Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825596 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6630 on: February 17, 2019, 11:40:56 am »

Are the adjectives chosen from a set, or can you go with whatever you want?

If the latter, why would anyone ever roll for applying any adjective to antagonists but "unsuccesful"?
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: February 17, 2019, 12:00:47 pm »

I think there's a list, but you're free to come up with logical adjectives, with the key word being logical.  The GM is allowed to challenge adjectives that don't make sense or are outside the scope of the action (and players are allowed to challenge the GM if he places an excessive or illogical adjective).  You can give dead to henchman-type characters on your first adjective, but tougher characters and players need a longer path to putting that adjective on them, and killing them puts them on the plot map (the main selling point of the game.  instead of adventures they publish "transmissions," which is some exposition about the adventure venue and a 6x6 grid of characters, locations, objects, factions, etc. and you generate the plot during play by rolling dice on that table, so even the GM is learning about the conspiracy as the game goes).  So you kill a corrupt cop but then he ends up on the plot map and connections are drawn, which creates new consequences for doing so.

Also because presumably everyone is interested in creating a fun story, not exploiting ambiguities in the rules to win automatically, and if that's what your players want to do you can shunt them off to the nearest pathfinder table.
Shoes...

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: February 17, 2019, 02:03:57 pm »

Technoir is pretty cool but I think in style is really more noir than tech.  I guess it depends on how the campaign is run on what you emphasize, but the rules are really designed to facilitate noir adventures in a high-tech setting. 

That's kind of why I thought of it for Neuromancer over something like Cyberpunk 2020: it's partly just Gibson's characteristic brevity, but he doesn't dwell on the kind of flashy, bloodstained-chrome-reflecting-neon-lights-in-rain violence around which most well-known cyberpunk RPGs are built. To the extent that Neuromancer is a mystery story -- and I think that extent is gameable -- it, too, is more noir via tech than techno-thriller.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: February 17, 2019, 04:30:17 pm »

I think there's a list, but you're free to come up with logical adjectives, with the key word being logical.  The GM is allowed to challenge adjectives that don't make sense or are outside the scope of the action (and players are allowed to challenge the GM if he places an excessive or illogical adjective).  You can give dead to henchman-type characters on your first adjective, but tougher characters and players need a longer path to putting that adjective on them, and killing them puts them on the plot map (the main selling point of the game.  instead of adventures they publish "transmissions," which is some exposition about the adventure venue and a 6x6 grid of characters, locations, objects, factions, etc. and you generate the plot during play by rolling dice on that table, so even the GM is learning about the conspiracy as the game goes).  So you kill a corrupt cop but then he ends up on the plot map and connections are drawn, which creates new consequences for doing so.

Also because presumably everyone is interested in creating a fun story, not exploiting ambiguities in the rules to win automatically, and if that's what your players want to do you can shunt them off to the nearest pathfinder table.

If they wanted a fun story they'd be reading books, not playing games.

I apply the the adjective "flummoxed" on Cthulhu
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: February 17, 2019, 04:39:26 pm »

I'll play a chef and apply the fat adjective to any npc I encounter.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: February 17, 2019, 05:06:35 pm »

Fiasco is a wonderful little game for making stories with a slightly gamey elements. I really recommend giving that one a quick look up. Doesn't even need much of anything to be played.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: February 17, 2019, 07:09:56 pm »

Who hurt you, Scriver?  Who applied persistent "abused gamer syndrome" to you?
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: February 17, 2019, 07:38:53 pm »

In our efforts to find non-awful entertainment for my toddler throughout the day, we discovered that there are now eight seasons of My Little Pony on Netflix.

S6E17 is about D&D. It was pretty good. Thank you for your time. That is all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:42:49 pm by Mephisto »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: February 17, 2019, 09:52:19 pm »

Who hurt you, Scriver?  Who applied persistent "abused gamer syndrome" to you?

I'd tell you, but somebody applied TOP SECRET to it

I'll play a chef and apply the fat adjective to any npc I encounter.

I love it

I'd play an Jeff Goldblum expy and constantly apply [star struck]
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: February 18, 2019, 05:25:50 am »

I'll play a 10-year-old and apply "stinky" to people, thereafter taunting and shaming them to death.

That or a sharp-eyed investigator who ruins every conflict by applying "illusory" to the enemy, indicating that they were never really in the fight to begin with and must be somewhere else.

Yeah, I'd say that the system seemed abusable, but there doesn't really seem to be much of a system to abuse in the first place.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: February 18, 2019, 06:00:52 am »

If we want we can get all existential on them and apply "zero-summed" to watch them disappear into nothingness!
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: February 18, 2019, 06:03:37 am »

wouldnt that only happen if they came into contact with their total value antipartner?

I mean, zero sum just means that "when all added together, the sum is zero."  It does not rule out local values other than zero, it just means that if there is a nonzero local value, all other values must combine to create the anti-value needed to cancel it out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: February 18, 2019, 06:17:01 am »

A wild Dude appears!

Protag: "Righteous"

Righteous Dude: "Brah"

Righteous Dude shares his tall grass!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: February 18, 2019, 08:10:39 am »

Yeah, I'd say that the system seemed abusable, but there doesn't really seem to be much of a system to abuse in the first place.

Well, yeah, I can see how you'd think that, since you got all of one paragraph of system explanation before the shitposting started.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: February 18, 2019, 08:17:03 am »

Narrative-heavy systems are not for everyone or every group. If you look at the game as a contest against the DM that you have to win, of course you’ll find ways to abuse it. You don’t have to force yourself to play these kind of games if they’re out of your comfort zone - I like DnD and crunchy RPGs a lot too, maybe more than narrativeish games, but I can dig both.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 622