Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825556 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7275 on: October 10, 2019, 04:48:05 am »

Except the size category stops at tiny... Which is the same size as a housecat or a fairy. 

Mechanically, the D&D world has some very large creatures in it.

(But if you don't want to be a germ, due to needing to be able to see it, you COULD pick a tardigrade instead. Those are both sufficiently large to be seen with the naked eye (about the size of a printed full stop), practically invincible, and small enough to hide anywhere with full cover.

But again, mechanically the size of a cat, because "tiny" is as small as it gets.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: October 10, 2019, 06:04:05 am »

Except the size category stops at tiny... Which is the same size as a housecat or a fairy. 

Mechanically, the D&D world has some very large creatures in it.

(But if you don't want to be a germ, due to needing to be able to see it, you COULD pick a tardigrade instead. Those are both sufficiently large to be seen with the naked eye (about the size of a printed full stop), practically invincible, and small enough to hide anywhere with full cover.

But again, mechanically the size of a cat, because "tiny" is as small as it gets.
I'm not sure how you forgot about diminutive and fine, given that someone mentioned the fine size category literally two posts prior.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: October 10, 2019, 06:26:40 am »

i will blame a combination of lack of sleep, with two cups of espresso, for my lack of attention span.

Yes. That's it. It's all the chemical's fault!

:P

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: October 10, 2019, 06:53:54 am »

Looks like it's an edition difference. So unless you're new age grognards, tiny is in fact the smallest.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: October 10, 2019, 07:40:23 am »

Wait, Wild Shape can make you invisible?
The Archdruid NPC's Wild Shape ability is different from the player ability in a couple of different ways, including allowing them to become an Invisible Stalker.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: October 10, 2019, 10:50:50 am »

Is there any reason a Ring of Spell Storing couldn't allow everyone in the party to get a Found Steed and a Found Familiar so long as someone in the party has those spells?
And does casting Find Steed from the ring take an additional 10 minutes?

Tangent: I've heard people claim that you could use the ring of spell storing to make the Steed cast Find Steed, or a familiar Find Familiar, but this clearly doesn't work, because as per Wild Shape, beasts can't really cast spells, intelligent beasts or not.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: October 10, 2019, 11:52:53 am »

Assuming this is 5e we're talking about:
It would take some time, but yes the party could do that.
Casting a spell from the ring takes as long as it took to cast the spell into the ring.

There's no restrictions on attunement for creatures like beasts except common sense. Familiars and steeds from Find Steed are also not beasts, but either celestial, fiend, or fey creature types.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: October 10, 2019, 01:37:49 pm »

The question isn't whether or not they can attune to the ring, but whether or not they can cast the spell from the ring, which I don't think they can.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: October 10, 2019, 02:13:38 pm »

Doesn't 5e usually operate under "rules for this thing supersede rules for something vaguely related"?

Meaning, the ring says any creature may cast spells. Looking at the rules for Wild Shape and applying them to the ring would be incorrect.

And then the GM is free to come along and say "no that's dumb, of course your familiar can't have a magical mount".

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: October 10, 2019, 02:25:00 pm »

Doesn't 5e usually operate under "rules for this thing supersede rules for something vaguely related"?

Meaning, the ring says any creature may cast spells. Looking at the rules for Wild Shape and applying them to the ring would be incorrect.

And then the GM is free to come along and say "no that's dumb, of course your familiar can't have a magical mount".
Exactly. Wild Shape has no domain here because its a specific player ability, and again, familiars are not beasts.

The point of the ring is that anyone wearing it and attuned to it can cast spells from it. Now a horse probably can't wear it, and as a DM, I'd consider most familiar options would be too dumb to use the ring, but a warlock's imp or pseudodragon absolutely could.
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: October 10, 2019, 02:25:34 pm »

@Mephisto
Wait, when casting the spell from the ring, don't you still need to do the S, M, and V components?
And isn't that why Wild Shaped druids can't cast spells, because the components can't be done?
Also, by your logic, can a barbarian cast while raging using the ring?

@Persus13: Sure they're not beasts, but they have the form of them. Other than the aforementioned warlock familiars and the crawling hand, obviously.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:30:02 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: October 10, 2019, 02:44:04 pm »

Quote from: Ring of Spell Storing (partial)
While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell Attack bonus, and Spellcasting Ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell. The spell cast from the ring is no longer stored in it, freeing up space.
You're performing the Cast a Spell action using someone else's stats. Cast a Spell is an action that requires you to provide the spell's components (which many beast shapes can't) and that can't be performed while raging.

It's an interesting thing, by the way, that rage only prevents you from casting spells; bardic inspiration isn't a spell. Thus, if you're multiclassed, you can still sing clearly and dexterously strum your instrument if you wish, but somehow can't speak weird words and gesture arcane finger-pointings.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: October 10, 2019, 02:57:07 pm »

I'm not Mephisto, but I'm going to answer these anyway.
@Mephisto
Wait, when casting the spell from the ring, don't you still need to do the S, M, and V components?
And isn't that why Wild Shaped druids can't cast spells, because the components can't be done?
Also, by your logic, can a barbarian cast while raging using the ring?
Casting spells from the ring follow the normal rules for casting spells from a magic item, but use the original caster's stats. So you'll need to do any verbal and somatic components, but the material components are covered by the ring (and were used by the initial caster). So yes, by that logic, barbarians cannot cast ring spells while raging.

Wild Shaped Druids can't cast spells not because beasts can't cast spells, but because the rules specifically says Wild Shaped Druids can't cast spells. And notably, they get this ability back at 18th level for spells without material components.

@Persus13: Sure they're not beasts, but they have the form of them. Other than the aforementioned warlock familiars and the crawling hand, obviously.
Having the form of beasts doesn't matter. Beast bond, Animal Friendship, anything that affects beasts would not affect a familiar or a steed.
Sigtext

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: October 10, 2019, 03:07:29 pm »

It's an interesting thing, by the way, that rage only prevents you from casting spells; bardic inspiration isn't a spell. Thus, if you're multiclassed, you can still sing clearly and dexterously strum your instrument if you wish, but somehow can't speak weird words and gesture arcane finger-pointings.

And now we're back to bardbarians.

I don't know which would be more amusing, the dude who beheads people violently while singing Generic Medieval Fantasy Music or the dude who switches from GMFM to Screamo when battle starts.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: October 13, 2019, 04:57:06 am »

So, something occurred to me... You know the ubiquitous dungeon puzzledoor with a vague inscription or clues on how to solve the puzzle? I'd wondered a bit as to why someone would go to the trouble of putting an enchanted, locked puzzledoor to block access to something and then leave the answer in plain sight, specifically so that a plucky band of adventurers could figure it out and break in.

But then I realized: It's basically the medieval fantasy equivalent of a password hint. Wizards have a lot on their mind; they're not going to just intuitively remember the unlock code to every enchanted dungeon puzzledoor they've got set up! Sometimes you need a little memory kick to bring things back into perspective! So they put down a relevant hint to remind them of the solution.

I liked this idea both because it sorta explains a fantasy trope, but also because of the incredibly bizarre hints you can start rationalizing as being relevant to the scattered brain of whatever wizard set the thing up in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 622