Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 836103 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7035 on: August 04, 2019, 10:05:58 am »

The drink counts for the material component, I trust.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: August 04, 2019, 10:08:55 am »

If mezcal is the drink in question, do you get instant crit if you get the worm?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: August 04, 2019, 12:34:22 pm »

And now we've reinvented Daiquiris and Demigods.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: August 09, 2019, 11:01:26 pm »

It's been a while.

This is Murderhoof, an RPG by those weirdos at Tri Tac. Discuss if you wish.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: August 10, 2019, 06:38:49 am »

What
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: August 11, 2019, 05:28:51 am »

Yeah, someone did a legit Pathfinder mod for ponies too. I dunno, maybe it was kinda funny a few years ago, but the sparkle of that particular irony's definitely in its twilight now.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: August 11, 2019, 05:29:54 am »

I dont think it ever had a sparkle.  Pony needed to stay inside its franchise, and not be a plague that wouldnt die, IMO.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: August 11, 2019, 05:45:33 am »

Eh, if pastel equines solving problems through close personal relationships is your cup of tea, I'm not gonna shame you over it. If you decide you want to merge that particular niche with your gaming hobby, I frankly don't lose any more respect for you compared to your choice of that form of fantasy over, say, bearded dwarven women, androgynous elven pretty-boys, or brooding emo drow characters.

That being said, you won't be playing a pony at my table. Yes, the game world is full of magical, wondrous and strange creatures, but at no point do I want to have a party of ponies prancing merrily through said world.

In other news, I've decided a future campaign for my group of intrepid guardspersons in my Pathfinder homebrew will be investigating a murder-mystery soon. It'll be set in a VIP brothel featuring expensive services for upper-class patrons desiring the unique and varied companionship of creatures not native to the material plane. I'm particularly proud of the planned name for this establishment: The Starving Succubus.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: August 11, 2019, 05:58:36 am »

Don't misunderstand, we basically agree.

I am not kinkshaming, I am just pointing out that demanding pony at the table is basically demanding piss wizard. Piss wizard never had sparkle, with the sole exception being if all the players wanted golden showe themed P&P.  Likewise with pony.  Pony needed to stay in its franchise, and in its fandom, but had a habit of not being.  Thus, no sparkle.

Re: your campaign

Sounds a bit like solving epstein's curious death..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:01:21 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: August 11, 2019, 06:23:52 am »

I was also whating at the complete nonsequiteuritude of the linked image. I understand the words, but I just don't understand a single thing about what's going on. And why is there a faun? Are fauns part of My Little Pony?

In other news, I've decided a future campaign for my group of intrepid guardspersons in my Pathfinder homebrew will be investigating a murder-mystery soon. It'll be set in a VIP brothel featuring expensive services for upper-class patrons desiring the unique and varied companionship of creatures not native to the material plane. I'm particularly proud of the planned name for this establishment: The Starving Succubus.

You should have it be placed on another plane to get around local laws. Ain't no laws against prostitution, infidelity or fornication in this pocket plane, Moralist Church Stand in. You have no authority here.

Also I'm reminded of Falls-From-Grace from Planescape: Torment - the "fallen" Succubus proprietor of a brothel where the courtesans only offer conversation to their clients.

bearded dwarven women

Hey now are we making this personal
Love, scriver~

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: August 11, 2019, 07:35:05 am »

There are no fauns in MLP. Murderhoof takes place in Tri Tac's Fringeworthy universe, which seems to be Earth "but what if X". X in this case seems to be "ponies invade but are actually evil and start slaughtering people with shotguns.

I didn't read enough to figure out what faun dude's deal is. He seems to be labeled a brony. I can think of two ways that could go but mobile posting is a PITA.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:02:03 am by Mephisto »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: August 12, 2019, 12:20:32 pm »

With illusory reality and the 6th level spell Major image, a 14th level wizard can create any object with following limitations.
  • The object can’t deal damage or otherwise directly harm anyone. This can be an advantage, though.
  • The object is inanimate.
  • The object is non-magical.
  • You have to use a bonus action every minute to keep it real.
  • The object is visible, maybe.
  • The illusion is placed within 120 feet of the wizard.
  • Maximum size is a 20 feet cube.

