Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849050 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1770 on: February 24, 2016, 07:05:07 pm »

Rays can use Precise and Point-Blank shot feats, so I don't see why not.

And since Strength is definitely not our strong suit, so Weapon Finesse is pretty much mandatory for Bladers who don't use Elemental blasts. Elementals get to cheat by targeting touch.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 24, 2016, 07:23:37 pm »

Rays can use Precise and Point-Blank shot feats, so I don't see why not.

And since Strength is definitely not our strong suit, so Weapon Finesse is pretty much mandatory for Bladers who don't use Elemental blasts. Elementals get to cheat by targeting touch.
Pyrokineticists also get to target touch. Blue flame blast is the only one that has composite blast damage that still targets touch AC.

Its how I'm able to fight enemies with 40+ AC. And do kinetic blasts count as a ray attack?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 24, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »

Kinetic Blast (Sp)

At 1st level, a kineticist gains a kinetic blast wild talent of her choice. This kinetic blast must be a simple blast that matches her element.

As a standard action, the kineticist can unleash a kinetic blast at a single target up to a range of 30 feet. She must have at least one hand free to aim the blast (or one prehensile appendage, if she doesn't have hands). All damage from a kinetic blast is treated as magic for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction. Kinetic blasts count as a type of weapon for the purpose of feats such as Weapon Focus. The kineticist is never considered to be wielding or gripping the kinetic blast (regardless of effects from form infusions; see Infusion), and she can't use Vital Strike feats with kinetic blasts. Even the weakest kinetic blast involves a sizable mass of elemental matter or energy, so kinetic blasts always deal full damage to swarms of any size (though only area blasts deal extra damage to swarms). A readied kinetic blast can be used to counterspell any spell of equal or lower level that shares its descriptor. A kinetic blast that deals energy damage of any type (including force) has the corresponding descriptor.

Seems that's a no to being a ray attack. Instead, it would require Weapon Focus (Kinetic Blast) etc. Alchemist Bombs share the same restriction.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: February 24, 2016, 10:27:22 pm »

Kinetic blasts count as a type of weapon for the purpose of feats such as Weapon Focus. The kineticist is never considered to be wielding or gripping the kinetic blast (regardless of effects from form infusions; see Infusion), and she can't use Vital Strike feats with kinetic blasts.

This is the part I was referring to. I'm not that great at wording my thoughts sometimes.

I meant that Kinetic Blasts are like rays in that they are considered weapon types for the purpose of feats. Albeit, more limited than physical weapons.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 24, 2016, 10:52:17 pm »

Yeah, it limits the uses to which you can put your Kinetic Blast. For example, you couldn't pair it with Dazzling Display because you need to be wielding your weapon, and a kineticist is never considered to be wielding their Kinetic Blast. You could probably pair it with False Opening though, which would be decent for lowering the touch AC of an enemy by denying them their Dex bonus. Of course that requires you have a high enough AC or other source of defense to reliably eat an attack of opportunity and have the enemy miss. Honestly you're probably better off just taking more Toughness feats instead.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1775 on: February 25, 2016, 03:28:33 pm »

The adventures of Launce Aroys, ordinary guy extraordinaire, continue. After the surveyor and wizard for kicked out of the suspected smuggler's shop, I struck up a conversation with the guards (I was posing as hired muscle at the time) and managed to work out that he was a slaver.

That was about the most successful anyone was the whole session though, as we then discovered the best climb modifier in the party to be -1, and put six arrows into a lemure in the span of about ten seconds for a total of one damage. We didn't realise it was there, since we assumed the wizard's familiar had just flown into a window.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 25, 2016, 03:36:39 pm »

The adventures of Launce Aroys, ordinary guy extraordinaire, continue. After the surveyor and wizard for kicked out of the suspected smuggler's shop, I struck up a conversation with the guards (I was posing as hired muscle at the time) and managed to work out that he was a slaver.

That was about the most successful anyone was the whole session though, as we then discovered the best climb modifier in the party to be -1, and put six arrows into a lemure in the span of about ten seconds for a total of one damage. We didn't realise it was there, since we assumed the wizard's familiar had just flown into a window.
This so chaotic confusing that I wish I was there to witness it

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: February 25, 2016, 08:46:46 pm »

Heh, I'm checking out the new Blood of Shadows splatbook for Pathfinder. They finally added Extra Ninja Trick so that rules lawyers will stop hassling Ninjas because they technically can't take Rogue feats, despite being an Advanced Rogue Archetype.

