Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 834669 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6840 on: April 25, 2019, 11:57:51 am »

That's why I never call my groups of evil wizards a "Circle". We're the Hexagon of Evil, or the Nonagon of the Nine Hells, or <insert other named 2d shape here>.
Why 2d? Why not the Dodecahedron of Darkness or the Tesseract of the Transplanar Travails?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: April 25, 2019, 12:14:18 pm »

The Mobius Strip of Wizards have transcended good vs. evil, because there is only one side.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: April 25, 2019, 12:16:24 pm »

The Mobius Strip of Wizards have transcended good vs. evil, because there is only one side.
Actually, there's some Aberrations from the Far Realm on the other side of the Mobius Strip.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: April 25, 2019, 12:19:06 pm »

That's why I never call my groups of evil wizards a "Circle". We're the Hexagon of Evil, or the Nonagon of the Nine Hells, or <insert other named 2d shape here>.
Why 2d? Why not the Dodecahedron of Darkness or the Tesseract of the Transplanar Travails?

Easier if they're warlocks (for at-will flight) or necromancers (for the never-tiring workforce capable of constructing scaffolding). Otherwise the spell slot tax for constantly-prepped fly spells, while it does result in a suitably evil looking formation a la the Death Stranding trailers, is a bit too high.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: April 25, 2019, 12:24:01 pm »

Easier if they're warlocks (for at-will flight) or necromancers (for the never-tiring workforce capable of constructing scaffolding). Otherwise the spell slot tax for constantly-prepped fly spells, while it does result in a suitably evil looking formation a la the Death Stranding trailers, is a bit too high.
Warlocks have at-will flight? You must be tallking about a different edition than 5e, because they don't get at-will flight in 5e.
But what about races that can fly by themselves, can they join the Dodecahedron of Darkness?
Also, I don't think Cruxador meant literally having a tesseract shaped building, or whatever you're talking about.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: April 25, 2019, 12:32:13 pm »

Shows how much I know. Haven't played a warlock since 3.5, where they could take Fell Flight.

Assuming my knowledge of flying is still current, you'd have to have perfect flight so you could hover in place. I'm guessing that'd exclude Aarakocra and (most?) other forms of PC flight not granted by magic. Turns out that's all incorrect. 5e doesn't seem to do anything special in this regard - you can fly, you can hover in one spot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 12:35:39 pm by Mephisto »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: April 25, 2019, 01:11:27 pm »

I think the closest thing 5e warlocks get is the invocation to cast levitate at will.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: April 25, 2019, 01:28:18 pm »

Flying and levitating are very different things, but they would be able to levitate up to the place.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:31:31 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: April 25, 2019, 04:16:22 pm »

You also don't necessarily have to all stand in the formation of the shape that's in your name. The term "circle" doesn't denote that, so why should other shapes do so?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: April 25, 2019, 04:28:44 pm »

The Knights of the Round Table would like to disagree.

I think the main thing is that this is funnier.
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: April 25, 2019, 07:35:27 pm »

all these unorientable solids, some even in 4 dimensional space...

So, what-- are we gonna trap them all in a giant klein bottle? :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: April 27, 2019, 02:23:08 pm »

The Great Dodecahedron would be a good name for a cabal of twelve wizards.

I'm going for the classic in my new campaign, the Triumvirate is always a cool villainous name.  Stealing some shit from the Eador games with a world consisting of broken up shards floating in space, and a cosmic game to take control of them.  Each shard has ancient structures scattered across it, and the first to attune all of them rules the shard as a god.  The masters have a set of rules for contending over shards, since total warfare between immortal wizards rarely leaves anything worth claiming when it's over.  Most importantly, a contender can never act directly on a shard.  He has to use champions and intermediaries. 

The PCs don't know about any of this, but their world is being contested, and when they've made a name for themselves one of the contenders will make himself known.  Planning on having a kind of double-twist.  The master plays the gandalf cliche, a kindly wizard who offers advice and adventures for the party, then the twist is of course he's actually trying to take over the world.  The double-twist, once they think it's the obvious subverted trope, is that he really is benevolent, an enlightened dictator and all that.  And then ruling the empire across the sea is the Triumvirate, three masters who ascended as one and hate each other.  They don't care about the rules and if they win they'll tear the world apart scheming against each other.
Shoes...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: April 27, 2019, 08:44:11 pm »

I'm going to try to make an Awakened Cat character. Circle of moon druid, starting level 5, considering some levels in Rogue. Maybe arcane trickster because having mage hand is helpful when you're playing as a character that doesn't have normal hands.
Annoyingly it seems that Rogue sneak attacks don't work with non-finesse melee attacks, and none of the big strong attacks I have while wildshaped count as finesse. Am I supposed to believe that a tiger is incapable of sneak attacking?

Anyone have some build advise? "Don't play as an awakened cat" doesn't count. ;P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: April 28, 2019, 02:40:21 am »

Rules as written, natural weapons don't have the finesse quality unless explicitly noted, so even non-cat druids can't sneak attack while wildshaped.

However, since you could convince your GM to let you play an awakened cat, they're probably open to making unofficial rulings on what counts as a finesse weapon. Talk with them and see where it goes.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: April 28, 2019, 12:16:10 pm »

Straight moon druid is a pretty powerful subclass, especially early on, so I can understand why the rules would go out of their way to not give them sneak attack dice in wild shape.

I'm more curious as to how you're dealing with the Awakened Cat aspect. You just reflavoring the Tabaxi or doing something else?
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 622