Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845590 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #2955 on: December 13, 2016, 06:55:44 pm »

Viking Game! You get all the pirate stuff, but also easier avenue for different stuff. Like some lite politics with our Town, and summer cow raiding, for more cows.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: December 13, 2016, 07:03:01 pm »

Town? True vikings have no towns, only farms, holds, and steads! :P
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: December 13, 2016, 07:39:55 pm »

Viking Game! You get all the pirate stuff, but also easier avenue for different stuff. Like some lite politics with our Town, and summer cow raiding, for more cows.
Could we sacrifice those cows to our gods?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: December 13, 2016, 10:32:19 pm »

YES

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: December 13, 2016, 10:42:12 pm »

YES
While wearing eyepatches?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: December 13, 2016, 10:47:48 pm »

In secret Ninja enclaves?
I still can't get over that Paizo included viking ninjas in their lore. Renaming them Frozen Shadows doesn't justify it if they still use katanas and other weapons that they shouldn't even know exist.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: December 13, 2016, 11:00:56 pm »

I still can't get over that Paizo included viking ninjas in their lore. Renaming them Frozen Shadows doesn't justify it if they still use katanas and other weapons that they shouldn't even know exist.

Fun Fact! Vikings, did the folding steel technique that the Japan did. They had similarly shitty iron deposits, and had to do the folding technique to gain a reasonable amount of strength.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: December 13, 2016, 11:51:12 pm »

Fun Fact! Vikings, did the folding steel technique that the Japan did. They had similarly shitty iron deposits, and had to do the folding technique to gain a reasonable amount of strength.
is real life an anime
is there a god and is he a weeaboo

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: December 14, 2016, 02:06:32 am »

Fun fact: from the perspective of the real people outside our simulated reality, we have massive eyes and generally fucked up proportions.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:40 am »

Japanese iron deposits are not shit, and neither are those of Viking lands, the folding technique further aligns the atomic lattice of the iron, trapping a greater amount of carbon and increasing its strength.  The reason the Japanese used it is that smiths were only allowed a small allotment of iron from the deposits (which are among the highest purity on Earth) so they couldn't afford to waste any on failed blades.  The Vikings used it because a Viking broadsword that had  high carbon content was massively more durable than the lower-grade steel used by those they raided and conquered.  This fucking lie perpetuated by uninformed internet trolls need to die in a goddamn fire.

Now take your steel discussion out of my D&D thread.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2965 on: December 15, 2016, 02:34:01 am »

If you're going for lethal combat in a viking game then I really recommend Mythras or something similar. There's also the Mythic Britain setting for it that you could use.

Personally I'd prefer being privateers since you can mix in conquering natives, exploring fallen temples etc etc.

Japanese iron deposits are not shit, and neither are those of Viking lands, the folding technique further aligns the atomic lattice of the iron, trapping a greater amount of carbon and increasing its strength.  The reason the Japanese used it is that smiths were only allowed a small allotment of iron from the deposits (which are among the highest purity on Earth) so they couldn't afford to waste any on failed blades.  The Vikings used it because a Viking broadsword that had  high carbon content was massively more durable than the lower-grade steel used by those they raided and conquered.  This fucking lie perpetuated by uninformed internet trolls need to die in a goddamn fire.

Now take your steel discussion out of my D&D thread.

This really is historical revisionism. Japanese used ironsand to make their steel and that has a huge amount of impurities because it's sand.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: December 15, 2016, 02:56:06 am »

Yeah Japan both had very little iron... and the iron they had was typically of low quality.

The folding technique was absolutely necessary to turn that low quality iron and turn it into high quality steel.

Later on the Europeans would invent a way that would completely outdate any need to use the folding technique and create high-grade steel at a uniform level at higher grades then even the folding technique... Yet this process would come at the very end of the medieval period.

---

Honestly the more interesting part about Japan and its lack of metal isn't really the Folding technique or Katanas... but rather how armor evolved.

For example they would sometimes forgo shields and instead use smaller weapons for deflection (Something that goes FREEKISHLY unheard of in fiction).

Helmets often had metal bits instead of being completely armored.

And their armor was often thick layers of cloth.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:59:12 am by Neonivek »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: December 15, 2016, 03:22:40 am »

Heh, should know better than to make broad statements about metallurgy and smithing on the DF forums, Null.

Getting back to the real topic, what sort of fun loot ideas do you think would be interesting to place in an ancient necropolis of lizardfolk and kobolds?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: December 15, 2016, 03:32:33 am »

Heh, should know better than to make broad statements about metallurgy and smithing on the DF forums, Null.

Getting back to the real topic, what sort of fun loot ideas do you think would be interesting to place in an ancient necropolis of lizardfolk and kobolds?

Give them a culture, make the players feel a sense of loss that the Lizardfolk and kobolds lost something.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: December 15, 2016, 06:06:29 am »

Trouble is, I've already set up a bunch of undead kobolds and lizardfolk guarding the necropolis. Story so far is that lizardfolk kept the kobolds as slaves. Mainly went with this since we have a gnome in the group, and that means he gets to add his racial bonus against reptilian subtype creatures.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 623