer park, watching a cult lead by FUCKING AZRAEL, which has a LITERAL FUCKING HELL-PORTAL in its basement.
Almost all the clergy being children
And they're basically hinting that they have a problem with werewolves
So they opened a gate to hell which is attempting to fray our sanity

I know what side I'm on, a different cult, but basically we're all clutching our heads and sighing.
And also planning to murder one particular guy who we won a race against.
Heh, we ended up sparing that cultist.  But he smashed my camera on the way into the church, so after we finished doing diplomacy...  We kinda broke his legs and torched his truck.  We actually cleared this petty revenge with his demonic-children cultmates first.

...Possibly because they sent us to fucking die.  Why did we agree to investigate Mt Rushmore.  They even SAID there were werewolves... and angels... involved.  Well, there sure were a ton of werewolves.

So first, Jen gets us lost literally just for giggles, hehe.  Brian (my character) tries to navigate correctly, but fails his social roll so hard he sounds like he's lying.  On the way to Mt Rushmore from Kentucky, we end up in... Wyoming.  Apparently we drove really fast when we were lost :P

So we end up at an *ancient* gas station in a huge wood, just as we're running out of gas.  Sean goes inside to prepay because the pump doesn't take cards.  An old Native American man charges him $4.50 a gallon, glaring at him and suggesting we leave ASAP.  Sure enough, midway through fueling, a pack of wolves start walking towards us from the trees...  staring at us.  7 bigass wolves.  Brian, currently weak as a child thanks to my power that boosts intelligence, advises GTFO.  Sean jerks the nozzle out (it continues spraying on the ground) and jumps in the van, flooring it.  The wolves close in.

We're accelerating fast, but not really fast enough on the dirt road.  So Jen and Brian have a characteristically stupid but spiteful idea, and open the back of the van to shoot at the gas...  But instead one of the wolves leaps in, tackling Brian by the arm.  I'm almost entirely helpless, but I *do* manage to succeed on a chance roll to shrug it off.  I think Brian lulled it into a sense of security then slapped it in the eye.  It just pounces on him again, but resisting for that round probably saved Brian's arm (or throat).

Jen takes the opportunity to inject it with a syringe of bleach, while "Ronnie Jeremy" just shoots it.  The bleach nearly kills it, the bullet is just enough to finish it.  It turns back...  Yeah, it was a fricking werewolf.  FML.  As Brian lies pinned beneath the corpses's bulk, Jen helpfully destroys its head "just to be sure".  While Ron shoots the gas...  Without modern safeguards, the entire station explodes in a fireball.  The shockwave rocks the van, causing Brian to slide out (fuuuuuuck) which does free him from the corpse.  The werewolves are dazed and fleeing from the fireball, so Brian's able to pick himself up and sprint back into the van. 

Sean did stop for him...  This is actually like the third time Brian has fallen out of the back.  For the rest of the session, Brian made a big deal of buckling in.  Heavily bruised and bleeding out his arm, Brian helpfully informed everyone that the werewolf bite is not a problem and that he definitely won't turn.
Brian is good at making friends, and begging favors, but pretty bad at convincing people of the truth XD

So... crap, that was just the trip *to* Mt Rushmore.  That's when shit really got crazy...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:12:23 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: December 01, 2016, 09:33:38 pm »

As we rolled into town and quibbled over lodging, a meteor struck the base of Mt Rushmore.  Rather spectacularly.
Mt Rushmore was fine, but the meteor... it was green.  Well, that doesn't mean anything just yet.  Brand new camera in hand (and a backpack full of stolen wallets because Jen, like the rest of us, does whatever her demon suggests 99% of the time) we drove to the mountain.

Side note:  Rapid city has a LOT of Wendy's and Arby's for its size.  That isn't actually important, we just thought it was weird and funny.  (I love Wendy's)

[looong drink]
Yeah... we drove to the mountain.  That's where the disturbance was, and if we have one united purpose, it is to record weird disturbances and acquire fame.

There were cop cars blockading the road.  The meteor was dangerous, they said.
"Don't worry, we're meteorologists"
It was a little better than that, but we literally said that!  We rolled well and social skills won the day, the cop let us past.
hehe, that cop... he comes up again.