Things that are not limitations.
  • The object can indirectly harm someone.
  • You can make an object real after a period of it being an illusion.
  • You do not need to see or be near the object to make it real.
  • You do not need to obey gravity when placing the illusion.
  • You can move any distance away from the illusion after being placed.
  • You can change the nature of a seen illusion (with more than a 9 round duration.) with an action.
  • You can move an illusion with 120 feet to somewhere else within 120 feet as an action.

Ambiguous situations.
  • It is unknown if a "real" object still counts as an illusion.
  • It not specified that the user knows how the object works. Example: You could make a working computer without knowing how they actually work.
  • It is not specified that it needs to actually exist. Example: You could make an illusory slade hammer when slade doesn't really exist.

Additional notes.
  • You can keep 9 or 10 illusions real at the same time.
  • Major Images are reusable, just turn it into whatever you need at the moment, then turn it into a handkerchief or pebble and store it in your pocket when you're not using it.

Uses I have thought up. Obviously dependent on GM, but works in RAW.
  • You can create a non-magical panacea, keep it real until you digest it, then change the pile of illusory poop into something else.
  • You can create a wall of slade above someone, then make it real to drop down on them and keep them pinned. No direct damage.
  • You can make a racing car. If you crash, if the only thing you hit is the car, you won't take damage.
  • Hate your enemy racer? Replace his car with an illusion, and then let it become fake again while he's driving it at high speeds.
  • You can make can make an adamantine sarcophagus from the head down that keeps the enemy from doing anything but still allows attack on them.
  • You can make a layer of metal over the enemy's weapon/claws/mouth that keeps them from hurting anything.
  • Make an illusion of a detonating atom bomb, then when you want it detonate, make it real. How useful it is depends on if knockback or radiation are inderect harm or not. At bare minimum it's one hell of a distraction. Oh, and if it can't hurt you, the distracting atom bomb can be made with a minor illusion.
  • If you're fighting a horde, you could make an illlusion of a 20x20x20 cube of the toughest known non-magical material around them, with holes to contain them in. Then you can either let them suffocate, or let them go one by one outside to be fought.
  • You can make harmless sports equipment, such as actual swords for fencing.

Notes about other spells.
This is only considering 6th level Major Image. I haven't looked carefully at the applications of other spells, mostly because with major image you can just keep nine handkerchiefs in your pocket for when you need it.
Phantasmal forc
However, with an illusion with concentration, you could, say, make a bridge over a gap and then destroy it when an enemy tries to cross.
With Seeming, you can give enemy wizards heavy armor to prevent them from casting spells. You can make the illusion on any number of enemy spellcasters, but how many are real is much lower.
Silent Image and Minor Illusion are cheap ways to do it if you can't get a major image right now.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

Also, while I'm thinking of it, could Seeming make a creature invisible, possibly only with a one foot tall one?
And would a Seeming of a bag over someone's head prevent them from seeing, even without Illusory Reality?
And now that I think about it, Seeming doesn't say how large the clothing and equipment must be, only how much shorter or taller the person themself is. Could you use this to make a "real" fifty foot tall hat?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:52:59 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: August 12, 2019, 05:12:44 pm »

I feel like a lot of that is "assumed rules derived from the void left by 5e's intentionally ambiguous language", and is left entirely up to the discretion of the GM (yes of course everything already is, but not necessarily always in direct contrast/violation of written rules. In this case, it's the GM who has to write the rules half the time). And that's not even going into what can/can't actually be conjured by the individual illusion spells (minor illusion itself being a horrible example of such).

Additional note: A Tempest Cleric 2/Mountain Druid 5 can launch a 1/day guaranteed max-damage lightning bolt at CLevel 7, something an Evoker Wizard would have to wait until CLevel 14 to do.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: August 12, 2019, 05:26:58 pm »

Additional note: A Tempest Cleric 2/Mountain Druid 5 can launch a 1/day guaranteed max-damage lightning bolt at CLevel 7, something an Evoker Wizard would have to wait until CLevel 14 to do.
Actually its 1 per short rest.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: August 12, 2019, 05:57:56 pm »

[Illusion fuckery]

yeeeaaah, the illusion school in general is just a DM ruling funfest.

Remember when in 3.5 gnome shadowcraft mage could make an illusion that was literally more real than reality?  How does that even work.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 622