Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 835465 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8865 on: January 26, 2022, 12:30:39 pm »

...buuuut then I checked the roster, and it looks like someone else is playing a paladin. And I don't really wanna step on any toes.

Entire party must roll paladins.  Derail DM's plans with crusade.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: January 26, 2022, 12:45:45 pm »

Merchant crusade sounds like something that would rapidly de-paladinify the entire party, ngl.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: January 26, 2022, 03:16:41 pm »

Check the math

a +4 attack that deals 1d8+2d6+17. Averaging 28.5 damage, although you can only add the 2d6 twice per short rest. You can also do smites, which are very nice, up to 2 per short rest for 2d6 damage. Throw those in to increase the damage average to 35.5

If I recall, cr 6 enemies average 15 AC, so you hit on average 45% of the time, and you crit 10% of the time So your average dpr is 17.825 twice per short rest.

Some other thoughts, sharpshooter champion dpr is 17.55 all day long.
Sharpshooter hexblades with their better smites have 27.9 dpr twice per short rest.

Obviously these numbers all change a lot with the change of target AC, and importantly it's sorta an unfair comparison because the ultimate bonus to damage for an attacking character is reaching another attack number milestone which both straight hexblades and straight fighters get at level 5 but a mix would get at level 8, at level 8 I'd expect that the archer/hexblade catches up with the straight hexblade in a big way, although I'm not sure how much value I'd put on the 2d6 force damage in exchange for falling behind on spell progression. It would be better then the champion though.

I think the real take away is that sharpshooter is good, and hexblade is good, although neither of these are particularly hidden OPness :P since both are very frequent choices for optimization.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:22:34 pm by Criptfeind »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: January 26, 2022, 11:16:38 pm »

Man I sure am ignorant to have not noticed a DND thread on these here forums.

I have a friend that is DM'ing for his second time ever, and weirdly enough we're having trouble finding players. I think the problem to be the time slot he's chosen: 6:30pm 9:00PM EST, on Mondays. We have 2 players thus far, myself included, but I guess everyone else in our friend group can't make it. Would anyone here be interested in a campaign over Roll20 in that time frame? It's 5e, and the campaign is Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:21:01 pm by JoshuaFH »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: January 26, 2022, 11:47:13 pm »

Now that I've moved to a place where I have friends and don't need to drive 3 hours to see someone I know...first session this Saturday. Running a short three-shot for my friends where they'll play some guards who get wrapped up in intrigue and back stabbing. They're meant to be somewhat misfits, so I had fun making non-usual class characters.

Such as the half-orc wizard with better melee attacks that the gnome fighter. Or my favorite of the group: a dwarf ranger who carries an axe, is covered in armor, and has plants as his favored enemy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: January 27, 2022, 05:03:34 am »

Flat elf Samurai 6 can lay down 4 sharpshooter attacks with superadvantage in a round. Hell, echo knight 6 can pull off 6-7 GWM attacks in a round along with the rest of the echo bullshit.

Or we can take the level 5 range bullshit I'm leaning towards rolling up in this campaign. Vhuman with Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert feats, Battle Master 5.

This of course means our dex is still only 16, but Archery fighting style helps out there. Got a priority target that needs to die? Pop 'em without taking the sharpshooter penalty to better ensure a hit, then throw trip attack on top of that for guaranteed +1d8 damage and potentially knocking them over. If they fail the save, walk over and action surge to double-tap them with your remaining 4 attacks (bonus action XBE shot) with advantage and sharpshooter owies. If you manage to miss with advantage, you can probably patch up the remainder with precision attack if they absolutely have to go down right now.

Nasties giving your teammates trouble? Slap 'em with goading attack from range and then just back up. You've got four dice per short rest, use 'em.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: January 27, 2022, 02:08:59 pm »

... flat elf samurai? do they mumble something about justice as they murder things?
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: January 27, 2022, 02:26:53 pm »

Man I sure am ignorant to have not noticed a DND thread on these here forums.

Yeah, it seems like it would be in the Other Games subforum.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: January 27, 2022, 05:17:42 pm »

... flat elf samurai? do they mumble something about justice as they murder things?
Goteem
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8874 on: January 28, 2022, 09:37:58 am »

"I'm looking for the justice. I'm told you'd know where to find them.'
The barman polished his glasses in thought.
"Oh yeah, I know who that is. Flat is justice."