We came to a vast glowing crat-
Shit, actually, first we went offroad.  In the van.  To avoid detection, which is fair, but still... in a van.  Sean insisted, but he does have a history of driving across terrain that should not be driveable.
Brian is the one who has to fix the van, just saiyan :P  (not actually complaining, in or out of character, Brian is a total mooch who holds a camera)

So we came across a fence around the actual base of the monument.  Our driver was possessed by PRIDE...  he revved the engine and slowly shoved the fence over.  I like to imagine that Brian's scrap teeth and bumpers around the van helped, though I don't think we actually used them.

NOW we approached the crater.  It glowed an unnatural, deeply unsettling green...  Not like Jen.  No.  This was...  A silhouette emerged from ground zero as we slowly drove around.  One of us (Ronnie Jeremy) got a particularly good look at it... and collapsed, fingers in ears, saying all these squares make a circle "no no no no".  Green... everywhere.  I captured it all on tape, but I could tell...  The figure would only appear to fellow EnLiGhTeNeD.

More.  Fucking.  Werewolves.

And also, a couple of FBI drove up in front of our van, since we failed our stealth roll.  They pointed guns at us and demanded we stop - right as the crater EXPLODED IN A PULSE OF GREEN.  Whatever it was, the agents felt it, freaking the fuck out.

"We are time agents from the future"
"Come with us if you want to live"
"Hurry, those are time dogs"
"Oh no that guy's the time police, hurry"

Catchphrase of this campaign is "We could not be retarded"

It fucking worked, because they didn't know WTF, they got in the van and Sean slammed the gas.

OH OH I ALMOST FORGOT, THIS SHIT STARTED PLAYING

So yeah I made an occult roll "yeah it's an angel" "SHITBALLS guys it's a FUCKING ANGEL"

When I say Sean slammed the gas... I should clarify.  The balls on this guy.  He got a bit of distance, U-turned the van, and accelerated straight at the angel, who was now hovering all mighty-like over the fucking werewolves.

Yeah, we tried to run over a couple wereweolves and an angel.  That...  Didn't turn out so well.  As the FBI agents did excellent kerbin impressions, and Brian dove the fuck out of the way because his whole thing is knowing better, the angel passed straight the van and... Hrm.  How to explain this.

The angel...  kinda grabbed Sean's demon (a whirlwind made of teeth) as we passed.  Our demons are *supposed* to be overlayed on top of us...  Sean's became displaced by a couple feet.

Blood started trickling out Sean's nose and ears (3 AGGRAVATED damage).

Fortuitously, Brian rolled to the side of the van early enough that the angel lunged and missed.  Which triggered a curse Jen had laid on it...  The ANGEL TRIPPED.  It fell... through the ground.  It emerged a few seconds later, trumpets still blaring, pissed as all fuck.

So we're being chased by ANOTHER pack of werewolves, we have two FBI agents screaming in the van, and oh yeah there's an ANGEL floating after us.
I... said things got particularly crazy this session.  Well... here's where that happens.

First the werewolves transformed into a "garu" form or some shit, which is apparently a sanity-shocking event.  The FBI agents went from screaming to gibbering and convulsing.  Ronnie saw them as more angels and went back to cowering.  Brian looked past the world and saw the glow, Jen just didn't give a shit.  In fact, she started stripping the FBI agents of their badges and also their clothes.

Then angel, shimmering with holy aura...  possessed a werewolf.
Oh yeah, our demons had be screaming ever since we saw the angel.  Even Brian's sloth demon.
And now we started screaming OOC, or at least I did.
Reminder:  Werewolves in World of Darkness are incredibly powerful at a base level.  And I have intentionally avoided learning most of what they CAN do.
As for angels?  COMPLETE UNKNOWN to me.

So then... the werewolf sprouted... wings.
And
*sigh*
The divine werewolf began "charging its lazor".

A few seconds later, it began breathing divine lightning at our van.

I'm honestly not sure how we were *supposed* to win.  Jen's bleach-dart missed, and Brian was still in no shape to fire his mundane gun.  Sean was doing a remarkable job of SERPENTINE, SERPENTINE, but it was only a matter of time (and the lightning was blasting actual craters of glass into the dirt road).

