Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 834144 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6735 on: March 08, 2019, 03:18:53 pm »

Well yeah, polymorph does a transformation. That's the "what" right there.  The question is if the elective choice of what to transform them into is available for the second target.

I'm a bit of a douche.  If it were my game, I would say "Sure, it can have a different effect than the first, primary casting-- but the result is random. Enjoy."

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: March 08, 2019, 03:50:59 pm »

If you use the sorcerer's Twinned Spell when casting True Polymorph, are both of them turned into the same thing, or could you turn yourself into a red abishai and someone else into a ancient white dragon?
I'd imagine so, but your minimum level is 20 to be able to do that.
Technically, only your targets need to be that level. You just need to be 17th level (and it's possible the abishai only needs to be 19th).
True Polymorph is not a Sorcerer spell, so you need to go 3 levels into Sorcerer and then 17 into Bard or Wizard to Twin it. You'll also have to give up some spell slots to have the sorcery points to do it.

I would personally rule that the same spell can't have two different effects if it's twinned, but I've got the feeling this an edge case that doesn't pop up very often.
So if a sorcerer twinned Chromatic Orb, you would rule they had to do the same type of damage on both targets? Its your table, but I don't really see what the benefit of doing that is.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: March 08, 2019, 03:57:22 pm »

IIRC, Chromatic (everythings) are random in their effects...  There being different effects for 2 targets is kinda expected.  Polymorph requires the caster to make a choice in the outcome, which chromatic (anythings) do not.

This would be more on par with say, a psion's energy ray attack.  The psion specifies what kind of energy the ray deals at the time of preparation/projection.  Allowing there to be two targets (and yes I know this would not even apply to a psion to begin with, this is just for illustrative purposes)-- Does this mean they can choose a new energy type for the second ray, or do they have to make do with a single energy type, put on two targets?

That's the real question here. Can they make two elective choices, with 2 targets-- OR-- must they make a single choice, applied to both targets?

Again, if it were my table, I would take option 2- with the CHOICE from the player:

"Either the same effect for both, or permit the second bolt to be chaotic and uncontrolled, with random effects."  This would be equally applicable to the afore mentioned energy ray attack; Second beam is uncontrolled, and with unknown properties other than being an energy ray.  Except here, it is an uncontrolled polymorph bolt, that will induce a random level appropriate transformation.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:14:05 pm by wierd »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: March 08, 2019, 04:00:46 pm »

True Polymorph is not a Sorcerer spell, so you need to go 3 levels into Sorcerer and then 17 into Bard or Wizard to Twin it. You'll also have to give up some spell slots to have the sorcery points to do it.

The way that gaining wizard spells is worded is that your first wizard level gets you a bunch of 1st level spells, and every level after you can gain 2 new wizard spells that you have spell slots for. So all you really need is 17 total levels in pure caster classes, at least 3 of which are in sorcerer and 2 of which are in wizard.
So go ahead and have 12 levels in cleric and cast a twinned True Polymorph. It's all good.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: March 08, 2019, 04:13:18 pm »

IIRC, Chromatic (everythings) are random in their effects...  There being different effects for 2 targets is kinda expected.  Polymorph requires the caster to make a choice in the outcome, which chromatic (anythings) do not.

That's the real question here. Can they make two elective choices, with 2 targets-- OR-- must they make a single choice, applied to both targets?
Chromatic Orb specifies that the caster choose the damage in 5e. It may have done something different in other editions though.

As for the real question here. My answer is that the rules just say that a twinned spell can target a second creature with the same spell. It doesn't say anything about making the same choice for both targets, just that the spell has to be the same. A quick google search indicates that the game designer agrees with that interpretation. If you rule that differently at your table that's fine, your random effect idea would certainly be cool and appropriate to a Wild Magic Sorcerer, but the rules don't forbid two elective choices.

