Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 835470 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7905 on: April 21, 2020, 06:35:10 pm »

What's a light game between Lasers and Feelings and DnD? I'm planning to introduce gaming to my girlfriend, and think a ruleset between those two would be ideal.

Dungeon World, maybe?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: April 21, 2020, 09:33:47 pm »

The movie discussion thread has given me the terrible idea to have a series of NPC hackers in the same way Spinal Tap had a series of drummers.
Augmented Reality should help you with that, in addition to most other cyberpunk random table related needs you might have.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: April 21, 2020, 09:42:14 pm »

What's a light game between Lasers and Feelings and DnD? I'm planning to introduce gaming to my girlfriend, and think a ruleset between those two would be ideal.

Dungeon World, maybe?

Like, most of them? For a game that claims to be rules-light, the newest edition of D&D has the most pages of rules of any edition of D&D (and significantly more, considering you need a 3.x book for half of the rules that are referenced but never written down), and the other fits on a notecard.

It's probably easiest to start with where her interests lie, and find a game like that. Much easier to get into roleplaying when your imagination is already engaged. Fantasy? Space? Heists? Knock-off X-men?

Gloomhaven or something similar might work if the storytelling part is difficult.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: April 22, 2020, 03:10:40 am »

I'm always interested in new adventure ideas, and sometimes I draw on other game media to give me inspiration. Battle Royale style shooters, for example, work great for a campaign with a hex grid exploration map component, where the 'storm' circle might be anything from a literal storm to an invading army.

Also, dungeon design. As someone who homebrews a lot of content, making interesting maps is hard! Especially when working with a 2D surface and whiteboard markers. For all its faults, one of the things I admire about Bethesda is their map design teams. Some of the locations in Fallout 4, suitably reskinned, would be awesome as a dungeon map. They use a lot of vertical space and layering of features to accomplish a lot within their levels. The real difficulty is translating this into a 2D surface.

Honestly, I've been tempted during all the lockdowns to start an arts and crafts project to build 3D tactical maps for my games. With cardboard, paint and glue, the possibilities are endless. Trouble being I work in healthcare so free time is at a premium, and I don't really have a workspace to start my hobby.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: April 22, 2020, 11:27:26 am »

Also, dungeon design. As someone who homebrews a lot of content, making interesting maps is hard! Especially when working with a 2D surface and whiteboard markers. For all its faults, one of the things I admire about Bethesda is their map design teams. Some of the locations in Fallout 4, suitably reskinned, would be awesome as a dungeon map. They use a lot of vertical space and layering of features to accomplish a lot within their levels. The real difficulty is translating this into a 2D surface.

You could try popping a classic Doom level into an editor like Doombuilder.  Doom levels are basically 2D floor plans extruded into 3D anyways.  Doom levels are pretty abstract, though.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: April 22, 2020, 01:10:49 pm »

Yeah my understanding is that the engine doesn't support overhangs, so Doom levels map very well to a 2D map.  Even when they simulate multiple floors using teleporters, the floors are actually alongside each other map-style.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: April 22, 2020, 02:23:20 pm »

The one who programs their ingame map drawer don't seem to think it was any hard ;)
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: April 22, 2020, 03:46:43 pm »

I'm thinking back to the way they implemented the skill system in 3rd edition, and the range of DCs for Diplomacy, for example, was 1-50. That's way into the realm of "you must be this tall to ride."

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: April 22, 2020, 06:53:41 pm »

It's probably easiest to start with where her interests lie, and find a game like that. Much easier to get into roleplaying when your imagination is already engaged. Fantasy? Space? Heists? Knock-off X-men?

Gloomhaven or something similar might work if the storytelling part is difficult.

Fair, DnD seems simple to me since I've played it so long, but yeah, it's not really a stream lined system. Interest is Indiana Jones/Lara Croft style tomb raiding, which luckily can fit in almost any setting. Rules need to be pretty light as A. She's pregnant and uninterested in any mentally taxing work right now, and B. She's played exactly two video games and almost zero board games.

I'll keep looking around.

I'm thinking back to the way they implemented the skill system in 3rd edition, and the range of DCs for Diplomacy, for example, was 1-50. That's way into the realm of "you must be this tall to ride."