So Brian "prayed"...  Putting a song on the surround sound, max volume, desperate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fajq_zyFhX8
The rest don't care about Captain Murphy, but Brian is a true believer :P
And sure enough, uh...  Purple goo started flowing from the speakers.  Which was... something?  Another blast of Holy Lightning, and Brian's overclocked brain produced an idea:

"Maybe the goo will do something to it!  Syringe it!"  Brian dipped his bullets in the goo, but turns out shooting is a physical skill :P
Jen, on the other hand, wasn't a cripple (and her demon was eagerly helping).  As the FLYING FUCKING ANGEL WEREWOLF charged up for a fourth shot, she hit it with a syringe full of concentrated heresy.  Which...  IIRC...  Began multiplying over the surface of the wolf, weighing it down in a disgusting purple mass.

And... that's mostly it.  We spent a while figuring out the chase rules again, but basically we skidded down the dirt path away from the remaining weres.  Somehow still alive, having faced down a fuckmothering angel.

It may seem like a shit deal...  Particularly since the angel will only show up on the video to other possessed...
But the floating wolf shooting lasers?
Aw yeah, Youtube gold.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:47:12 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: December 01, 2016, 09:39:55 pm »

Oh shit I forgot about that cop, I said he came up again.  As we fled the scene, Sean skidded the car up to the cop.  Leaned out of the van, bug-eyed, and screamed "AYY LAMAOS".  Then drove off.

As we screeched off into the night, we heard the poor cop on the radio, probably losing his job.  IDK.  And Brian doesn't care, he has 4 humanity!
She/they

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: December 01, 2016, 10:21:24 pm »

Might be a relevant place to drop this quote

*fweeee-thunk*  Message for you, sir! /python

Neverwinter Nights 1 Complete is free on GOG's Winter Sale thinger, offer expires in ~47 hours.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: December 02, 2016, 08:31:02 pm »

So the Pathfinder party, which consists of a level 8 gnome Kineticist, a level 8 halfling Rogue, a level 9 dwarf Cleric and a level 9 human Samurai walk into a bar reach the underground city of Hadramkath.

They find the entrance in a ravine that's exposed an underground tunnel due to an earthquake a few decades ago. Climbing down, they reach the tunnel and discover a trap. I describe it as a ring of magical runes inscribed in a full circle across the floor, walls and ceiling, with a golden lantern studded with gemstones and crystal panes attached to the top of the tunnel, inside of which is a ribbon of bright light that burns with a magnesium bright flare. They even find the message scrawled onto the wall informing them that someone created this trap to keep the creatures inside, and warning them not to follow but to seal the entrance. Of course, being the greedy bastards they are, they destroy the trap and take the lantern as loot, which causes them all to take 6d6 positive energy healing as the light fades from the lantern.

They enter the tunnel, spot the pit trap near the bridge but bypass it, missing the loot at the bottom (it's just a climbing kit though). They reach the bridge and find the first puzzle trap, this one an easy introductory version of a 3x3 Lights Out puzzle. I'm particularly proud of this as I've got a touch screen tablet set up to actually run the puzzle real time as they press the buttons. They solve it without issue and cross the bridge, avoiding the fire.

Then they reach the boneyard. They fight the three ghosts at the boneheaps, and the Samurai takes 1 Str and 1 Con damage. The Rogue takes 1 Str and 2 Con drain instead when he fails his Fort save. Still, they manage to clean the clock of the ghosts, but the Cleric makes a high enough Knowledge: Religion check to know that ghosts manifest again between hours to days later. If they retreat and come back, there's good odds the ghosts will be back.

They circle around the boneheaps without searching them for treasure, advancing on the main entrance. They reach the barbican at 1c and the skeletal lord archer rings the alarm bell in the tower, rousing his companions. The kobold skeleton archers at 3a start shooting the samurai, and the skeletal lord in the tower and on the cliff at 3b start firing poisoned crystalline arrows. The party has just walked into a shooting gallery and they're wearing big bullseyes.

The samurai takes cover and uses total defence after being knocked down to a quarter of his hit points in one round of combat. The cleric runs up and heals him back above half, and the rogue hides and hopes they will survive with their extremely low Con score. The kineticist starts blasting, going nova in an attempt to knock down one of the skeleton lords. He lucks out on a critical hit, punching the enemy blow half health.

