Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825601 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6690 on: March 02, 2019, 12:45:28 pm »

Picky picky.

The actual point was not the green text nature, but that it was a story one would expect to find in such a venue.  Focus people, focus.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: March 02, 2019, 01:08:22 pm »

Picky picky.

The actual point was not the green text nature, but that it was a story one would expect to find in such a venue.  Focus people, focus.
You might as well just say "it'd make a good story". It would. An epic barbarian biting his way out of a tarrasque would be a great story, if told well.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: March 02, 2019, 06:12:16 pm »

Here’s a good discussion prompt: What’re some of favorite one-liners you or your group memebers have spouted?

Mine would probably be:

“Gee, thanks, but I’d rather not be in the employ of the god of the MENSTRUAL CYCLE”

-My Lawful Evil Warlock, after being offered a position at the side of the BBEG who was attempting to become the god of blood. I was very quickly focused down in the ensuing fight.

Or maybe:

“My Cleric can beat up your Cleric”

-Me, a War Cleric, to the Healbot Cleric’s player.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:13:50 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: March 02, 2019, 06:16:15 pm »

"Okay, character's finished. When are we doing the first session?"

The final words spoken in pretty much every campaign I've been in.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: March 02, 2019, 07:04:16 pm »

I can't think of any good one-liners.  The funniest thing that's happened so far is probably when one player was trying to be serious and get some information at the tavern while the thief kept passing me notes saying he was sneaking up on the guy to murder him
Shoes...

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: March 02, 2019, 11:09:39 pm »

Yeah, RPGs don't really lend themselves to one-liner humor; it tends to just devolve into "lol we're so random" style absurdity without context.

In other news, I got a chance to run Pathfinder for two different groups over the course of the last two weeks, and apparently my usual group's nonviolent tendancies are partly my doing because both groups took about three fights each to decide they didn't want to hurt things anymore and resort instead to diplomancy variously backed up by illusory weapons, traps, and/or saps alongside a growing cadre of allies. It seems like I can't run anything else and nobody really wants me to.

In light of that, I'm trying to find better systems to run diplo-heavy games that don't take the lazy way out and run negotiation like combat, because it's really not. All Clausewitz quotes aside, running diplomacy with RPG combat rules tends to presuppose things about the mutual exclusivity of everyone's goals that can frustrate attempts to model things like multilateral negotiations or misconceptions. Haggling can be satisfactorily represented as a duel, but probably not legislation; even things that explicitly model the ZOPA tend to assume a continuous spectrum between mutexed BATNAs.

I'm hoping not to have to build my own, but it's looking increasingly likely.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:25:55 pm by Trekkin »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: March 02, 2019, 11:28:03 pm »

I hate swingy combat. Four hero dudes VS. 10 veggie bois. 45 minutes later, they're all dead. Every roll was sub 10, except for my one 18 in the previous fight that missed because AC 20 lel.

Every hit took a vegeboi down, but the hits were few and far between.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: March 03, 2019, 01:56:07 am »

At that point, you're supposed to execute a die as a warning to others.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: March 03, 2019, 04:37:09 am »

Were it the hero dudes or the veggies that died?
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: March 03, 2019, 08:21:21 am »

I've got a character concept rolling around in my head that I felt like jotting down.

Basically I wanted to create as close to a stereotypically Canadian 'nice guy' as I can. I figure a Lawful Good something or other with a habit of dressing in red check flannelette shirts, whose father is a lumberjack 'up north,' who cooks treats for the party such as pancakes and bacon for breakfast, apologizes regularly for inconveniencing people, and constantly ends his sentences in 'eh?'

I think that'd be a fun stereotype to explore in an RPG.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28:00 am »

Convince the other players to play other Commonwealth stereotypes. The British gentleman who insists on drinking tea at set times, the Australian Stewe Irwin expy, the New Zealander who brings a flock of sheep to the dungeon...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: March 03, 2019, 08:39:10 am »

I've got a character concept rolling around in my head that I felt like jotting down.

Basically I wanted to create as close to a stereotypically Canadian 'nice guy' as I can. I figure a Lawful Good something or other with a habit of dressing in red check flannelette shirts, whose father is a lumberjack 'up north,' who cooks treats for the party such as pancakes and bacon for breakfast, apologizes regularly for inconveniencing people, and constantly ends his sentences in 'eh?'

I think that'd be a fun stereotype to explore in an RPG.

Characters who are unfailingly friendly and polite even to the villains and monsters are always fun. Just because they're being right nasty doesn't mean you have to sink to their level, after all. Even if you end up killing them like your average murderous adventurer, you can at least apologize for it in advance.

I'm fond of an Ultimate Lawman character idea - a Lawful Neutral officer who will place ancient black dragons under arrest and politely request them to come peacefully and the like. In a somewhat sinister spin, their creed is all about following and adapting to the laws of the land, so they might liberate slaves in one abolitionist kingdom only to enslave them right back again if they crossed into the lands of a tyrannical and evil slaver empire. In actual play I can see a lot of problems and too much inter-party conflict from something like that, so I'd prolly make them a bit more flexible in the end.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: March 03, 2019, 08:42:14 am »

In a somewhat sinister spin, their creed is all about following and adapting to the laws of the land, so they might liberate slaves in one abolitionist kingdom only to enslave them right back again if they crossed into the lands of a tyrannical and evil slaver empire.
Be warned, that alignment is also known as Lawful Stupid and may lead to the other players (not characters) yelling at you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: March 03, 2019, 08:48:37 am »

So, it looks like the dnd5e.fandom wiki got purged of content. All SCAG, Mordenkainen, Volo etc. stuff has been stripped out, same for any Unearthed Arcana. Ah well. The affected pages have also been locked to sysop privileges, to prevent anyone from adding those things back in. Actually even more than that, as there's now only one "kit" per class still listed, all the others have been removed despite appearing in the core book.

Ah well. I guess there's been a bit more cracking down on copyright stuff.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: March 03, 2019, 08:50:25 am »

In a somewhat sinister spin, their creed is all about following and adapting to the laws of the land, so they might liberate slaves in one abolitionist kingdom only to enslave them right back again if they crossed into the lands of a tyrannical and evil slaver empire.
Be warned, that alignment is also known as Lawful Stupid and may lead to the other players (not characters) yelling at you.

That's rather why I said I couldn't actually play them like that, no? It'd be the basis of their religious creed/philosophy, but actually fully adhering to it rather than their moral compass would be unlikely. One can always find a justification ('the law here is unjust and totes illegitimate, so it should not be obeyed') to interpret their own code differently. Mainly I'm just fond of the idea of ballsily walking up to dragons and BBEG's and telling them they're under arrest, have a right to remain silent, et cetera. Even if it inevitably always fails.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 622