Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 832118 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7020 on: July 17, 2019, 10:38:59 am »

<Never mind. Nothing to see here.>
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:07:50 pm by Mephisto »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: July 18, 2019, 03:56:00 am »

That doesn't look like anything to me.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: July 18, 2019, 03:59:54 am »

Freeze all motor functions. Freeze all motor functions!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: July 18, 2019, 06:33:32 am »

Skimming over the Chuubo rulebook felt like I lacked some pre-requisites. Like I'd have to read one of the Nobilis books first and also some academic introduction into self-referential story games.

Not my style, but I'm interested in how it goes in praxis.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: July 18, 2019, 08:20:57 am »

I will never play nobilis.  I will never play chuubo. 

On the bright side, the irregular irl dnd group im in has a new player who's never played anything, so I have an opportunity to steer him away from w*****ds and play keep on the borderlands.  Its got irregular player base so if we end up playing more I'll slowly flesh out a sandbox open table setup
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: July 23, 2019, 09:26:58 am »

After my previous [redacted] comment fell through, I have found myself in an upcoming forum-based (elsewhere) Symbaroum game. The GM mentioned that coming up with three ideas might be a good plan but I have no idea what I want to do.

Brain-dumping a bit:

My first thought was an independent mystic that is either human or changeling. If human, he's in search of the demon that forced this power upon him. The demon may or may not exist. If changeling, he has the same hereditary power that his human "family" does. This raises inconvenient questions about the nature of the elf habit of baby stealing.

Next, a dwarven monster hunter. I haven't come up with a rationale yet but he was probably exiled for some reason. Or maybe he was sent to improve relations with Thistle Hold by killing monsters.

Wizard who has taken to studying corruption like that one piece of fiction wherein a scientist documented what it felt like to slowly succumb to an incurable zombie virus. I really don't want to deal with the wizard mechanic of corruption management, though.

Sorcerer who is not cartoonishly evil. Most people have a bit of light corruption. He'd be a sort of healer by using his Black Breath power on people. If they're pure, they get very slightly corrupted. If they have corruption, however, it heals them a bit.

Theurge who is coming to terms with his corruption. Individuals with corruption feel sickened around sanctified areas and things. I think it would be neat to have a character that slowly came to hate touching his own sanctified weapon.

Blacksmith with a fire elemental pet thing. When the pet dies, he uses his skills to repair the armor and start the process again.

w*****ds

My mind is having trouble filling in the blanks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:48:04 am by Mephisto »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: July 23, 2019, 09:55:06 am »

w*****ds

My mind is having trouble filling in the blanks.
The answer is obviously "Wizzerds".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: July 23, 2019, 09:58:05 am »

whizzards.

You know, they really REALLY are into everything that is "golden shower" themed?

Dare you enter his magical realm?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: July 27, 2019, 10:19:56 am »

I counted those asterisks like five times God damn it

Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: July 27, 2019, 02:57:09 pm »

I counted those asterisks like five times God damn it
Well there's your problem; you should've only counted them four times.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: July 28, 2019, 03:45:33 pm »

As the DriveThruRPG sale comes to a close, I thought now would be a good time to see if anyone had any recommendations. The more obscure the better. For reference, I just picked up the Planet Archipelago mega bundle, a game I'm fairly confident few know of and fewer like.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: July 30, 2019, 08:30:52 pm »

Warlock of the chain can use a sprite to easily tell if someone is evil in 5e, with no use limit.
Remember, the sprite can turn invisible semi-permanently, which doesn't end if it uses its heart-sight.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:57:41 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: July 30, 2019, 10:56:23 pm »

Aside from the Play with Your Friends section, this seems like the place to ask--

I will be getting my fancy new wide format printer sometime tomorrow.  I am down with printing and mailing meat-space friendly maps and other assorted, without being the copyright police.  Would there be any takers?

My printer can handle up to 36" wide.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:58:02 pm by wierd »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: July 31, 2019, 10:10:11 am »

As much as I find using PDFs of rulebooks obnoxious because every PDF reader I've ever tried chugs on all of the images in most of them, I don't have any in particular that I'd rather have taking up space on a book shelf.  Lots of random, one-offs that I've accumulated over the years of my group wanting to test them out.

On that note, I've largely finished playing a game of GUMSHOE One-2-One, and... it didn't work as well as I hoped.  At this point I can't decide if it's because of flaws in the game system, or just because I used it poorly.  Very likely the latter.

My vague impression, after a single game with it anyway, is that it's very sensitive to how you set up encounters.  That in turn is also very sensitive to how careful you are at steering the player toward the clues and conclusions you want them to draw, because you're supposed to set up encounters / challenges at specific moments and have detailed consequences prepared for them.  As an example, if you want the player to resist flirting by an NPC, you're supposed to have a challenge designed with 3 outcomes, depending on how well they roll their Cool ability: an Advance for a high roll, a Hold for a middling one and a Setback for a low roll.  Those are usually each accompanied by a Problem or Edge that you hand out to the player, so improvising is difficult.  Even in a play by post format, I had a tough time thinking up appropriate Problems and Edges at the right time, since I wanted them to be something more interesting than a flat -1 to rolls or something.  And I had to improvise a lot, since the player inevitably went off in an entirely different direction than I expected at the very beginning of the game and invalidating a fair bit of my prepared encounters.

On that note, I absolutely understand now why the game provides prebuilt characters for you to use in the scenarios it includes in the Cthulhu Confidential rulebook.  First, you need to have a good motivation for a character to go and investigate whatever problem you set up as a GM, and having something to work with there helps.  More importantly, a character who does not have an investigative or general ability usually can't even attempt it, so if you mess up encounter design and ask for one of those abilities to be used or rolled, you screw the player over.  Did that twice by mistake.

Coming up with the right numbers for the challenges is hard too.  As the GM, you know the player's skill levels so you can usually assign appropriate difficulties with a bit more confidence than, say, a fight in a D20 system game, but even so it's easy for a player to roll a 1 on a die on several encounters and end up saddled with lots of Problems that cause something of a death spiral.  That's countered by making most Problems possible to get rid of by just "taking time", but if you don't impose consequences for taking time then it cheapens the effects a lot.

Anyway, the system works fine for what it does, but writing investigations for it is hard.  A lot harder than the base GUMSHOE system intended for multiple players, I think.  The prebuilt investigations in the Cthulhu Confidential rulebook are well designed and flavorful, and I think that's probably where the game does best: with a refined investigation that's been through rounds of play testing.  It would take a GM that's very experienced with the system to create new investigations quickly and with any decent polish.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: August 04, 2019, 08:44:42 am »

Idea: All-spellcaster party, but nobody has spell slots. Instead, to cast a non-trivial spell, you must take an appropriate drink (Throwing a fireball? Shot of Fireball). Continue until dead/dead/out of spells.

The DM does not require specific drinking rules. They're managing an all-spellcaster party that doesn't have spell slots. They'll be drinking anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 622