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: January 28, 2022, 10:25:56 am »

So my mind's been back on the idea for a dark fantasy setting I shared here a while ago, and specifically I have a short adventure idea in mind.

Players would be mercenaries, interested citizens or similar, going out to a collection of villages and hamlets that have been been getting raided by bandits and accosted by highwaymen. Not much killing, but a lot of looting and arson. People have been going missing though, and the bandits are being blamed so the villages have pooled some money together to hire someone to deal with it because the local authorities are being weirdly slow about it.

The bandits are in fact mercenaries themselves, hired and protected by a Witchhunter to ransack the locals in search of evidence of a fleshcrafter coven in the area. The coven is thought to have fled a relatively nearby town when other Witchhunters failed to corner them all before being noticed, and has now set up shop within the area and started abducting and experimenting on the local people, wildlife and livestock. If the Witchhunter makes their presence known too soon the coven will just flee again, and if they manage to flee it gives them more opportunities to spread their forbidden instructional texts and methods, so they're using the bandits as a cover to sieze and investigate people's property, and abduct the odd person to interrogate.

The coven is in fact local, at least in part, a member did flee the town with research materials and victims and hid among the seasonal farmhands, but the chief agents of the coven are residents of the villages. A doctor, a farmer, a priest, and a miller, who together have the knowledge, money and access to bodies and vulnerable people to perform experiments on the melding of different creatures for various reasons. The doctor wants to learn for the sake of it, the farmer wants to make a docile species of labourer, the priest thinks fleshcrafting will help him know the mind of his god, and the miller is wealthy and bored and turned to the coven as a way to pass the time that just got out of hand. The cultist from the town is frightened of being burned at the stake and regrets ever having gotten involved with the fleshcrafters, but had originally joined in the hopes that the coven he was in could help him and his wife deal with infertility problems (they did, it didn't go well.)

The logical endpoints I see are the players siding with the witchhunter to stop the fleshcrafters as more subtle agents than the existing mercenaries, or not believing there is a coven and fighting the witchhunter and mercenaries and then leaving. Or possibly siding with the fleshcrafters, that's always an option but I doubt many would take it given the experiments I have in mind.

Primary enemies would be a mixture of about a dozen well armed bandits, each with a name and personality, the odd guard dog or feral animal, and some experiments that are fusions of multiple animals or animals and people.

One monster I have in mind is the remains of Timothy Derrich, formerly aged eleven, kidnapped and fused with the living body of a wolfhound through a combination of surgery and alchemy to graft the head and part of the upper torso of the dog to his own upper body in place of his head, neck and collarbone. A twisted and suffering creature with a distended neck, supurrating flesh held together by magic and stitches, Derrich is used to track and help abduct subjects for the coven's experiments. He has massively reduced mental capabilities and is unable to speak as a result of having his constituent skulls cracked open and fused together, with some cranial matter from both heads being discarded to save space.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8876 on: January 28, 2022, 10:34:49 am »

Inb4 the mercenaries try subcontract their work to the players

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: January 28, 2022, 07:14:47 pm »

Inb4 the mercenaries try subcontract their work to the players

Players discover the cultists, but go along with what they do, because they weren't hired to hunt them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: January 29, 2022, 05:22:40 am »

Okay, quick opinion question... The cantrip Shape Water:

You choose an area of water that you can see within range and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You manipulate it in one of the following ways:

• You instantaneously move or otherwise change the flow of the water as you direct, up to 5 feet in any direction. This movement doesn’t have enough force to cause damage.
  • You cause the water to form into simple shapes and animate at your direction. This change lasts for 1 hour.
  • You change the water’s color or opacity. The water must be changed in the same way throughout. This change lasts for 1 hour.
  • You freeze the water, provided that there are no creatures in it. The water unfreezes in 1 hour.
If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have no more than two of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

If you use point no.2 to form water into a particular shape, then use point no.4 to freeze it solid, would you then allow someone to dismiss the effect of no.2 while still letting the frozen sculpture retain its shape?

I mean, it kinda makes sense to me... When forming things into a shape without freezing them, the shape is being maintained by constant magical force being applied to it. Once it's frozen, it now has physical forces maintaining the shape, so you can "let go" of the magical forces and it'd stay solid. I suppose the alternative would be to have a frozen solid sculpture suddenly morph back into a watery shape, while staying solid throughout.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: January 29, 2022, 08:18:12 am »

I mean, zeroth rule: Is your group going to have more fun if the answer is yes? If so, the answer is yes :P
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 622