Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 832048 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8700 on: August 18, 2021, 12:16:13 pm »

In yesterday's session, we were getting rushed by a horde of zombies trying to push their way out through the gates of a tower.

An, as it happened, 20" diameter on the inside tower

And I had a scroll of Fireball
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: August 18, 2021, 03:57:44 pm »

I was thinking up some character ideas for 5e and i thought of making a Variant Human Blood Hunter character designed specifically for fighting spellcasters after the Sorcerer in our party decided "I'm sorry my son" and vaporized my Goblin Rouge, do any of you all have any ideas on how i could make him able to combat most spellcasters?

The Mercer homebrew thing, right? Don't really know much of the specifics there, but presumably you're taking variant so you can grab an early Mage Slayer feat. Seems like an obvious pick.

I notice Blood Hunters don't have Wis save proficiency, which will probably hurt quite a bit considering how many spells target that. Resilient might be an idea to pump that up a bit just so you don't get invalidated immediately.

Honestly? My personal pick for a wizard-killer would probably be a paladin of some sort, just for those incredibly juicy saves. Also a gnome, because advantage on mental saves vs. magic is just incredible (conflicts with Mage Slayer though, so might be preferable if you'd rather keep your distance).

In other news, I've just gotten a very sudden invite into a campaign with some friends, and after a bit of poking to find out that most of the other players are either full or partial casters, I've opted to cook up a mundane character to mix things up a bit. I'm leaning towards DEX, some kind of rakish mercenary (honestly, I'm mostly being inspired by Serka from the Shadow of War DLC), and from the sound of things a front-liner would be appreciated. I'm a little torn between Battle Master and Swashbuckler. Swashy has a lot of skill and esoteric benefits that I'm digging, but I'm worried about the balance between offense and survivability if I'm going to be taking heat.

Character's gonna be level 5. Briefly considered taking a GWM-PAM Barbarian, but I mean... Gotta leave something for the other players :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8703 on: August 26, 2021, 08:01:01 am »

why has money done this

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: August 26, 2021, 10:35:12 am »

Is this some kind if weird door fetishist thing
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: August 27, 2021, 02:11:34 am »

?

Also why D&D nerds that seems so random.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: August 27, 2021, 03:32:06 am »

I got
Gotta leave something for the other players :P

Had a fun time! I did precisely 0 damage and almost died!

Admittedly, tiny cramped tunnels where everyone's bunched up around each other isn't necessarily the most optimal stage for a swashbuckler, even an actually optimized one, but hey. Luckily we had a Cleric with Spirit Guardians and a Spore Druid who didn't know that their Halo of Spores ability requires a reaction to actually do damage to something.

The point-blank fireball from our bladesinger was also interesting, and part of the reason for my untimely nap.

In other news, I realized that a gnomish barbarian has advantage on 5/6 saving throws against spells they can see while raging (and proficiency in the one without advantage). Moustache of antimagic indeed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: August 27, 2021, 06:55:49 am »

?

Autocorrupt changed my attempt to write foot to door ;)
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8708 on: August 30, 2021, 11:30:55 am »

In other news, I realized that a gnomish barbarian has advantage on 5/6 saving throws against spells they can see while raging (and proficiency in the one without advantage). Moustache of antimagic indeed.
Up there with Yuan-Ti Paladin for "dear god why"

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: August 30, 2021, 09:46:24 pm »

I am currently ruminating on a horror one shot idea.

Core premise is that some people, including children, have gone missing from a nunnery, the orphanage attached to the nunnery and the nearby villages that donate food and other supplies to the nuns, local authority is busy with other matters and therefore deputises the PCs and sends them to deal with what they assume to be wild animals or a serial killer.

What's actually happened though is that several residents of the nunnery and orphanage are concealing severe sorrows, loneliness, regret, guilt and so on, which has served as a beacon to Sorrowsworn who are now preying upon the people of the area.

Ideas for specific beacons I have so far;

Mother Superior Annalise, an extremely elderly nun and the leader of the convent. She harbours a lot of guilt over many people she feels she failed over the years, most significantly many victims of a plague who she euthanized in her younger years in order to minimise their suffering. She keeps a length of string with a knot tied in it for every person she killed during her time as a nurse in a wooden box in her nightstand. Her many regrets have attracted the Wretched.

Sister Marianne, a middle aged nun. She has never managed to let go of a lost love from her youth, a fleeting childish romance that ended in heartbreak. She keeps letters and a locket from her old beau, hidden under a loose floorboard her cell. Among others, she has attracted the Lonely.

Eadric, an orphaned child in the care of the nuns. Eadric was abandoned by his parents and hasn't managed to come to terms with it. He's angry, angry at his parents for leaving him, at the nuns for making him stay at the orphanage, at rules, at life, at the gods, but most importantly, angry at himself. He feels he must have done something wrong, that it was his fault he was abandoned. His self-loathing and emotional outbursts have attracted the Angry.

Sigeburg, a farmer's child from the nearby villages. Sigeburg was close friends with one of the missing children, the first to dissapear in fact. In truth the child fell in an old mineshaft and died while out playing with Sigeburg and some of the other children. Frightened of getting into trouble the children lied, claiming to have no idea what happene to their missing friend. Each child that had been with Sigeburg that day is now gone. Taken by the Lost.

Cedric, a halfling from one of the villages. Cedric is the abused and rejected member of his family. Suffering from a mental disability that his family wasn't able to cope with, Cedric has spent most of his life locked in a spare room by his kin. Fed barely enough to keep him alive, beaten into passivity and quiet by the family that wants to forget he exists. Cedric's suffering has drawn the attention of the Hungry, but so great is his suffering that all Sorrowsworn are drawn to him.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8710 on: August 31, 2021, 05:31:12 am »

Sister Marianne Godwinson... We must dissent

I also like the idea of a demon hunter who keeps attracting Angry Demons to themself in a self-perpetuating cycle. Literally making, confronting and perpetuating their own demons

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: September 07, 2021, 02:46:01 pm »

Important question: When using the Order of Scribes ability to change a spell's damage type in order to cast Magic Missile with bludgeoning damage, is it more appropriate to call it Magic Mace-ile or Mace-ic Missile?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: September 07, 2021, 02:47:30 pm »

Why not Mace-ic Mace-ile?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8713 on: September 07, 2021, 05:24:27 pm »

Important question: When using the Order of Scribes ability to change a spell's damage type in order to cast Magic Missile with bludgeoning damage, is it more appropriate to call it Magic Mace-ile or Mace-ic Missile?
I CAST FIST

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: September 07, 2021, 06:00:16 pm »

I CAST FIST

This is the clear winner. Maybe call it multi-fist, but there's something about an unavoidable barrage of telekinetic punches that really brings a smile to my face.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 622