After another healing spell the next round, the samurai feels confident enough to pull a reach weapon and go for the archers on the north cliff. He sets off a symbol of pain trap but saves without trouble. The cleric summons spiritual weapons to harass the kobolds and follows the samurai, while the rogue goes for the barbican and the skeleton lord at the top. The kineticist starts getting pincushioned for his trouble and decides to head into the barbican to take cover.

The rogue gets an arrow in the ass and takes an additional 1 Str drain from failing shadow essence poison. The amusing thing is that he fails by one point, which is revealed when the samurai succeeds his saving throw by getting 1 point higher. If the rogue hadn't taken the Con drain from the ghost, he'd have resisted the poison. Rogue and kineticist get inside and find a spiral staircase going up the tower, and start climbing. Then the skeleton lord at the top cuts the rope holding the giant bronze bell.

The bell rolls an attack against everyone on the stairs. It crits the roll on the rogue. The rogue is shitting themselves because this is probably game over for their character given how poorly they've rolled for hp. Luckily they have a reroll token, something I give out to each player at the end of a successful adventure. This lets a player reroll one d20, either their roll or mine, before the roll is resolved. I reroll, get a 5 on the die, and with the rogue's trapsense bonus to AC it's enough to dodge the hit. The kineticist isn't half as lucky, taking 6d6 damage and rolling a reflex save as their stairs are smashed out from underneath them. He manages to nail the reflex save, so he doesn't add falling damage.

They reach the top and the kineticist starts going full nova on the skeleton lord, doing his desperate best to take him out. He knocks him down to half hp before the return fire knocks him below his nonlethal damage threshold, sending him to the ground unconscious from his accumulated burn.

The samurai is way too far away to reach them, busy mopping up the kobolds. The cleric however has line of effect, and redirects his two active spiritual weapons onto the skeleton lord. A critical hit at x3 multiplier with a max roll for damage finishes off combat for the session.

I gotta say it was a damned good session overall. The group succeeded by the slimmest of margins, as is to be expected when they simply charge straight in without strategy. Hopefully they'll be more cautious for the future as they've learned this won't be a pushover. I'm pretty sure they're planning to fall back to camp and lick their wounds for a day or two.

Unfortunately for them, they made one fatal error. At the very entrance to the mine the golden lantern was actually a trap of Undeath Ward. They didn't attempt to identify the trap, and thus they've actually disabled something they could have walked straight through without trouble. Instead, now it's gone they can expect undead to come out at night and harass them at their camp. No rest for the wicked greedy!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: December 06, 2016, 01:55:08 pm »

Pathfinder campaign's over. We had to kill an immortal by finding his heart, which was removed in the ritual for him to become immortal, and forcibly return it to his body.

Luckily, I took grappling feats, so we didn't have to beat him into unconsciousness before we fist-fucked his chest-cavity.

Next up is another player being DM. Gestalt, really high point-buy, and the firearm rules are 'Guns Everywhere'. This means that guns are simple weapons, cost only 10% as much as normal, and any class or archetype that normally gets the Gunsmithing feat instead gets the Firearm Training feature, gaining Dex to Damage with the gun of their choice. This campaign will mostly be testing for a cowboy style campaign in the future.

Anyone have experience in a gun-filled campaign, or any ideas of character types? My current idea is one I've been wanting to do for a while, with a Commando style character. Uses Alchemist Bombs, guns, and Sneak Attacks. Shame Bombs are limited to Alchemists, one Wizard Archetype, and an underwhelming Rogue Talent.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:22:51 pm by BlackFlyme »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: December 06, 2016, 11:27:47 pm »

I see so many people making Dragon Ball Z games... But goodness the rules for those games are always sooo very bad...

I feel like the only way there is ever going to be halfway decent mechanics for those games is if "I" the greatest person in the world... Make them myself.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: December 07, 2016, 12:25:58 am »

I see so many people making Dragon Ball Z games... But goodness the rules for those games are always sooo very bad...

I feel like the only way there is ever going to be halfway decent mechanics for those games is if "I" the greatest person in the world... Make them myself.
Now I kinda want a competition where everyone makes their own ruleset/mechanics to see whose is best.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: December 07, 2016, 12:45:03 am »

Now I kinda want a competition where everyone makes their own ruleset/mechanics to see whose is best.
Tried for years. Lost cause.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: December 07, 2016, 12:48:46 am »

A DBZ rpg would only be accurate if it takes multiple game sessions to get charged up for battle.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 623