Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 834430 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8685 on: June 26, 2021, 07:22:14 am »

Got more of my setting notes I want to bounce off people. This time focusing on gods and spirits.

To start with there's Yahg the Primordial and the demons.
Two demon mothers were squabbling over a human child, when they were brought before the demon Yaghannic King.
'What is the problem?' The Demon King asked.
'The child is mine, but she has claimed it too!' One demon said.
'No, the child is mine, but she has claimed it too!' The other demon said.
The demon Yaghannic King had a clever plan. He would suggest splitting the child in half and dividing it equally between them; the mother that accepted this proposal was not the mother, the one that rejected it was.
'I suggest we split the child in half, so that you may each both claim one half.'
'Yes!' Said one.
'Yes! Said the other.
The demon Yaghannic King concluded then that he did not understand Erosian demons very well at all.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: June 26, 2021, 10:18:30 am »

I really like the concept of the Witch Gods. The other stuff is good too but especially those.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8687 on: June 27, 2021, 05:24:18 pm »

I really like the concept of the Witch Gods. The other stuff is good too but especially those.
I wonder if you could find some community where they aren't considered malevolent and people practice socially sanctioned or even endorsed sacrifice. Whether sacrifice of enemies/slaves like the Aztecs or voluntary matyrdom sacrifice like the Roman Christians

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: June 27, 2021, 06:04:15 pm »

I wonder if you could find some community where they aren't considered malevolent and people practice socially sanctioned or even endorsed sacrifice. Whether sacrifice of enemies/slaves like the Aztecs or voluntary matyrdom sacrifice like the Roman Christians

Funnily enough my plan is for the Dwarves of the Black Lands that I mentioned back when discussing the dwarves to worship a collection of the Witch Gods who collectively taught magic related to magical defense, warding, travel and other things helpful for surviving the time they spent in a volcanic wasteland before their lands recovered. The other dwarves view these gods as bad, but to the BL Dwarves they are literally their saviours. Some of these gods like human (or dwarven) sacrifice, some are more chill, but the BL Dwarves have a culture that embraces them happily and has done so for a long time, especially now that their lands are fertile and lush again after being fertilized with copious amounts of volcanic ash and having centuries to recover.

If I ever get around to fleshing out the bits of the Aurogentum Empire I don't plan to use much I do have vague ideas that some Witch Gods are sanctioned as minor provincial faiths. If a culture worshipped one or more Witch Gods and then got conquered and became a potentially powerful province it wasn't necessarily possible to stamp out their religion, so some of the stronger ones just got given legal sanction. The imperial rationale given to the witch hunters, army and state church is that it's clearly not a Witch God that the new province worship, because if it was a Witch God we'd have vanquished this perfidious cult.

I do have some thoughts that the King in the River, leader of the Vallic religion is actually an angel who reveres Caer-Dunn over any other creator god, and that some factions of the faith of Caer-Dunn in Valland incorporate some of the more chill Witch Gods, shapeshifting, healing and nature magic oriented ones, because the faith considers some of them to be powerful servants of Caer-Dunn. So some Vallic subcultures have werewolf cults and nature wizards and so on among them, and some of them just know some magic because their faith doesn't demonise the knowledge the Witch Gods taught.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8689 on: June 30, 2021, 07:15:57 am »

Sounds absolutely D R U I D I C

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: July 03, 2021, 10:00:34 am »

So continuing on from my last post, I figure I might as well put my ideas for specific Witch Gods down in writing, starting with the triumvirate that are the chief gods of the Black Lands Dwarves. The gods all have physical bodies, for a given value of physical, but they aren't always found in the same place even if they shouldn't be capable of moving, nor do they extend out of the particular location they've chosen to be in even if that is contradictory with how they look from inside the location. Easiest way to think of it is that they all have a bubble of reality that conforms to their nature around them which blends more or less seamlessly with the natural world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now for some more random ones.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wound up writing more than I planned to, so I've put them in spoilers. Weirdly I find it much easier to write setting stuff when writing it to people than I do when writing it for my own notes.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8691 on: July 06, 2021, 01:29:29 pm »

You're probably one of the personality types that really enjoys corresponding with others as a kind of "drawing board." I certainly enjoy coming up with new ideas by throwing them at other people and seeing what they notice or respond with

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: July 10, 2021, 01:34:46 pm »

Stupid idea, which has almost certainly been done before: Boblins.

