Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849051 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1785 on: February 26, 2016, 01:33:17 am »

The adventures of Launce Aroys, ordinary guy extraordinaire, continue. After the surveyor and wizard for kicked out of the suspected smuggler's shop, I struck up a conversation with the guards (I was posing as hired muscle at the time) and managed to work out that he was a slaver.

That was about the most successful anyone was the whole session though, as we then discovered the best climb modifier in the party to be -1, and put six arrows into a lemure in the span of about ten seconds for a total of one damage. We didn't realise it was there, since we assumed the wizard's familiar had just flown into a window.
This so chaotic confusing that I wish I was there to witness it

It probably doesn't help that it was late when I wrote that up, so it has some significant typos in it. Like calling the sorcerer a surveyor.

But yeah, much of the session was a blur of characters acting on impulse and poor decision making. And shenanigans.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: February 27, 2016, 01:18:30 am »

Any recommendations for when you have a bunch of feats/class abilities to choose from, but don't really need or want any?

Some classes just don't need a lot of feats to do their job, and I have no idea what to do with the empty slots. It doesn't help that what feat options there are for Kineticists are sub-optimal.

Not that I have many potential options anyways. This DM bans things very haphazardly. Sometimes doesn't even look into what he bans, just declaring it sounds broken, so it isn't allowed.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: February 27, 2016, 01:29:03 am »

Any recommendations for when you have a bunch of feats/class abilities to choose from, but don't really need or want any?

Some classes just don't need a lot of feats to do their job, and I have no idea what to do with the empty slots. It doesn't help that what feat options there are for Kineticists are sub-optimal.

Not that I have many potential options anyways. This DM bans things very haphazardly. Sometimes doesn't even look into what he bans, just declaring it sounds broken, so it isn't allowed.
Bonus wild talent is always an option for kineticist feats. As for other classes, it doesn't hurt to look at endurance/die hard. It NEVER hurts to have that extra turn to live. I could have gotten to use it if it wasn't for a x3 crit insta-killing me on my ranger.

Weapon focus and improved defence feats (iron will, etc.) are good to use for the feat slot if you REALLY don't need them for anything
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: February 27, 2016, 01:46:09 am »

I was thinking of taking Ranger Trap. Nabbing tripwire, and tricking enemies into charging into it. Charging enemies take a -6 on their save against tripwires, so it would make up for my Wis not being maxed out, and for Learn Ranger Trap giving non-rangers a -2 to the DC.

Or take Animal Ally or Leadership or something just to annoy the DM. He also hates familiars, so Familiar bond is also an option. Not to the extent that another DM I know of hates them, mind you. I've heard some horror stories about that other DM.

Someone buys an item he feels is too powerful? Every enemy now uses Sunder as their only attack method. Familiar or Animal Companion? It dies first, even if it is never actually used in combat. Wizard hides the familiar inside his coat, or some other pocket? Grapple the Wizard, pull the familiar out, then ignore the Wizard for the rest of combat.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: February 27, 2016, 01:48:34 am »

The DM needs to learn to say "Yes, but." Clearly, he knows how to say no and yes, so that's the next step.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: February 27, 2016, 02:46:51 am »

...Hm. So I put on a cursed ring, just cause.

Turns out I can no longer hold metal. However, my Ring of Sustenance is still on my other hand because I took it off.

This has... Interesting implications as the party's tank. Metal simply passes through my fingers, at least. We ended the session on this. Next week will be, I think, testing of this strange and wondrous property. Good thing I'm a soul blade and my weapons and armor aren't actually metal.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: February 27, 2016, 05:26:53 am »

The DM needs to learn to say "Yes, but." Clearly, he knows how to say no and yes, so that's the next step.

Err, which DM?

My current one happens to be the Problem Player/Whizzard I mentioned/complained/greentexted about before. Bans entire books because he doesn't like one minor thing in it, and never looks into what he says is broken.

The Advanced Player's Guide is banned because he doesn't like the Alchemist. The Swashbuckler is banned because he doesn't like their Opportune Parry.

He also doesn't want us using a certain fan site because it sources which book everything comes from. I don't understand the logic of that. Especially since the site he likes doesn't source much, renames everything, has poor organization, and slips in third party stuff without marking it as third party half the time.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: February 27, 2016, 06:25:19 am »

...Hm. So I put on a cursed ring, just cause.

Turns out I can no longer hold metal. However, my Ring of Sustenance is still on my other hand because I took it off.

This has... Interesting implications as the party's tank. Metal simply passes through my fingers, at least. We ended the session on this. Next week will be, I think, testing of this strange and wondrous property. Good thing I'm a soul blade and my weapons and armor aren't actually metal.

"You approach the evil wizard's tower. An oversized metal gate bars the way."

"Lolnope"
Love, scriver~

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: February 27, 2016, 06:44:11 am »

I think the first test will be whether I can wear gloves or find a proxy substance to manipulate coinage.

Scratch that. First test is having a silver piece thrown at my noggin.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: February 27, 2016, 10:50:19 am »

Your DM that hates on familiars has some things I'm not fond of.

For example, I have a wizard who's familiar is a scorpion that he keeps inside of an ammo pouch on his chest. No one knows that it's there except him, and it's out of sight. How would an enemy be able to know that my familiar is in there?

And for he animal companion thing, I know rangers can get a new one after a week and Its dependant on the biome, but I'm not sure if Druid companions work the same.

Also, it can never be as bad as a guy I saw who banned the use of wizards because he didn't like them. He was ok with sorcerers, but wizards was a big no no

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: February 27, 2016, 11:06:18 am »

To be honest, considering the sheer power of wizards as a tier 1 class, that's fair enough.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: February 27, 2016, 01:11:03 pm »

One of these days I am going to need a dnd buddy to just shoot ideas off of so I can stop stressing over DMing.

Not that I need ideas, but so much that it helps keep you on track.

I spend half the week every week just looking at the computer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:12:51 pm by Neonivek »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: February 27, 2016, 02:21:09 pm »

Party rules lawyer continues his bullshit.

He uae paralyzingly grasp on me, which can't be removed without remove curse/remove paralyze, and then he cast familicide on me (for those of you who don't know, it kills everyone related to you through blood, and then everyone related to them by blood and so on, but you stay alive).

Throw on top of that, he summoned, instantly, a balor lord, after we just killed to high levels liches who are summoners.

Did I mention that the entire time, the healer, controlled by the rules lawyer, was sitting around and doing jack all, and as I left to go to work, he told me I'm not gonna be healed until long after the encounter? Fuck you...

Also, WHO THE FUCK SUMMONS A BALOR LORD WITH GREATER PLANAR BINDING AT INSTANT SPEED, WHEN GREATER PLANAR BINDING STOPS AT A REGULAR BALOR, JUST TO PISS OFF THE ACTUAL GM?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: February 27, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »

That is not a rules lawyer, that is a munchkin.  Munchkin are a blight on gaming, and the only way to stop them is to have a GM who operates under the principle of 'Not a chance in hell'.  Your group is already screwed, I'd ditch for a better table.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: February 27, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »

He's gonna be stripped of power soon.

If there was a chance to revive his family, it wouldn't be so bad. BUT TO FUCKING MAKE SURE THEY CANT BE REVIVED EXCEPT BY A GOD? FUCK YOU!

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 623