Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 835109 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7245 on: October 09, 2019, 04:08:07 am »

That's a lot of concentration though, how're you gonna swing that? Does the sorcerer have multiple personalities and each one is concentrating on a different critter?

I'm still quite a fan of the gorgon-behind-an-illusory-wall trick.

Also,
5e trap idea:
I am an inherently damaged individual, and interpreted this the wrong way first time around.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: October 09, 2019, 05:11:12 am »

Not sure. Magical items, perhaps? I double checked polymorph and technically, the elephants would probably be alive after being stepped on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: October 09, 2019, 05:40:03 am »

Not sure. Magical items, perhaps? I double checked polymorph and technically, the elephants would probably be alive after being stepped on...

They would indeed be alive in 5e. When a polymorphed creature hits 0 hp it reverts to it's original form at the same hp it was at before being polymorphed. If they can't fit into the space they're in, like a box or narrow passageway, they instead pop out into a nearby area with sufficient room.

A sorcerer villain could use twin polymorph to turn two beatstick minions into innocuous fragile creatures, such as baby seals, and have them revert and be immediately in melee with the first person to club them to death.

It would usually be more sensible to just turn minions into dinosaurs though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: October 09, 2019, 06:50:39 am »

Ah yes, a true test of the heroes' honor. Can they walk past the baby seals and the free club without clubbing them?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: October 09, 2019, 08:31:44 am »

Hmm. This does however open up the possibility for polymorphing the barbarian into a spider, and then getting the halfling to slingshot them into the fray.

Also, with Tiny being the smallest size, I'm entertained by the fact that crabs and bats are the same size as scorpions and cats... And velociraptors.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: October 09, 2019, 08:41:04 am »

The velociraptor was about the size of a big chicken. If you want those things from Jurassic Park, look at the stat block of the deinonychus.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: October 09, 2019, 09:17:43 am »

I kind of want to run some weird mashup between Nobilis and D&D now (no, not really).

Polymorph your punchy dudes into the concept of the emptiness of the next room. When the PCs "kill" the emptiness by entering the room, the baddies pop into existence behind them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: October 09, 2019, 10:03:25 am »

The velociraptor was about the size of a big chicken. If you want those things from Jurassic Park, look at the stat block of the deinonychus.
I know, but that's still a very large spider/scorpion/frog. And also coconut crabs are apparently the norm for crustaceans.

And, getting carried away with creature lists, I see that stirges are just considered "beasts", so a high-level druid can burn a 9th level slot on Conjure Animals to summon 32 of the fuckers at once.

...I mean, sure, with that same slot they could pull out 8 giant octopuses or 4 allosaurs, but nothing screams "DM fiat" quite like offering the table the chance to run paperwork for 32 stirges in a fight.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: October 09, 2019, 10:47:20 am »

Animals Shapes allows you to turn every ally within 30 feet into Large or smaller beasts with a challenge rating of 4 or lower, and you can use an action to turn them into new beasts.
Just cram as many peasants into the 30 foot radius as possible, then turn them all into flies. Then they can all go take up enough space for you to turn them into giant scorpions.
Every turn, you can turn them all into a giant snapping turtle or back, raising their beast hp back up each time.
This is the best spell if you are spearheading a peasant's rebellion, since it doesn't require the targets to already be powerful for good results.
The druid should probably hide somewhere for the 24 hours so their concentration is not broken.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:50:58 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: October 09, 2019, 10:56:01 am »

And, getting carried away with creature lists, I see that stirges are just considered "beasts", so a high-level druid can burn a 9th level slot on Conjure Animals to summon 32 of the fuckers at once.

The Urge to Stirge
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: October 09, 2019, 11:42:37 am »

Animals Shapes allows you to turn every ally within 30 feet into Large or smaller beasts with a challenge rating of 4 or lower, and you can use an action to turn them into new beasts.
Just cram as many peasants into the 30 foot radius as possible, then turn them all into flies. Then they can all go take up enough space for you to turn them into giant scorpions.
Every turn, you can turn them all into a giant snapping turtle or back, raising their beast hp back up each time.
This is the best spell if you are spearheading a peasant's rebellion, since it doesn't require the targets to already be powerful for good results.
The druid should probably hide somewhere for the 24 hours so their concentration is not broken.

Shame you can't combine the two; be a lot nicer to just whip up 32 obedient fey spirits with one spell and turn them all into rampaging monsters with the other. Buuut I guess that's why concentration is a thing... So you have to deal with finicky, skittish peasants.

Not that you necessarily have to count on their bravery and coordination in order to get something done, mind... Turn them all into hawks and tell them to fly up high into the sky because you need to gather information on troop movements. Then once they're over the enemy, reshape them into elephants.

Probably only work the one time though, word is likely to spread.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: October 09, 2019, 12:02:46 pm »

You don't need to deal with skittish peasants, anyone will do, including hardened veterans.
I just thought a large amount of peasants would be much easier to get, plus this is pretty much the only case where a peasant uprising is better than the PCs just fighting the evil vizier on their own.

EDIT: Also, if you somehow got willing targets of insects, you could turn each and every one of them that fits into the 30 foot radius into a giant scorpion as well.
Just imagine the army of millions of giant scorpions.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 12:20:46 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: October 09, 2019, 12:20:31 pm »

You don't need to deal with skittish peasants, anyone will do, including hardened veterans.
I just thought a large amount of peasants would be much easier to get, plus this is pretty much the only case where a peasant uprising is better than the PCs just fighting the evil vizier on their own.

EDIT: Also, if you somehow got willing targets of insects, you could turn each and every one of them that fits into the 30 foot radius into a giant scorpion as well.
I mean, the game isn't really designed around that. If you want grand political adventures, ACKS is arguably your best bet.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 09, 2019, 12:28:15 pm »

I mean, the game isn't really designed around that. If you want grand political adventures, ACKS is arguably your best bet.

Or board/video games. You probably want more tactics, less role-playing for that type of game.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: October 09, 2019, 12:33:01 pm »

So.. some kind of area effect mind control against a large termite mound (so they become willing/tractable)- followed by this absurd spell, means millions of evil scorpions?

I ask, because there's an awful lot of termites in a mature termite mound..
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1440-6055.1970.tb00766.x

Much more than 32. I'll put it at that.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 622