Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 834601 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8145 on: June 16, 2020, 01:38:55 pm »

A doomsday cult plans to destroy the universe. Their chosen method? Heat death. In truth, they're just a gang of slackers who gather weekly for a 'sermon' that mostly involves watching a movie, playing video games or another sedentary activity.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: June 16, 2020, 02:09:20 pm »

Does

Does stopping them stop the heat death of the universe?
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8147 on: June 16, 2020, 06:15:35 pm »

Does

Does stopping them stop the heat death of the universe?
Yes, but then you have to deal with the big rip cultists

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: June 16, 2020, 06:37:28 pm »

I'm now imagining this "create cultists to justify the security bureau" scenario going so far and the engineered cultists so harmless that they end up arming them with an actual fucking doomsday device and panicking.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: June 16, 2020, 07:10:33 pm »

A doomsday cult plans to destroy the universe. Their chosen method? Heat death. In truth, they're just a gang of slackers who gather weekly for a 'sermon' that mostly involves watching a movie, playing video games or another sedentary activity.
Ah, so this is where demon cults come from.  I always wondered.
(As opposed to devil cultists who are evil go-getters with plans)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8150 on: June 16, 2020, 07:24:39 pm »

I'm now imagining this "create cultists to justify the security bureau" scenario going so far and the engineered cultists so harmless that they end up arming them with an actual fucking doomsday device and panicking.
Reminds me of how in the UK, we used to have these special branches of undercover police whose jobs it was to infiltrate extreme groups which had the potential to destabilize government or hatch terrorist plots. The problem was, these undercover police officers were selected from amongst some of the best police, being highly trained and highly motivated. Thus once they infiltrated the gangs, groups and organisations, it wouldn't be long before they were put in leadership, administrative and logistical roles - where undercover police often complained their effective skillset was being used to make the group way more effective and threatening than if they had just been left alone.

Also the really good film Jin Roh Wolf Brigade, which spoiler alert: you later find out that the terrorists
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: June 21, 2020, 01:05:13 am »

Related to that Asian set campaign.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: June 21, 2020, 06:05:47 am »

I absolutely love that, thanks for sharing

Also I see you, wangland
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: June 21, 2020, 06:54:50 am »

Yeetlight is pretty strong too.

Oh my goodley freend, ye do miss the days when me lived on Kinbright. Presently near Eastrush does suit me kindly, but me long for the mountains and the clouds of the town before. Long past forgotten are myne times and myne troubles in Deepfurrow and Feywelken, though fondly remembered some times there may be.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8154 on: June 21, 2020, 07:55:46 am »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: June 21, 2020, 08:17:16 am »

The mysterious Ex Machina cult consists of chaos magicians and computer scientists and plans to derive the properties of a reality containing an omnipotent being and then plug those parameters into a high fidelity simulation.  Said entity, being omnipotent, can then exit the simulation and enter the real world.  They assume it will be friendly to its creators.

The unconventional hazard response team investigated them and decided to leave them alone.  Omnipotent beings don't respect linear causality, so if their goal was even theoretically achievable the god would already be here.  Since it's not, the cult is harmless.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: June 21, 2020, 08:37:38 am »

Thothaven!
Love, scriver~

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: June 25, 2020, 01:52:03 pm »

I was reading this Imgur album when a terrible idea struck me.

What if you had a D&D campaign that only permitted third party content?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8158 on: June 25, 2020, 02:17:35 pm »

You, a power ranger, a teletubby barbarian and a choclomancer called Willy enter a bar

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: June 27, 2020, 07:36:17 am »

Scuse me, don't mind me, just-- Pardon me, I'm

Hexblade 1/Fighter 2/Assassin 3/Sorcerer 14

Sorcerer bloodline is a bit up to taste, since there's some good tactical potential with Shadow but any particularly fancy damage shit is UA. For the sake of this demonstration, we'll be assuming Dragon (fire) for the sake of an extra 10 damage.

Splitting stats three ways and going for an Evoker would've been sweet, but unfortunately Overchannel doesn't work on spells cast above level 5...

Yadda yadda advantage/autocrit/hexcurse... We're assuming getting initiative/surprise on an enemy for the sake of this damage calculation. We're also going to assume that, with advantage and whatever, we're hitting every attack (slight stretch, even with Halfling, but makes things much simpler).

Round 1:
Hexblade Curse
8 Scorching Rays (one instance of +5 damage from bloodline)
Action Surge
7 Scorching Rays (one instance of +5 damage from bloodline)

15 rays total, at 2d6 damage per ray. Every hit is a critical, so 4d6 per ray. +6 from curse.

60d6+90+5+5. Average of 210 +100, maximum of 360 +100.

Average will of course get skewed by Empowered Spell metamagic, Elemental Adept etc.

Now, a Paladin mix will still be able to reach noticeably higher maximums, but the average and consistent damage from this surprise burn build will actually be higher unless it's a fiendish or undead opponent. It's also got a drastically higher minimum damage.

Of course, neither can get even remotely close to a Twilight Druid magic missile build, but that's UA  :P
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 622