Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825408 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2015, 03:27:34 am »

There are for sure forums that already do that.
It's just not this forum. This one's not soley dedicated to DnD or Pathfinder, they are both side-interests of the forum. Definitely interests, which is why we even have the section for it, but not enough to split into even more sections.
The forums primary interest, DF, obviously gets a lot of sections. Even a whole section for community games.
I would recomend GitPGames.com, not only because they're two main interests are DnD and a webcomic based on DnD, and not only because I used to be/still could be a member if I ever bothered to check back in, but because it actually does have separate boards for Sign-ups, IC, and OOC threads.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2015, 03:33:51 am »

One of the reasons I kind of do my recruitment here (and this IRC chat I go to) is because I kind of want to host game for people I can loosely call friends. People who would be understanding about how fresh I am to DMing and won't jump down my throat because of a bad mistake.

I kind am looking for a warm inviting environment where I can feel like I can create the best games possible where messing up isn't a big deal.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2015, 09:51:16 am »

well, I personally wouldn't participate in an online D&D game, but if you guys want to give it a try I'd be happy to help with worldbuilding and serve as a sounding board fro handling situations etc.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2015, 10:49:34 am »

well, I personally wouldn't participate in an online D&D game, but if you guys want to give it a try I'd be happy to help with worldbuilding and serve as a sounding board fro handling situations etc.

I would appreciate that... my old sound board bro kind got busy... and the even older super genius sounding bro got distant.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2015, 11:39:11 am »

On the subject of worldbuilding, do you guys like high-fantasy or low fantasy?  Realistic worlds or fantastical worlds?  Why?

I tend to make High fantasy world that are realistic (the world is physically bound by the same processes as Earth, tho' magic may alter them sometimes.)

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2015, 11:42:59 am »

High-fantasy fantastical worlds.

Because they kind of offer the most in terms of situations and obstacles... and I mean that even as a player.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2015, 11:47:05 am »

I dunno, landslides/mudslides/floods etc. can be rather terrifying obstacles too.  Really fantastical worlds are pretty cool tho'.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2015, 11:55:46 am »

I like high-fantasy for the monster's/PC's but I also implement a lot of low fantasy challenges... like wading through a swamp and contracting boot rot.
I suppose I'd be mid-fantasy then?  Magic and neigh-super power levels of swordsmanship but you are still totally mortal bodies.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2015, 12:15:47 pm »

I like high-fantasy for the monster's/PC's but I also implement a lot of low fantasy challenges... like wading through a swamp and contracting boot rot.
I suppose I'd be mid-fantasy then?  Magic and neigh-super power levels of swordsmanship but you are still totally mortal bodies.

Well no. Even high fantasy never forgets that sometimes a knife to the back is far more effective then a fireball to the face.

You need ordinary regular events to ground the setting.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2015, 01:30:21 pm »

Posting to watch.
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2015, 01:45:30 pm »

Most of my experience with D&D has been through computer games (mainly Dark Queen of Krynn, the Baldur's Gate series, and Temple of Elemental Evil.

I tried to play a real campaign with people a couple of times but the first one fell apart due to my inexperience and poor preparation as a DM and the players' inexperience with the system, and the second time didn't work out because my schedule conflicted with everyone else's in the group. Didn't stop me from buying an assload of the rulebooks though.

EDIT:
I also play D&D Adventure System, but that doesn't really count.

EDIT:
I also briefly drew a comic/ISG set in the Abyss on MSPA's messageboard that got shelved due to lack of interest.
http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?52649-Ekolid-A-Demonic-Adventure
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:57:02 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »

Does not railroad plot, and permits players to spin their wheels in futility chasing geese around, if that is their wish-- but at least makes said goose chasing entertaining, and thus still enjoyable for the group. Part of a good setting for the plot is an evocative, and alluring environment that begs to be explored, after all.  Not all exploring is going to advance the plot, but exploring is part of what makes a good game session fun and entertaining. A good DM is not afraid of "irrelevant bullshit", as long as it is setting appropriate, and not just players being shits. (The story equivalent of drawing dicks on everything, just because they can.  A good DM would let somebody do that, then have the offender arrested by the city guard for vadalism and lewd public displays, and conjure up a new mini-plot device about getting ShitPlayer out of jail.)

Does not produce consequences that are bullshit.  Produces consequences that are sensible, rational, and fitting to the story and setting.

Does not try to murder offensive player characters; instead, "encourages" better behavior through appropriate application of consequences.

NOT a rule book beating puritanical tyrant.
I'll agree with this in general terms, but I'll say you shouldn't be too enthusiastic about punishing players. Certainly let players do as they wish, but if they're being disruptive and annoying, it's better to deal with that out of game than dragging your game down to teach the problem player a lesson, which may not even work.

Also, it's nice to ask players if they really want to do something or just paraphrase what they're doing before you enact consequences, even if it's too early for them to know what those consequences will be, so that they properly see that they caused this to happen. Not necessary, but nice.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2015, 04:08:56 pm »

Artifacts, are they in your games?  Do you like them?  Hate them?  Do you feel they add anything to the narrative?  Do you have any stories to share?

I love 'em, use them all the time, I've got worlds with artifacts that can do unimaginable things (okay, not unimaginable, I imagined them), I've built artifacts that do silly things, terrifying things, and everything in between, hell I've got PCs who's SO IS an artifact.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2015, 04:17:07 pm »

Yeah I've used artifacts before but mostly they have started off as something unassuming with a particular trigger condition or usually some form of drawback/issue until the PC's figure it out.... basically artifacts in my games tend to have their own little mini quests even after you get them.
Nom nom nom

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2015, 04:20:39 pm »

I really think that we (Bay12 forum goers) should arrange a skype or IRC based Pen and paper time slot. We already do roleplay type things in the subforums anyway with the community fortress type things.
Check the Forum Games and Role-Playing board. There's plenty of games doing this already :P

Also good luck finding them :P

It is why I think a recruit section and a "actually play the game" section should be separate.

That's a good idea

On the subject of worldbuilding, do you guys like high-fantasy or low fantasy?  Realistic worlds or fantastical worlds?  Why?

High-fantasy has less need for awkward plot contrivances.

Fantastic worlds are more interesting han realistic ones.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:25:14 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 622