They're like any other goblins, but they all have the same name and face. Men, women, children, babies and the elderly. All Bob.

The Boblins don't see anything strange about this, they all recognise each other fine despite sharing names and faces and find it odd that other people can't tell them apart easily. When asked why they're called Bob they give banal answers like 'well I'm named after my granddad, Bob.' When asked why they're all called Bob they just chalk it up as a funny coincidence. When asked where they came from they give the same origin story as any normal group of Goblins would.

Goblins are no better at telling Boblins apart than any other creature is. When a Boblin and a Goblin have children, the resulting babies inherit the Bob-face and grow to favour the name Bob. In essence, they become indistinguishable from a Boblin born to a community of their own kind. Over sufficient time this causes entire tribes to become Boblins unless they, incredibly frustrated by the whole affair, decide to murder all the Boblins among them.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: July 10, 2021, 02:40:44 pm »

What's the opposite of Dungeons & Dragons? "Friendly environment and Even Enemy?"
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: July 10, 2021, 03:16:03 pm »

What's the opposite of Dungeons & Dragons? "Friendly environment and Even Enemy?"

Offices and Paperwork

Could do a pokemon running gag and have all taverns be run by an extended family of identical bobs.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: July 10, 2021, 05:38:44 pm »

Could do a pokemon running gag and have all taverns be run by an extended family of identical bobs.

I think the entire world would burn down the taverns rather than deal with a population of Boblins anywhere near them.

I imagine boblins, being really annoying for non-boblins to communicate with, are mostly found in the standard sort of stone-age hunter gatherer camp type settlements out in the deep wilderness, having been driven away by settled races for being goblins, and then being driven even further away by other goblins for being boblins.

EDIT: On a more serious note, I have an idea for an alternate magic item system that I need to flesh out, but I'd like to bounce the basic idea off people here.

So the gist of the idea is that all magic items must incorporate items with attuned or associated with magic, with the type of objects added determining what powers the item can have. I'm thinking all items get 3 slots, and different ingredients attune the item to one or more lists of powers the item can have. Some powers are limited to items with 2 or 3 attunements of the same type. So you can make a sword with lvl1 water, fire and poison powers, or you can make a sword with lvl1 water and fire powers, and a lvl2 fire power, or a weapon with a lvl1,2 and 3 fire power. Higher level powers would probably be quirky more than outright powerful in a bigger numbers sense.

For the ingredients themselves I'm thinking various monster parts like manticore tails or dragon's teeth, items you'd see in folkloric magic like teeth and nails and hanging rope, stuff associated with higher grade mythical stuff like blood iron, meteorite iron, the shadow of a mountain and so on.

So for a specific weapon idea, a bow made of wood from a tree that grows in a graveyard, with the hair of a murdered man's widow and the fibres of a rope used for hanging someone spun into the bowstring. The resulting item would be attuned to Death magic, with powers drawn from options to do with fighting the undead, slaying mortals, animating the dead, so on and so forth.

Alternatively, a sword made from iron taken from smelted church icons, quenched in holy water and with a sapphire set into the hilt would draw on water and holy themed magic.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 04:49:50 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: July 12, 2021, 09:46:13 am »

On a more serious note, I have an idea for an alternate magic item system that I need to flesh out, but I'd like to bounce the basic idea off people here.