Got some other neat stuff as well. Mostly aimed at Drow, Half-Elves, and two races from the Plane of Shadows.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:49:51 pm by BlackFlyme »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 25, 2016, 09:10:26 pm »

Got a quick question for some of you guys, and this is something that I talk to a few people about in RL, but not much elsewhere.

What are you looking forward to/expecting in 5e?

I'm waiting until they release more races from 4e like Revenant, Goliath, Mul, and others

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: February 25, 2016, 09:29:56 pm »

I'm looking forward to a revamped Ranger and more monsters.

They already have Goliaths. They were released in the Elemental Evil supplement.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: February 25, 2016, 09:44:10 pm »

Got a quick question for some of you guys, and this is something that I talk to a few people about in RL, but not much elsewhere.

What are you looking forward to/expecting in 5e?

I'm waiting until they release more races from 4e like Revenant, Goliath, Mul, and others

5e is pretty neat right now, but there's kind of a dearth of monsters[In the Monster Manual, at least]. More of those would kind of be nice. I also kinda want more build path things for classes. Like, there are only two Sorcerous Origin options right now, for one. More options there is always fun.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: February 25, 2016, 09:53:55 pm »

Agreed.

More origins...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: February 25, 2016, 10:07:09 pm »

I think they either need a second PHB to start adding things from the unearthed arcana and the campaigns in, as well as some extras from the DM's handbook and the MM, because I had no iea genesai was a thing, and I only found out about shifters from an unearthed arcana thing someone posted in another 5e game... I love longtooth shifters, and I played a longtooth shifter berserker in 4e, and I'm kinda recreating him with my longtooth shifter barbarian who has sentinel.

Oh, nad that reminds me. Does standing up provoke Sentinel? If it does, does it stop them from standing up?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: February 25, 2016, 11:53:12 pm »

Oh, nad that reminds me. Does standing up provoke Sentinel? If it does, does it stop them from standing up?
No, though if they tried to move away, that would provoke and opportunity attack, and, if it landed, that would set their speed to 0, preventing them from standing up. A more reliable method of keeping a prone person down is to use your action to grapple them, as this also  sets their speed to 0 (which can also be used as an Attack action, if you have some form of Extra Attack, as can shoving someone prone, so with a good Athletics score you can pretty reliably have someone prone and and unable to get up or move at all with a single round of effort.)

As for the original question, what I'm most looking forward to in 5e is material for Eberron, hopefully a sourcebook for the setting at least comparable to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Things needed for this are probably some improvement to the Warforged race presented in Unearthed Arcana, definitely a proper implementation of the Artificer class (it doesn't work as a Wizard tradition, and I don't know why they thought it would), and likely some adjustment to the base assumption of magic item distribution.

As for something I'd like that may not ever come to fruition, I'd really like some official Spelljammer support. Even just an Unearthed Arcana somewhere down the road would probably make me pretty happy.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: February 26, 2016, 12:16:26 am »

No, though if they tried to move away, that would provoke and opportunity attack, and, if it landed, that would set their speed to 0, preventing them from standing up. A more reliable method of keeping a prone person down is to use your action to grapple them, as this also  sets their speed to 0 (which can also be used as an Attack action, if you have some form of Extra Attack, as can shoving someone prone, so with a good Athletics score you can pretty reliably have someone prone and and unable to get up or move at all with a single round of effort.)

As for the original question, what I'm most looking forward to in 5e is material for Eberron, hopefully a sourcebook for the setting at least comparable to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Things needed for this are probably some improvement to the Warforged race presented in Unearthed Arcana, definitely a proper implementation of the Artificer class (it doesn't work as a Wizard tradition, and I don't know why they thought it would), and likely some adjustment to the base assumption of magic item distribution.

As for something I'd like that may not ever come to fruition, I'd really like some official Spelljammer support. Even just an Unearthed Arcana somewhere down the road would probably make me pretty happy.
I agree on the artificer class. It didn't feel like it fit artificer, at least in the 4e sense, very well

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 623