Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825430 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7290 on: October 13, 2019, 06:02:41 am »

I prefer just using keys myself.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: October 13, 2019, 06:39:01 am »

Keys? And trust locksmiths? The lower class?!?
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: October 13, 2019, 06:44:43 am »

I think the issue for wizards is not trusting the lower class, its trusting literally anyone.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: October 13, 2019, 06:48:48 am »

Considering that "magical company" gets less and less trustworthy the more magical they get, it makes sense for wizards to become more and more paranoid the more powerful they become.

EG, while they may start out life playing with other little children, and the world is good-- by the time they are old and decrepid, they have demons for "friends", and similar company. (outsiders of various kinds and shapes, gods of various stripes trying to tempt them into doing things-- etc. There is GOING to be a mental collateral to that.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: October 13, 2019, 06:52:30 am »

I think the issue for wizards is not trusting the lower class, its trusting literally anyone.
But especially anyone who can't even bother to accomplish the most basic task in learning even a single lock/unlock spell!
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: October 13, 2019, 08:06:01 am »

Most magical beings can be kept at bay with intangible protections, wards, circles, hallowing and so on. Anything that actually has to step through a door is more efficiently kept at bay by a well made mundane lock and a sturdy door bar than with some convoluted puzzle.

I think of complicated door opening mechanisms the same way as traps, if you actually use the area then the inconvenience easily outweighs the security, and if you don't use the area then why bother having it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: October 13, 2019, 10:09:19 am »

I think of complicated door opening mechanisms the same way as traps, if you actually use the area then the inconvenience easily outweighs the security, and if you don't use the area then why bother having it.

As a backup, mostly -- at least, that's an excuse I've used in the past for trapped entrances to wizard's towers. Things can be secure and inconvenient if they're the equivalent to the security questions you use when recovering your bank password. Maybe the mage usually flies in through a portal that's keyed to her unique magic signature or something, and the ground-level entrance is for when she's been transmogrified into something incapable of doing that so it has to be theoretically accessible to everyone.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:20:41 am by Trekkin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: October 13, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »

Most magical beings can be kept at bay with intangible protections, wards, circles, hallowing and so on. Anything that actually has to step through a door is more efficiently kept at bay by a well made mundane lock and a sturdy door bar than with some convoluted puzzle.

I think you underestimate wizard paranoia and hammer syndrome.  If I'm a powerful wizard, anyone breaking into my lab is obviously there to steal my secrets so he can learn how to kill me, so I'm paranoid as hell.  If I'm a powerful wizard, you better believe I'm gonna throw that shit around.  You go ahead and stick a lock on your door to keep a 1HD burglar out, I'm stringing my entire lab with monomolecular force fields that'll slice you in half if you walk through them.

And that's actually a fake lab, my real lab is underground, permanently dark, and full of bound shadows.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: October 13, 2019, 04:08:21 pm »

More intruders have entered the complex, master
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: October 13, 2019, 04:57:37 pm »

More intruders have entered the complex, master
I don't even want to admit how familiar that phrase is with me...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: October 13, 2019, 05:19:24 pm »

"Just release the torasque from the dimension box in room six. The whole of that level doubles as a confinement zone for that thing anyway. Do I really have to think of everything for you nitwits? I have much more pressing matters with negotiating the delivery of human souls to the burning hells in exchange for one of Vecna's fingers right now."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: October 13, 2019, 05:31:30 pm »

>get deck of many things
>put it in an unlocked display case in your guest room
>display case is a spatial warping field that shrinks everything inside it
>the desk is the size of a barn and there's a monster-filled maze etched into the stone of the case
Shoes...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: October 13, 2019, 05:46:09 pm »

Deck of Many Things has like a 50% chance of dealing with intruders all on its own, if we're being fair.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: October 13, 2019, 05:57:55 pm »

Honestly, if you can reach a certain level of output you can just give away all your failed magic items to the party instead of fighting them. They'll take care of themselves in short order.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: October 13, 2019, 06:38:49 pm »

I love the idea of an antichamber before the wizard's main chamber with a chest full of decent enchanted weapons and a note that says "Take these and please leave."
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 622