So the gist of the idea is that all magic items must incorporate items with attuned or associated with magic, with the type of objects added determining what powers the item can have. I'm thinking all items get 3 slots, and different ingredients attune the item to one or more lists of powers the item can have. Some powers are limited to items with 2 or 3 attunements of the same type. So you can make a sword with lvl1 water, fire and poison powers, or you can make a sword with lvl1 water and fire powers, and a lvl2 fire power, or a weapon with a lvl1,2 and 3 fire power. Higher level powers would probably be quirky more than outright powerful in a bigger numbers sense.

For the ingredients themselves I'm thinking various monster parts like manticore tails or dragon's teeth, items you'd see in folkloric magic like teeth and nails and hanging rope, stuff associated with higher grade mythical stuff like blood iron, meteorite iron, the shadow of a mountain and so on.

So for a specific weapon idea, a bow made of wood from a tree that grows in a graveyard, with the hair of a murdered man's widow and the fibres of a rope used for hanging someone spun into the bowstring. The resulting item would be attuned to Death magic, with powers drawn from options to do with fighting the undead, slaying mortals, animating the dead, so on and so forth.

Alternatively, a sword made from iron taken from smelted church icons, quenched in holy water and with a sapphire set into the hilt would draw on water and holy themed magic.
I've just looked over the posts you've made for your setting, and I rather liked them. Your approach to avoiding DnD tropes does remind me of Glorantha. The ritual suicide of Elves is kinda like a worse version of Dragonnewts.

Though if all magic stems from the Witch Gods, it would be fitting that the creation of magical artifacts and items would stem from their rituals and practices. Like a Quest-based system for making magical items, where a bow of death magic requires one to perform some service such as returning a rogue banshee to the servitude of a Witch God, who would pluck a hair of the banshee and use it as the bowstring. Or a holy sword needing to be blessed by a hallowed spring that has been defiled, and you must hunt down the perpetrators to restore it and bless the sword. A concern of mine with getting miscellaneous items to craft a magic item would be taking the players out of the setting and then collecting/hoarding whatever odd crap to craft magic items. But I suppose that depends on the players and you, who might find it engaging to experiment with that stuff. Or maybe there could be something more to the process of crafting, like treating the wood of the death bow in the blood of an elder troll after you assemble all the magic parts. Then maybe how the Troll was killed or the blood was acquired could influence the exact effect of the item (a stealthy assassination might give it powers during the night or in the shadows).
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: July 12, 2021, 01:22:39 pm »

I was thinking I might go down the route that not all attempts to make a magic item work, or at least not properly, when made by mortals. Items can turn out only slightly magical, or entirely unmagical, with the quality of the materials used and the skills of the craftsman having an effect on if you get a mere +1 generic item, or an item worthy of fame and reknown.

Various eldritch beings and some demons would be able to make things using their own uncanny nature, so a demon can make items infused with their non-mortal essence, and the Witch Gods and their more powerful servants can make things with their eldritch essence. Would need to sit and work out what Demonic and Eldritch item powers would look like. I'm thinking that 3 levels of 5 powers each should be plenty of options for stuff, but actually sitting down and working out powers and then doing the math to balance them will be a bit of a chore. Especially since some damage types are way better than others, so a poison/disease powerset will need a lot of stuff to make it useful compared to a necrotic or radiant themed one.

On a similar note to conventional magic items, I plan to incorporate rules for flesh-grafting and flesh-crafting, the former being the addition of new parts to living creatures, the latter being the fusion of multiple organic beings into one creature. The 'forbidden art' has no clear origin, but is generally believed to have come from ancient worshippers of the Witch Gods who blasphemed against their own deities by cavorting with demons and combining the dark knowledge of each in a perverse form of magic and surgery. Both practices of the art are illegal among almost all societies with specific exemptions, due to the often horrifying nature of the process. Basic prerequisites in 5e would be proficiency in Medicine, Arcana, Alchemist's Supplies, and/or a copy of some instructional text, preferably all four.

