Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 832385 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 12:19:10 am »

Which is a consequence that is sensible, rational, and tied to the actions in the setting-- which is EXACTLY how it should be handled.

Things like "You are suddenly struck by a bolt of lightning because XYZ, God of chastity, has suddenly decided to take offense to your lewd advances to the chamber maid." are what I am saying to avoid.  Have the chamber maid kick the offender in the balls, then give him a super wedgie and kick him down the stairs into the common room, then report his scandelous conduct to the city guards.  Much more entertaining.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 12:19:47 am »

Sometimes as a DM I would love to have an open license just to do something to the players just to put them into a situation they would never fall into.

Like for their drinks to be poisoned with a knock out juice... and they wake up in chains being sold into slavery.

In game this would never work because the rolls required would ensure that SOMEONE would survive it... or find it... or cast detect poison...

It creates this situation where I'd just like to input some sort of dark drama, like any story has, but where it would require all the players to mess up to attempt.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 12:21:04 am »

Or, alternatively, let the player commit the act of rapine, make him/her and any associates outlaws, and force them to deal with the local justices or run like the villains they are.

Just remember that as the DM you are the FINAL ARBITER of everything that happens in your world (don't abuse it, that's Very Bad DMing), if you need them KOed for a legitimate plot reason you can do that.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:25:37 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 12:24:15 am »

Neon-- Alcohol is itself a poison.  Point this out to somebody trying to cast "Detect poison", and use the intoxicating effects of the beverage itself to dull their senses so that they roll heavily hobbled saving throws.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 12:25:02 am »

Neon-- Alcohol is itself a poison.  Point this out to somebody trying to cast "Detect poison", and use the intoxicating effects of the beverage itself to dull their senses so that they roll heavily hobbled saving throws.

Player 1: Why didn't you let me roll my fortitude?

The best excuse I can make was that it was many doses of a poison... and they drank a lot.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 12:26:00 am »

See above^^.  FINAL ARBITER.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 12:26:41 am »

Besides the issue isn't so much that I couldn't REALLY force the issue to make it happen.

It is that the players would throw a dang riot!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:38 am »

If they agree to let you DM, they have already agreed to play by your rules, if they won't do so, get a better group.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 12:30:15 am »

If they agree to let you DM, they have already agreed to play by your rules, if they won't do so, get a better group.

You say this as if it was a sign as a bad group... but think of it this way

You JUST beat that dungeon, you go to the local bar in victory! Raising a cup of the finest ale the entire party drinks in tribute to that great spell you cast that was the villain's undoing.

BUT... it was a trap

The drinks they were poisoned and you all fell into a coma. When you awoken you found yourselves stripped and put into magic dampening irons without any locks, welded shut. Apparently a much more sinister force saw your victory and wishes to use you.

---

Most players would be pissed off that they were just forced into this situation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 12:30:42 am »

Ask the player to explain how their fotitude stat, intended to convey how well somebody holds their constitution with bleeding wounds, is going to influence their ability to not be heavily intoxicated after drinking enough alcohol to literally pickle somebody.

While they might not be physically unconscious yet, the effects of the alcohol are going to temporarily reduce their perception and intelligence stats into the crapper. That's what you need to avoid being bamboozled and hoodwinked, and or picked up by "Lola" in the black leather ensemble and violently cornholed in the livery stable.

In other words, being awake does not mean being able to react.  Point this out to them, and stick with it.

Neon--  That's bad story telling.  The first round is never poisoned.  It's the 4th or 5th round, as the evening wears on, and people start dozing into their drinks and bellowing out insane bullshit because of how drunk they are.  THAT'S when the new agent of the new bad guy slips them the roofie.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:32:39 am by wierd »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 12:31:54 am »

Basically. As long as you don't a) suck (see Flyme's DM) or b) abuse your power (once more, see Flyme's DM) things should go fine. Not all players will enjoy being drugged and sold into slavery, where they must henceforth find their way out of, but not all players enjoy playing (again, Flyme's DM.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 12:32:05 am »

As a DM you have hard decisions to make, some of your actions are going to make players unhappy, your job is to make the payoff worth what they went through.

And don't do it over and over again, once the group has been hit like this once they go mega-paranoia mode (which actually makes it easier to direct them), and they will probably flip their shit if you railroad them like this more than once.  If they're threatening to walk after it happens once, they are a bad group (or there are bad players among them.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:34:40 am by NullForceOmega »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 12:35:20 am »

Also, make the distinction of whether it's making them unhappy or they don't enjoy it.

I'm not really going to be happy desperately fighting my way out of a spider-filled cave, trying to avoid my character's seemingly likely death, but that doesn't mean I don't want it to happen.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 12:36:28 am »

I've had players enjoy getting killed to save a city of millions, good players roll with the DM as well as the dice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 12:38:22 am »

I love players who roll with anything.

They accept ALL the BS luck, the plot twists you throw at them, and even the insane challenges you put towards them.

I've had so few players like that but they are a gem.

Players who don't like any consequences run Mary Sues

Players who roll with whatever you throw at them run Heroes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 622