Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 835518 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8505 on: December 16, 2020, 12:15:35 pm »

Actually yeah, 3.5e has rules for this!  You can take 10 on actions when you aren't distracted or threatened, and it doesn't even take more time.  It's perfect for situations where your modifiers are good enough that you don't need a great roll.

Taking 20 takes 2 minutes for full-round actions, codifying that you can totally keep trying most (obviously not all) skill checks.  It suggests that it does work for escape artist, open lock, and search.

Looks like that was all dropped for 5e  :(
5e does have taking 10 for Passive checks, the issue there is people like to roll dice and forget passive checks exist for stuff that's not Perception.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: December 16, 2020, 12:19:07 pm »

If anybody here manages to get their hands on a copy of Cyberpunk RED, I'd be interested in hearing an in-depth review.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: December 16, 2020, 12:56:23 pm »

If anybody here manages to get their hands on a copy of Cyberpunk RED, I'd be interested in hearing an in-depth review.

There's a thread on it in other games.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: December 16, 2020, 01:01:55 pm »

a perfect score of 5/7
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: December 16, 2020, 01:13:15 pm »

There's a thread on it in other games.
Not interested in the seizure simulator, just the tabletop which is apparently deeply sold out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: December 16, 2020, 04:48:18 pm »

Actually yeah, 3.5e has rules for this!  You can take 10 on actions when you aren't distracted or threatened, and it doesn't even take more time.  It's perfect for situations where your modifiers are good enough that you don't need a great roll.

Taking 20 takes 2 minutes for full-round actions, codifying that you can totally keep trying most (obviously not all) skill checks.  It suggests that it does work for escape artist, open lock, and search.

Looks like that was all dropped for 5e  :(
5e does have taking 10 for Passive checks, the issue there is people like to roll dice and forget passive checks exist for stuff that's not Perception.

That, and there's the bit about Passive Perception check DCs being placed about 5 points higher than what the active check DC would be, hence why Observant gives as large a bonus it does (but what the fuck even is passive investigation?)

But yeah, taking 10 is a thing I'd like to see more of vis a vis 5e... Or at least something along those lines, such as requiring proficiency/expertise with particular tools to be allowed to do "X" outright, without a roll, rather than just making proficiency a thing that gives you a very slightly higher chance of rolling to do the thing that apparently anyone can do.

3.5 may have been a bit of a clusterfuck, but I do appreciate some of the things it did with skills.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: December 16, 2020, 09:01:38 pm »

But yeah, taking 10 is a thing I'd like to see more of vis a vis 5e... Or at least something along those lines, such as requiring proficiency/expertise with particular tools to be allowed to do "X" outright, without a roll, rather than just making proficiency a thing that gives you a very slightly higher chance of rolling to do the thing that apparently anyone can do.

3.5 may have been a bit of a clusterfuck, but I do appreciate some of the things it did with skills.

Every edition was a clusterfuck in a completely new and interesting way. Although the skills are mostly ripped off Earthdawn, except with a finite RNG, which doesn't always work. Especially with things like diplomacy where the minimum and maximum are 50 or so apart, and the entire RNG is 20.

Taking 10 was a very good idea, though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: December 17, 2020, 11:50:11 am »

d20 in general I'm not a huge fan of, extremely swingy.  I like dice pools, or just 2d6 systems, where things follow a more bell-curve distribution
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: December 27, 2020, 08:35:43 am »

d20 in general I'm not a huge fan of, extremely swingy.  I like dice pools, or just 2d6 systems, where things follow a more bell-curve distribution

I feel that. Heck, I've even had fun with d100 systems like WFRP, which while still being a very swingy system at least doesn't have quite so much "10% chance to ignore all the modifying statistics on accuracy".

In other news, I've been picking up bits and pieces from Tasha's, and as with everyone else I'm looking for funky little interactions. One thing I'm noticing is the Investment of the Chain Master invocation for Warlocks. So, at the moment, that seems to basically just mean "oh hey, Sprite/Quasit/Pseudodragon poisons with slightly better DCs!"; as it would unfortunately appear that things like the Raven's mimicry and the Octopus' grappling are more contested ability checks than saving throws, and therefore aren't improved by it. Sadface.

Eldritch Adept does open up a lot of stuff though. Misty Visions for Illusionists, Mask of Many Faces for Bards (as if they didn't already get up to enough shenanigans as-is). Heck, there are even some peculiar interactions with the cast-at-will invocations and stuff like Storm Sorcerer. Because the Storm Sorcerer's gust of 10' movement can be activated immediately before or after you "cast a spell of 1st level or higher". Since this specifically refers to the spell level and not the spell slot level, it should be usable.

Armor of Shadows + Abjurer is thus now an even cheesier method of recharging the arcane ward than casting Alarm as a ritual.

Thief of Five Fates is just a bit broken though... Taking it through Eldritch Adept, if you're not a Warlock, means you have successfully burned a feat on absolutely nothing. But by RAW, it's still one of the invocations you can pick up through that feat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8514 on: December 27, 2020, 02:41:08 pm »

What do you mean by thief of five fates?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: December 27, 2020, 03:16:35 pm »

What do you mean by thief of five fates?

The Warlock invocation, not any sort of class thingy... Sorry, was running on a bit of a schedule when I wrote that, didn't clean up the formatting much ::)

Quote from: Warlock invocations
Thief of Five Fates

You can cast Bane once using a warlock spell slot. You can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

Which, since it doesn't have any listed prerequisites, is technically viable as a pick for non-Warlocks taking the Eldritch Adept feat. ...which is problematic, since they won't have Warlock spell slots to actually cast it with. So unless you do eventually end up taking Warlock levels, it's... Utterly useless.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8516 on: December 27, 2020, 03:39:36 pm »

Isn't that a bit like a multiclass wizard/any spellcaster being able to record spells they have spell slots for, but being unable to cast any of them if it doesn't have wizard spell slots to prepare them? Kinda amusing to have these sorts of things.

"I made a pact with the devil to cast magic but the devil don't give me slots"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: December 27, 2020, 03:53:15 pm »

Isn't that a bit like a multiclass wizard/any spellcaster being able to record spells they have spell slots for, but being unable to cast any of them if it doesn't have wizard spell slots to prepare them?

That one at least did get errata'd, so now you're only allowed to scribe spells you can actually prepare. Hence why the big fiery Magic Missile wombo combo I wrote about earlier (that I've now actually found multiple other people going on about in munchkin circles) doesn't work per the rules...

But this particular invocation does confuse me a bit. While there are several choices and feats that can be said to be functionally worthless, there usually aren't character choices a player can make that are universally null. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something and they made some tweaks I haven't read about yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: December 27, 2020, 04:09:56 pm »

On the other hand, that is an extremely devil-dealish kind of premise. "Oh, you totally get the power to cast Bane once a aday *wink wink*"
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: December 27, 2020, 04:45:04 pm »

I don't really see it as anything different from the fact that there's nothing stopping you generally from taking proficiency in a skill you already have, other than common sense. For instance you could take the Skilled feat and pick three skills you're already proficient in, and absolutely nothing would prevent you from doing that.

With Thief of Beguiling Fate, its useless without warlock levels, but at least you can always multiclass into warlock later if you want to make use of it. And its not like there's plenty of other options to take.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 622