Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 835579 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7500 on: November 08, 2019, 09:54:24 am »

Pounded In the Butt by my Chronometer's Ding Dong
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: November 14, 2019, 01:18:59 pm »

Suggestion: A room filled with mimics, and one actual chest.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: November 14, 2019, 01:22:11 pm »

Suggestion: None of the mimics is mimicking a chest. Instead they mimic all the objects on the way to the chest.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: November 14, 2019, 01:43:04 pm »

Borderlands 2 did it.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: November 14, 2019, 01:44:16 pm »

Really dig through the old D&D books.

You peek through the open doorway. At the far end of the room is a chest positively overflowing with gold, gems, and equipment. Against one wall is a bed. In a corner is a cloak on a coat rack. There's a decorative rug in the middle of the room.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But seriously don't do mimics. They're shitty creatures that only exist as a take that. "I shoot every chest I see with an arrow from the other side of the room" is definitely a personality quirk but in no universe is that fun.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: November 14, 2019, 01:52:04 pm »

I like the trap that teleports all equipment into another (cold) room, with a cloaker in between, if you're just trying to screw with people. Although Mephisto's suggestion that you just don't do that thing is probably better.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: November 14, 2019, 01:52:53 pm »

I forget which edition we were doing, but one of the (very few) times I've actually played D&D was on IRC with a few people from here. Our plucky party assembled outside of a cave, and the game started with us entering into the cave to explore.

Piercers.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: November 14, 2019, 02:01:20 pm »

I forget which edition we were doing, but one of the (very few) times I've actually played D&D was on IRC with a few people from here. Our plucky party assembled outside of a cave, and the game started with us entering into the cave to explore.

Piercers.

I remember something like them having wings, maybe?

And I'm remembering this, for some reason.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: November 15, 2019, 07:50:24 am »

You peek through the open doorway. At the far end of the room is a chest positively overflowing with gold, gems, and equipment. Against one wall is a bed. In a corner is a cloak on a coat rack. There's a decorative rug in the middle of the room.

But seriously don't do mimics. They're shitty creatures that only exist as a take that. "I shoot every chest I see with an arrow from the other side of the room" is definitely a personality quirk but in no universe is that fun.

Don't do mimics too much ;)
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: November 15, 2019, 03:14:27 pm »

Despite D&D usually failing to fire up any of my plot juices, after re-reading some of the demon lords fluff I've started envisioning a campaign in which Baphomet and Yeenoghu spill their forces onto the material plane for a grudge match to end all grudge matches, with the realms of mortals being caught in between the steadily growing tides of clashing demons.

Initial stuff is small scale, an increase in the number of ghouls roaming the countryside, a few gnoll warbands popping up where they shouldn't be, minotaurs and beast cultists clashing with the former, minor demons starting to join the forces as time progresses, minor settlements being raided or outright sacked until eventually each amass an army and assault castles or cities to establish a true foothold in the world and create permanent gates into the Abyss from which the demon hordes can march.

I imagine the players role initially being hunting down some of the smaller bands of roaming monsters, foiling the odd cult or quarantining a ghoul outbreak, with them gradually finding out what's actually going on and having some opportunity to try and stop or slow the creation of mortal monsters and the summoning of demons, or possibly them deciding to throw in with one of the demon lords.

Eventually being tasked with helping evacuate villages in the path of the hordes or sack them depending on allegiance, prepare defences and ultimately try to keep demons from capturing major cities long enough to prepare to strike at the sources of them, or join the vanguard of the hordes in routing the other.

Regardless, I'd rather like a clash between the PCs and Baphomet and/or Yeenoghu, possibly at the same time in a 3 way brawl.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: November 15, 2019, 03:19:14 pm »

Don't do mimics too much ;)
It's not just about frequency. If it's completely without warning, once is likely too much. On the other hand, you can have a whole mimic dungeon if it's clear enough that this is the mimic dungeon and in most dungeons there won't be mimics.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: November 15, 2019, 04:21:05 pm »

Regardless, I'd rather like a clash between the PCs and Baphomet and/or Yeenoghu, possibly at the same time in a 3 way

It sounds interesting, but only works if the players know and care about the demon lords used.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: November 16, 2019, 06:17:26 pm »

It loses some impact if the players don't know about the beef between the two, but they are still demon lords* leading what is basically an apocalypse. Taking them on is generally going to feel awesome with appropriate in game buildup regardless of prior knowledge.

*Weaker ones mind you, which is a benefit if anything for this kind of idea.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: November 17, 2019, 06:44:07 pm »

It occurred to me recently that the 1" cutting guides on the back of wrapping paper would be perfect for playing grid-based games with miniatures. Wouldn't last very long under stress, but would be a good start point for building your own in a hurry and on the cheap.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 622