Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 825564 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2015, 01:50:55 am »

One thing you definitely want to do is try to give the players a sense of security OR paranoia... when appropriate.

Far too many times have I heard stories of players afraid to even read books on a shelf because one of the books might steal their souls... when there is no reason to believe it might happen other then some DMs just outright doing it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2015, 01:56:04 am »

I admit to having that reaction to dungeons.

Nothing sets my teeth on edge quite like hearing "The entrance is little more than a weathered opening in a craggy rock face. Vines and moss have grown up around it, obscuring your view of the inside."

or "You see a large altar before you, a shining jewel perched on top."

I would be flinging detect magic and investigating EVERY god damned thing about those before even DARING to get NEAR, due to the cliche over use of "Oh yeah, suddenly monsters!" and "Oh yeah, suddenly magic flamethrower of doom." that DMs like to use.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2015, 01:57:37 am »

I admit to my own views effecting my use of the family card, if your family is threatened regularly then they become a serious detriment to long-term enjoyment of the game, but if I as the DM use the family card in an extreme situation, I can get the players moving with serious impetus (in the above mentioned example, I pretty much expected the player to try a daring rescue, and was very surprised when he called in every favor he had to assemble a multi-million ship strong fleet of starships and carved a path of burning worlds through the hostile empire.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2015, 02:02:24 am »

I admit to my own views effecting my use of the family card, if your family is threatened regularly then they become a serious detriment to long-term enjoyment of the game, but if I as the DM use the family card in an extreme situation, I can get the players moving with serious impetus (in the above mentioned example, I pretty much expected the player to try a daring rescue, and was very surprised when he called in every favor he had to assemble a multi-million ship strong fleet of starships and carved a path of burning worlds through the hostile empire.)
Whoa, holy crap. What sort of game was this?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2015, 02:03:42 am »

One thing I love to have when I run a game

Is to have a player who is a confidant, as in someone you can talk about the game with and give spoilers, who is an experienced DM.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2015, 02:05:47 am »

It was a Rifts game, set partially in the Three Galaxies, the baddies were the Kreegor, and the good guys were an assembly of the FWC, the CCW, the UWW, and three factions of my own creation.  The battle was unreal.  The politics was helped by the fact that his family consisted of members of those three factions I created, and my factions had very good relations with the others.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:07:37 am by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2015, 02:08:03 am »

Some game settings freely have space opera and high fantasy in the same worldspace.  Starships shouldnt be that remarkable as a plot element.

Neon:  You would probably love me as a player then.  As somebody with basically no sex drive, I get irritated when other players inevitably do the "smooze the barmaid" routine. If they do it too often, my chances of whispering to the DM about causing complications for them would increase dramatically. (say, PURPOSEFULLY hooking them up with a same-sex prostitute after getting them hammered, etc.)

When playing a player character, I tend to play a character that trusts the other party members to not be selfish dicks, and that focuses on party survival instead of personal enrichment.  EG, if somebody needs to climb the sheer rock face, and has the better climbing stat, but I own the rope, I will hand them the rope, but expect it back afterward.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:09:44 am by wierd »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:59 am »

I don't really get to actually be a player much anymore, I love coming up with fun character concepts (usually without any kind of combat ability at all), because when I run a standard character things tend to get out of hand quickly (I don't munchkin, I never minmax, I just tend to take actions that are so far out there that every single DM/GM I've ever tried to run with just gets lost.)  I miss just playing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2015, 02:13:26 am »

Well if only you were available as a player Wierd.

This whole topic has made me nervous about being able to run my upcoming game.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:19:32 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2015, 02:25:01 am »

I really think that we (Bay12 forum goers) should arrange a skype or IRC based Pen and paper time slot. We already do roleplay type things in the subforums anyway with the community fortress type things.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2015, 02:25:47 am »

I really think that we (Bay12 forum goers) should arrange a skype or IRC based Pen and paper time slot. We already do roleplay type things in the subforums anyway with the community fortress type things.

With revolving DMs?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2015, 02:29:12 am »

Nothing set in stone.  I'd go more for having options presented at the beginning of each session, so that several possible irons are in the fire that can be chosen from.

Eg, "Hey, let's pick up where left off on Neon's campaign tonight, instead of continuing MaximumZero's-- anyone game for that?" followed by a quick player vote type thing.

That way we can pick and choose, and not feel stuck in a rut.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2015, 02:34:44 am »

I have a feeling my turn won't come up often :P

Trial by fire and all that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2015, 02:38:09 am »

Check the Forum Games and Role-Playing board. There's plenty of games doing this already :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2015, 02:59:42 am »

Check the Forum Games and Role-Playing board. There's plenty of games doing this already :P

Also good luck finding them :P

It is why I think a recruit section and a "actually play the game" section should be separate.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 622