Skills being more general in 5e was what actually brought me around to it. I love Shadowrun's list of 50 specific skills, but in 3.x DnD, the limits on skills seemed to discourage wider role play and encourage fighting. But we played woth a rule from some book that was "if you don't have skills in it, you can't roll it."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: April 22, 2020, 07:06:56 pm »

The Diplomacy skill is quite OP RAW, particularly if you're using the Book of Exalted Deeds recommendations about full XP for negotiating a combat.  As the creator of Order Of The Stick points out, it's essentially an uncontested and unmodified mind control roll in most situations.

My first DND character was a diplomacy-focused druid using Book of Exalted Deeds, notably Vow of Poverty.  While I wasn't allowed to dodge most fights (often due to the threats being undead) I did manage to talk my way out of a few notable conflicts intended for my character.  To the chagrin of my party, sometimes.  I walked away from obvious boss fights that we absolutely would have won, hoping that I left a good impression on the villains key to my backstory.  They didn't generally change, but I liked to think they would.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7915 on: April 22, 2020, 08:27:24 pm »

Currently I'm designing a dungeon full of incredibly lethal things that will kill you if you try to fight them, but are otherwise nullified/bypassed/exploited with the right foresight. Right now I've got basic stuff like floor lava and a monster that will always shuffle towards you but will otherwise never run, as well as two undead soldiers who can be convinced you are their superior officer with the right uniform & performance. What else are some fun dungeon ideas that would be fun to beat as a player? I'm thinking things like a sphynx, where yeah you can fight them, or you can solve their riddles

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: April 22, 2020, 08:48:39 pm »

Far Realm anthropologists who are very bad at hiding due to visual spectrum differences but will be increasingly upset if the party acknowledges they can see them.

Haunted statues who eat failed skill checks in their presence, becoming more animate and akin to the party as they feed. Place these in inconvenient areas to encourage skill checks. They are jealous of the party's softness, which as statues they can never imitate.

There's a pit fiend here, but he's on vacation. He acts exactly like how you'd think a lawful evil tourist would. Colorful fireproof shirts.

The most annoying puzzle of all time, the Towers of Hanoi. This one is too large to be realistically finished before the heat death of the universe, but don't tell the party that. They're actually supposed to just open the door, which is incredibly imposing and made of solid steel but unlocked.

Meta-monster inside the dungeon wall space, doesn't like the players rather than the characters and inflicts confusion or stun on characters to separate them from the players if encountered. Uses this time to reseal the wall.

Libertarian vampires who are compelled not to violate the NAP and thus try to contract the party's blood, or else provoke them into violating the NAP first. Believe strongly in the right to bear arms and as such are heavily armed and armored, which they lose if they turn into a bat or mist.

Dozens of normal cows enchanted to be invisible except to each other, kept in a large underground barn. The bulls have an average amount of aggression. One of the cows is a stunningly perfect cow, just real instant prizewinner-tier, if you could see it.

An ornate treasure room with a permanent Heat Metal spell on it and no ventilation, just below the melting point of gold.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: April 22, 2020, 09:04:22 pm »

Yeah my understanding is that the engine doesn't support overhangs, so Doom levels map very well to a 2D map.  Even when they simulate multiple floors using teleporters, the floors are actually alongside each other map-style.

That's pretty much how it works.  In the editor, Doombuilder, you basically draw out shapes for rooms and doors, and then give the shapes properties for floor and ceiling height, and textures and lighting.  Its basically what the player sees in the automap screen.  I'd say the only issue directly putting it to DnD grid is that doors and such have thickness (they are just small rooms really) and so you'd have to adapt them to better fit a grid.

Janky bridges are possible in the doom engine, like Plutonia map02, or the mods Hell Revealed 1 or 2.  I don't know exactly how they work, but generally monsters can't interact with the bridge.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7918 on: April 23, 2020, 05:14:13 am »

Far Realm anthropologists who are very bad at hiding due to visual spectrum differences but will be increasingly upset if the party acknowledges they can see them.

Haunted statues who eat failed skill checks in their presence, becoming more animate and akin to the party as they feed. Place these in inconvenient areas to encourage skill checks. They are jealous of the party's softness, which as statues they can never imitate.

There's a pit fiend here, but he's on vacation. He acts exactly like how you'd think a lawful evil tourist would. Colorful fireproof shirts.

The most annoying puzzle of all time, the Towers of Hanoi. This one is too large to be realistically finished before the heat death of the universe, but don't tell the party that. They're actually supposed to just open the door, which is incredibly imposing and made of solid steel but unlocked.