The way that gaining wizard spells is worded is that your first wizard level gets you a bunch of 1st level spells, and every level after you can gain 2 new wizard spells that you have spell slots for. So all you really need is 17 total levels in pure caster classes, at least 3 of which are in sorcerer and 2 of which are in wizard.
So go ahead and have 12 levels in cleric and cast a twinned True Polymorph. It's all good.
The multiclassing rules beg to differ and specifically rule that out.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:22:16 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:45 pm »

A quick google search indicates that the game designer agrees with that interpretation.

Can you link to this? I agree with your interpretation but my googling failed to find something quickly (and I don't really have time to keep looking)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: March 08, 2019, 04:41:25 pm »

A quick google search indicates that the game designer agrees with that interpretation.

Can you link to this? I agree with your interpretation but my googling failed to find something quickly (and I don't really have time to keep looking)
Here you go. I found it by looking up the chromatic orb example, which is probably why you couldn't find it.
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: March 08, 2019, 07:48:54 pm »

You make yourself—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—look different. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.
I'm not entirely sure what they mean by "body type" there, considering what is specifically allowed, but it's probably "race".  In the DND sense- I assume you can change skin color.  It seems like an odd restriction on a spell which physically morphs your entire body *and your equipment*, that you can't extend your ears a bit, but w/e.  I have to wonder whether gender is considered "body type" too.

My first thought was humanoid/amount of limbs and placement of them for what that would mean. So you can't transform into like a centaur.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: March 08, 2019, 08:54:25 pm »

That sounds reasonable to me.  In which case some humans could very reasonably disguise as a dwarf with the spell (or ability).  Male dwarves (3.5) are 3'11" to 4'5", female humans are 4'7" to 6'1".  That's an average of 5'4, and the spell allows shrinking by a foot, so about half of human women could shrink to dwarf height.  Human males are 5" taller, which lowers the odds a lot.

Interestingly elves average 5'0" independent of gender (hints at the 5e genderfluid Corallon?) which is 4" shorter than the average for human women.  Generally within range for a human to impersonate, though.  And amusingly, with a max height of 5'5", they're all *just* able to impersonate a dwarf!  A male dwarf, anyway.

Gnomes and halflings are crazy light by the way.   Anyway, the chart is at the bottom of this:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm
(all 3.5 again)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: March 09, 2019, 09:16:35 am »

Re: dnd5e wiki purge.

So the "Feats" page, which previously contained every feat from the PHB, SCAG, Mordenkainen's, the Planeshift thingies, and even a few UA feats, has been tidied up a bit.

It is now a list over one single feat.

That feat is Grappler.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: March 09, 2019, 09:43:28 am »

The purge is a little unfortunate. I own the books, but the wiki was still handier to look through than the various books when it came to having everything in one place.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: March 09, 2019, 10:36:37 am »

Like always, Lawyers RUIN everything.

"No! Not an easily searchable and convenient distillation of the information in our TOTALLY ONLY FOR PURCHASE core books! CERTAINLY not for free! Cease and desist immediately, Pen and Paper humans! The Nazgul have spoken!"

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: March 09, 2019, 12:15:44 pm »

Re: dnd5e wiki purge.

So the "Feats" page, which previously contained every feat from the PHB, SCAG, Mordenkainen's, the Planeshift thingies, and even a few UA feats, has been tidied up a bit.

It is now a list over one single feat.

That feat is Grappler.
Yeah, that's because Grappler is the only feat in 5e SRD and the wiki editors were told by Fandom to remove any non-SRD content from it.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:17:57 pm by Persus13 »
Sigtext

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: March 09, 2019, 02:26:47 pm »

I mean, this is a reasonable policy for that wiki host to have. They've got to cover themselves even in the face of companies far more litigious than WotC.

I also don't really see it as a big loss, since there's already a more convenient lookup with far better UI than just going with what happened to already be available for free. I get that I people have their own preferences, but still.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:29:19 pm by Cruxador »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: March 09, 2019, 04:00:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've been meaning to say "Xanathar's" the past few times I used "Mordenkainen's". Hurr.
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 622