Flesh-grafts are used as emergency life saving procedures, to replace missing body parts or to augment soldiers by morally dubious lords. Grafts often fail, the attached or inserted flesh being rejected by the host and rotting inside them, usually leading to death by sepsis. When it works it can do great good, but more often wreaks horror. Grafters are back alley surgeons, often doctors driven to desperation by the loss of patients or academics with a morbid fascination with the forbidden art. Such practicioners are often lax in proper medical or magical practices, the grafter has little to lose and the patient is usually in dire need of any possible help and will overlook dirty instruments or dubious locations of business. Successful grafters have generally perfected their art by leaving a trail of mutilated corpses in their wake as they evade the law, usually eventually finding a powerful patron to serve in secret or finding a place among outlaws and the dregs of society.

Inspired by the Slith from Grim Dawn, flesh-crafting works best on young specimens. Mature subjects more often reject the melding of their flesh with another, and subjects composed solely of animal tissue struggle to adapt to their new anatomy. As such the few secretive practicitioners who have found copies of the fragmentary documents that detailed the creation of the first trolls turned to the use of humanoid children and young animals, a process far more likely to succeed in a successful melding. Fleshcrafted beings are almost always beastmen, perverse combinations of human and animal anatomy, with stunted mental development and chronic pain and health conditions. These unfortunate beings are occasionally able to breed true, becoming a self-propogating race of misshapen and miserable creatures. Save the creator of the orcs and goblins no one has ever managed to imitate the pinnacle of the flesh-crafter's art, the trolls, for the faiths of various gods deemed flesh-crafting an abominable act of heresy and sought to scour the knowledge of it from existence. Fragmentary texts, poorly transcribed and poorly translated are the only documents that detail the original practice in any measure, though some flesh-crafters have written their own treatises to be disseminated through the lands to try and advance the collective talents of the various individuals, cabals and clandestine colleges that practice the art.

Flesh-crafters are accepted only in a few places, and only within certain limits of their craft. Various faiths have adopted the use of specific strains of beastmen as temple-soldiers, generally ones that incorporate animals associated with their god. The populations of these clerical guardians is kept extremely limited, and the means of their production a closely guarded secret. Pre-pubescent aspirants are selected to be initiated into their ranks, leaving their families behind to reappear years later as beastmen indoctrinated to serve the needs of the clergy.

A rare few nobles have made use of flesh-crafted races in their armies, using more monstrous specimens as living siege weapons or instruments of terror. These nobles are often difficult to topple, the power of even a few minotaurs or similar beasts attached to a regular force being more than capable of routing an enemy army, but inevitably most such lords perish. Witch hunters, holy warriors, assassins, military alliances or even their own beasts seeing them die in their bed, in a feast hall or in the ruins of their castle.

As the players will be Witch Hunters, my thought is that they are to some extent above the law as long as they continue to fulfill their duties. No one person is easily able to punish them if they decide to replace their eyes with those of a cat, or have gills added to their armpits, or make a homunculus out of a dwarven orphan and a badger, much as no one can stop them from worshipping a Witch God, dealing with demons or using forbidden magic, provided they do so reasonably discretely. Other Witch Hunters could try to kill them of course, but doing so with official sanction would require a trial and that means getting enough hunters who care about what's going on together to be the jury and the witnesses of the trial. In theory the highest ranking hunters could strip them of authority and condemn them, but most of them are far away and more than a few are prone to using the darker arts themselves.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: August 14, 2021, 04:39:50 pm »

I was playing a Fallout-like game, and remembered Earthdawn (the major influence on Fallout).

The history of the world involves magically-protected caves, domes, or otherwise sealed towns/cities. For 400+ years. What are you going to do with all of the people who die over the course of 400 years when you have limited space?

ijub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: August 18, 2021, 10:49:41 am »

I was thinking up some character ideas for 5e and i thought of making a Variant Human Blood Hunter character designed specifically for fighting spellcasters after the Sorcerer in our party decided "I'm sorry my son" and vaporized my Goblin Rouge, do any of you all have any ideas on how i could make him able to combat most spellcasters?
Relax kids.  you were okay when people were talking about professional lube.  Somebody mentions improvising 15 years ago and you get the willies?
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 622