Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 832542 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7470 on: November 04, 2019, 01:48:33 pm »

Is sunlight sensitivity just about sight? As I understood it it was also about being under the sun in general.
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: November 04, 2019, 01:55:52 pm »

Is sunlight sensitivity just about sight? As I understood it it was also about being under the sun in general.
That's generally how I've understood it as well.

There are magic items that mitigate Sunlight Sensitivity in some of the adventures, and generally dim light is not enough to trigger in most games I've seen. Generally sunglasses is not enough in most games I've seen or played in.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: November 04, 2019, 02:13:32 pm »

I know about orcs, but that doesn't mean my statement is false. The 5e Eberron book coming out in 2 weeks will have a new version of orcs without the -2 Int penalty.
Ah, I see.

It is about sight, yeah.

The malus of sunlight sensitivity revolves entirely around sight:
Quote from: drow player race sunlight sensitivity
You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of the attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Quote from: kobold player race sunlight sensitivity
You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

Both being almost exactly the same, it's clear that sunlight sensitivity is all about sight; they don't get burned, injured or exhausted by sunlight, or anything like that. It's not a metaphysical weakness, it's just dazzlingly bright for these darkness-dwelling creatures. 

Considering the draconic nature of kobolds, I'd find it hard to believe that they'd get sunburnt, and even if they did that would just require robes to fix.

Note something like a vampire which is harmed by sunlight is "sunlight hypersensitivity".
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: November 04, 2019, 04:06:09 pm »

What are these Eberron kobold stats? What do they get to counter the lost attribute values?

Mammalian kobolds > Reptilian kobolds
I like armadillo kobolds. Both furry and scaly. Both cute and unsettling. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: November 04, 2019, 04:20:48 pm »

I thought of kobold-dillos too. Or kobold-pangolins. Adorably horrifying.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: November 04, 2019, 04:34:01 pm »

What are these Eberron kobold stats? What do they get to counter the lost attribute values?
Eberron won't have new kobolds, it has new orcs that are less dumb.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: November 04, 2019, 04:50:49 pm »

Eberron won't have new kobolds, it has new orcs that are less dumb.
Why? I don't know Eberron. Why are orcs there special?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: November 04, 2019, 05:29:33 pm »

Personally I think they're taking advantage of the new setting to revisit unpopular racial mechanics, but most races in Eberron are different in some way or another from the usual depiction. Orcs tend to be less "dumb evil tribal brutes" and more "an ancient race of druids and paladins holding back supernatural threats in the far corners of the world" in Eberron though.
Sigtext

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: November 04, 2019, 06:24:48 pm »

I thought of kobold-dillos too. Or kobold-pangolins. Adorably horrifying.

I'm cool with the existing draconic/saurian kobolds, but I'd like to see a nod toward a more recent understanding of non-avian dinosaurs, particularly the smaller raptors. Kobold-chickenpupperlizards, if you will. Admittedly I'd give them more elaborate head quills to serve the same signaling function as visible ears on a cat, forward-facing eyes with elliptical pupils and opposable thumbs, but they could just as easily be clucking fluffy adorable things or scary hawklike pack hunters depending largely on how puffed up they are. In which case, I suppose, dragons would be enormous feathered serpents with a general demeanor somewhere between a raven and a housecat.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:33:40 pm by Trekkin »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: November 04, 2019, 08:55:09 pm »

From my understanding, kobolds are reptilian because of their draconic ancestry, and thus don't have a necessity to reflect modern knowledge of dinosaurs.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: November 04, 2019, 09:43:49 pm »

From my understanding, kobolds are reptilian because of their draconic ancestry, and thus don't have a necessity to reflect modern knowledge of dinosaurs.

Oh, sure. There's no necessity for kobolds at all, let alone updating them. I just think that, to the extent that modern paleontology has informed some modern depictions of dragons (Game of Thrones, for example) by giving them pterosaur-ish forelimb wings -- and entirely avoiding the question of the extent, if any, to which medieval discoveries of dinosaur fossils informed the original Western dragon myths -- it'd be a fun variant to take that to its logical conclusion and have more avian kobolds. 

I'm not going to sit here and tell anyone how to run their game. We have more than enough of that. There are just some things that I think would be funny or cool or useful to see in addition to what's already out there, and clucking kobolds happen to be one of them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: November 05, 2019, 12:27:51 am »

Kobold Terrorbirds in 5.. 4... 3...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: November 05, 2019, 06:49:52 am »

I'm very hipster about kobolds. I used to be entirely on the cutebold train, but it feels so 2010 these days, and there's way too many people liking this old sock
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: November 05, 2019, 11:42:09 am »

Sooo...

Variant Human Warlock 2/Sorcerer 2... Spell Sniper feat, Eldritch Spear invocation, Distant Spell metamagic...

Is that eldritch blast with a range of 1,200 feet?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: November 05, 2019, 11:57:36 am »

Nope, you need a third level of sorcerer for that.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 622