Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 835346 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7845 on: April 07, 2020, 05:03:00 pm »

Is it though? Technically it's a feat ability, not an item ability, and the Thief perk lets you "use an item" as a bonus action.

So I'd say it's a matter of being able to stabilize with a bonus action (as per the healer kit), then heal with an action (as per the Healer feat).

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: April 07, 2020, 05:14:53 pm »

The funny thing is that Healing Spirit literally just got errataed to not be overpowered anymore.

Thieves using their bonus action to heal with healing kits is a fun build to do. I've got a character that's built around that. And while you can bring people to 1, doing the second bullet point is better because while people with 1 health are back in the fight, its a bad place to be if you're fighting anyone who can do a lot of damage.

Is it though? Technically it's a feat ability, not an item ability, and the Thief perk lets you "use an item" as a bonus action.

So I'd say it's a matter of being able to stabilize with a bonus action (as per the healer kit), then heal with an action (as per the Healer feat).
It does. Feat ability is not a defined term, so that has no impact on rules interactions. You're using a Healer's Kit item to do something that requires an action for its use, which is considered the Use an Object action, which Thief Rogues can do as a bonus action.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: April 07, 2020, 05:16:37 pm »

It would be fun to play a setting with no magical healing where rogues are the main healers, IMO.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: April 07, 2020, 05:18:51 pm »

You are using an item to heal, much as you're using an item to stabilise.

Consider the wording of the default healer's kit.
As an action, you can expend one use of the kit to stabilize a creature that has 0 Hit Points, without needing to make a Wisdom (Medicine) check.
vs the feat
As an action, you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature and restore 1d6 + 4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice.

Same as it's using an item to deploy caltrops.
As an action, you can spread a single bag of caltrops to cover a 5-foot-square area.

'As an action, you can do X' is just the wording they utilise for using an item, and so the feat applies.

The funny thing is that Healing Spirit literally just got errataed to not be overpowered anymore.
Oh? What's the change?

It would be fun to play a setting with no magical healing where rogues are the main healers, IMO.
You'd just have to rest after each combat, since you can only heal a person once per rest with the feat.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: April 07, 2020, 05:25:48 pm »

Healing Spirit only heals 1+ your spellcasting ability times before the spell ends. It was in the latest round of errata which released in the last week.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: April 07, 2020, 05:30:54 pm »

You'd just have to rest after each combat, since you can only heal a person once per rest with the feat.
Ideally the players shouldn't always have the option of long resting after each and every fight. Though that might make things way too hard if medkits are 1/long rest. Maybe you could make it cost Hit Dice or something along those lines.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: April 07, 2020, 06:30:44 pm »

You can still stabilize as long as you have healer's kit uses though, and unless you can heal a lot, bringing back people from 0 is the most important healing thing in combat.
Ideally the players shouldn't always have the option of long resting after each and every fight. Though that might make things way too hard if medkits are 1/long rest. Maybe you could make it cost Hit Dice or something along those lines.
Uh... Do you mean they shouldn't have the option of short resting after each fight?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:44:38 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: April 07, 2020, 06:42:06 pm »

Is the healer perk short rest or long rest? A short rest would be more reasonable to lean on in a game without magical healers.
Oh right, you can't do it to the same person before they rest again, right? I was thinking that it was the healer can only do it once and then they have to rest again to use it on anyone else. That makes more sense. I could even see you getting by with one healer and recharging it with a long rest in that case.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: April 07, 2020, 07:45:33 pm »

Its any rest, short or long, on the person who got the healing.
Sigtext

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: April 07, 2020, 10:41:43 pm »

I named my animal companion Swiftfoot, despite being a bird.

A bird.

Named Swiftfoot.

It was a bit of a snap decision at the end of the session, there are other options that might have been more interesting but I figured at the time that a flying creature would have the most utility. I didn't want to pick something so cliche, but the subset of animal companions available to a ranger is almost all cliches. No giant termites or sniper cactus for me.

I'm sure I'll grow to love him, once I have the required in-character downtime to teach him the tricks he's actually capable of.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: April 08, 2020, 01:43:52 am »

Having a giant termite for an animal companion sounds like a great way to find yourself a solo adventurer ;)
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: April 08, 2020, 07:23:30 am »

Having a giant termite for an animal companion sounds like a great way to find yourself a solo adventurer ;)

Yeah. We want a giant tick, or something.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: April 08, 2020, 07:34:09 am »

Also I don't see anything wrong with the silly name at all, lots of birds are swiftfooted. Swiftfeeted? Sweeftfeeteed?
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: April 08, 2020, 07:59:30 am »

Or you're just very likely to kick the thing if it misbehaves.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: April 08, 2020, 10:54:25 am »

No giant termites or sniper cactus for me.
But you could have a sniper wolf!  Or a decoy octopus - well, squid.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 622