Meta-monster inside the dungeon wall space, doesn't like the players rather than the characters and inflicts confusion or stun on characters to separate them from the players if encountered. Uses this time to reseal the wall.

Libertarian vampires who are compelled not to violate the NAP and thus try to contract the party's blood, or else provoke them into violating the NAP first. Believe strongly in the right to bear arms and as such are heavily armed and armored, which they lose if they turn into a bat or mist.

Dozens of normal cows enchanted to be invisible except to each other, kept in a large underground barn. The bulls have an average amount of aggression. One of the cows is a stunningly perfect cow, just real instant prizewinner-tier, if you could see it.

An ornate treasure room with a permanent Heat Metal spell on it and no ventilation, just below the melting point of gold.
Those are all absolutely amazing

*EDIT
This libertarian vampire is going to become a recurring shopkeeper, he's just so perfect. Currently he'll sell high-value weapons if party members can provide ID & blood, and they also have a bunch of other quest related or novel items like a jar of dirt with a lich's heart in it, or an incredibly aggressive monarch butterfly that whispers wisdom/death threats in your ear, enchanted coffee beans, a magic 8 ball and the invisible cow herd

*EDITx2
Also added a basilisk that is wearing a gigantic pair of sunglasses. Mostly harmless, it will however block passage though the hallway unless the adventurers are brave enough to remove a bone stuck in its gums
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:16:17 am by Loud Whispers »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: April 23, 2020, 06:35:24 am »

Currently I'm designing a dungeon full of incredibly lethal things that will kill you if you try to fight them, but are otherwise nullified/bypassed/exploited with the right foresight. Right now I've got basic stuff like floor lava and a monster that will always shuffle towards you but will otherwise never run, as well as two undead soldiers who can be convinced you are their superior officer with the right uniform & performance. What else are some fun dungeon ideas that would be fun to beat as a player? I'm thinking things like a sphynx, where yeah you can fight them, or you can solve their riddles
The Sensorium of Exquisite Experiences tests your five senses (taste, sight, touch, smell and sound) to bypass a barrier leading to their treasure hoard. (Imagine a sphere of darkness and silence where you have to unlock a lock by touch, or putting disgusting objects into your mouth to taste them and see if they match the opposite object. Creative skill or ability checks or saving throws might be required to pass the test.)

The altar of the Golden Emperor lies within a small shrine. Living creatures on the altar have their flesh transformed into solid gold. The effect wears off 8 hours after being removed from the altar or being removed from the shrine. The altar currently has a solid gold statue of (insert dangerous creature) on top. Treat damage to gold statues as per the Stone to Flesh spell.

An underground gnome village have developed a unique means of defending their home. At the heart of the village lies an artifact that transforms all creatures into living hollow terracotta replicas of themselves when within its borders. Aggressive outsiders are quickly smashed to pieces by clever traps. The gnomes are peace-loving, and have developed their home into a beautiful underground garden.

The workshop of Jymbro the muscle wizard houses a range of large, arcane torture tools. It's said those who can correctly endure their use may gain temporary boons to their abilities, though for most trying them, it merely ends in sweat, pain, tears and low self-esteem.

Honest Relaet's Curse Free Magic Item Dungeon Shoppe! (No Refunds)

Cursed magic melee weapon. Becomes 1 lbs heavier each time you attack with it, can't be removed when wielded without a Remove Curse or sacrificing an equal weight in flesh (lower maximum hp per lb sacrificed until restored via GM's means of choice such as Restoration or Regenerate spell).

Cursed magic ranged weapon. After first being fired, the wielder is rendered permanently blind unless cured with a Remove Blindness or Remove Curse spell. Their sight returns when the weapon is loaded with ammunition, but from the perspective of the ammunition instead. Once an attack is resolved or if the weapon's ammunition is removed from contact with the weapon, their blindness returns.

Cursed magic wand. After 24 hours in user's possession, wand comes alive and burrows into their body. Unless removed with a Remove Curse or invasive surgery, each time the victim casts a spell, there's a 50% chance of them casting the wand's spell at their target instead, strengthening enemies or harming allies as appropriate. The wand drains the host to maintain its magic, inflicting hit point damage equal to the caster level of the wand's spell when activated.

Cursed magic armor. Consumes user's life force when equipped. Each day the wearer ages one year older. May cause age category advancement and appropriate changes to stats depending on racial average lifespans. Can only be removed using Remove Curse or by sacrificing the life of a young humanoid creature and applying their lifeblood to the armor before removing.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 622