Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 835619 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6780 on: March 21, 2019, 02:49:27 pm »

Hey, everyone. I've been invited to take part in a Star Wars: Age of Rebellion campaign. Nobody but the GM has played FFG Star Wars before, and as it'll be her first time GMing she is, per our mutual friend, somewhat nervous about it. Unfortunately, having never played myself, I don't really know what things to avoid as being mechanically annoying, so I'm worried I'm going to build around something that's going to cause a huge headache down the road without either of us realizing it ahead of time. Are there any skills/talents/weapons that are notoriously broken in Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion or just weird to deal with?
Advise your GM that auto-fire weapons can put out tremendous amounts of damage, both to groups and individuals. It'd be hard to ban them entirely, but maybe limit how often they are used against the players and try to avoid handing them out like candy.

Also, Force-users have the potential to completely overshadow non-Force users. Be careful not to unbalance a group too badly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: March 21, 2019, 02:54:53 pm »

All jedi, or no jedi.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: March 21, 2019, 03:09:17 pm »

One time a jedi snuck up behind me and I nearly sith my pants.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: March 21, 2019, 03:25:55 pm »

EDIT:Oops. Wrong thread.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: March 21, 2019, 03:38:22 pm »

Since this supposedly takes place in universe, remind them that unless they are Darth Vader, or Darth Sidious, They are *NOT* a sith. (that order has very specific rules about succession!)  They could be a wild force talent (and thus untrained), that favors dark force use--- but NOT a sith. Remind them that both Sith and Jedi would be out to eliminate them in that case.  (Sith apprentice, because new sexxy apprentice is how they get sent on a suicidal mission by their master on purpose--- and Jedi for obvious reasons.)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: March 21, 2019, 03:50:24 pm »

Or alternatively, set the game a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away, when there were more than two sith at a time.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: March 21, 2019, 03:51:23 pm »

Well, that depends on time period, of course... Considering everything after Vader and a lot of stuff up to Sidious did not exercise the Rule of Two.

Aaaand semi-ninjaed.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: March 21, 2019, 03:57:25 pm »

It's worth noting that Age of Rebellion's lore and stat blocks all assume that the game takes place during the Original Trilogy. That said, I guess there's no real reason a GM couldn't scale everything back a few hundred/thousand years and just re-name the ships available.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: March 21, 2019, 04:07:06 pm »

The Rule of Two was regularly broken by the Sith by the OT time period in both canons. The Sith were strict about making their master/apprentice follow the rules, but were generally down with breaking them themselves until getting caught by their colleague. See all the secret apprentices littering continuity during the Clone Wars/Galactic Empire time period.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: March 21, 2019, 04:12:38 pm »

The Rule of Two was regularly broken by the Sith by the OT time period in both canons. The Sith were strict about making their master/apprentice follow the rules, but were generally down with breaking them themselves until getting caught by their colleague. See all the secret apprentices littering continuity during the Clone Wars/Galactic Empire time period.

After all, it Obi takes Wan Kenobi to fuck up your main apprentice that you spent a lot of time and effort customizing. Better to have a few backup strategies.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: March 21, 2019, 04:19:06 pm »

Age of Rebellion is the recent Star Wars RPG where folks are rebels and uses fancy dice, right?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:37:25 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: March 21, 2019, 04:35:07 pm »

Hey, everyone. I've been invited to take part in a Star Wars: Age of Rebellion campaign. Nobody but the GM has played FFG Star Wars before, and as it'll be her first time GMing she is, per our mutual friend, somewhat nervous about it. Unfortunately, having never played myself, I don't really know what things to avoid as being mechanically annoying, so I'm worried I'm going to build around something that's going to cause a huge headache down the road without either of us realizing it ahead of time. Are there any skills/talents/weapons that are notoriously broken in Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion or just weird to deal with?
Advise your GM that auto-fire weapons can put out tremendous amounts of damage, both to groups and individuals. It'd be hard to ban them entirely, but maybe limit how often they are used against the players and try to avoid handing them out like candy.

Also, Force-users have the potential to completely overshadow non-Force users. Be careful not to unbalance a group too badly.

Well, she's already banned PC Force-users entirely, so that's not a problem, but I'll avoid auto-fire weapons. Thanks!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: March 21, 2019, 04:46:25 pm »

I have not played, but aren't force-users sort of the point of Star Wars?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: March 21, 2019, 04:54:20 pm »

There's a connected game, Force and Destiny, that uses the same rules but is geared towards playing as an entire group of Force users. Age of Rebellion is more about being an ordinary person, fighting against (or for, the rules are more than flexible enough) the Empire. Think more Han Solo than Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: March 21, 2019, 05:35:40 pm »

Edge of the Empire is like that too.  You *can* play as a force user, but the idea isn't to get involved with the Rebellion directly.  Your party is intended to be smugglers, mostly, operating in the fringe worlds.  The main antagonists and questgivers are the criminal syndicates you probably owe money to out of chargen (with mechanics on said debt "coming up" at random, depending on how deep you're in).

Our GM had a no-force-users rule which nobody minded.  It was a 2-3 session fling, we started in-media-res fleeing a heist and mostly just tracked down a smuggler for a crime boss we'd disappointed.  More chatting and playing cards for info than fighting, though we did have a running battle with a giant worm in the sewers.

(We got the info by *losing* a lot of money at cards, which got the card sharks in such a good mood they spilled the beans.  I think the GM said that if we'd won, they would have gotten violent.  We also did a dance competition.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 622