Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 836068 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3765 on: April 27, 2017, 09:42:48 pm »

Pathfinder's Bestiary 6 came out. Lots of new stuff that likely won't see use, as usual, like the Player Races.

Two are reprints, the Monkey Goblin and the Munavri. One's a Fey made of water. One's a wolfman. One's an alien aberration. And a bit OP, I think.

I also got Heroes of the Darklands, but I don't like much of anything in it. A bit disappointed.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: April 27, 2017, 11:31:31 pm »

Yeah, Munavri are OP. There's a specific line in the header about building Munavri characters that they count as 1 CR higher. So I guess Pathfinder is officially doing LA +1 races now?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: April 27, 2017, 11:44:26 pm »

I guess. Unusually powerful races aren't new, though I don't think they were given CR adjustments before.

Drow Nobles and the weird stuff in the back of the Advanced Race Guide are proof enough of that which is not meant to be playable. Though since then, we've gotten stuff like Duergar Tyrants, Azlanti, and Shobhads. I would have thought the Tyrant would have been in B6, since a large chunk of the Occult Bestiary made it in.

There's also rules for playing as a monster. Their level is equal to their CR, IIRC. You can also acquire a monstrous ally through Leadership, but level to obtain a Monster Cohort seems all over the place. I can't figure out if there is a formula or if it's just arbitrarily chosen numbers.

Yaddithians are an odd new race though. Aberrations with rather powerful but oddly niche abilities. No need to breathe and can play prepared spellcasters without a book/Familiar/other spell receptacle. They also get a +2 bonus to all Knowledges and Spellcraft, which is a hell of a boon.

The Planar Dragons and the various demigods are awesome though.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:47:53 pm by BlackFlyme »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: April 28, 2017, 01:51:48 am »

Planar Dragons?
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: April 28, 2017, 03:46:07 am »

After 70 years of mostly menial service, and a disastrous clusterfuck of a first mission, I was judged worthy of commanding a squad (by dint of selfless loyalty and, barely, surviving) (also, the local Invictus are clearly getting desperate).  A WW2 medic, a Southern Belle, and a blind kung-fu mistress walk into knock politely at the door of a hunter conspiracy.  "Is this some kind of a joke?"  *sound of guns loading*

Hunters are *hardcore*, especially with preparation time.  Still mortals, but with strength of numbers and horrific strength of conviction.
In the end, we killed more hunters than they killed.

No, sic- they had a *serious* friendly fire issue.  Literally, at the end.
When all they have is large numbers of somewhat crazy people, facing supernatural abominations, they do as they must.

Our Belle did very well initially.  Realizing that negotiations had failed, she announced her intention to defend herself.  Turns out that modern drum-fed shotguns are effective at clearing doors and hallways.  Fully automatic fire requires a lot of strength to retain accuracy- supernatural strength, one might say.

Our blind martial artist (a horrifying fish-nosferatu with a severe allergy to light) also did very well.  She was the only reason we weren't cut down by a particularly ridiculous katana-and-wakazashi weeaboo.  Sounds ridiculous, but swords work better than bullets against kindred.  And he had some absolutely bullshit merits, apparently, such that he sliced apart a rifle round dead-on to his head, and managed to cut up the belle despite the shrapnel grazing his skull
The martial artist and I eventually managed to surround and tackle him, though.  You know the hand-blades rogues use in Diablo 2?  Well, rest assured, the "hand-claws" meme in our gaming group is still going strong.  Because it keeps working.

The belle went mindlessly hungry from her wounds, until we managed to hold down a "vessel" for her.  My character was hungry too, soooo very hungry...  But 70 years teaches restraint.  My character's beast is a starved, sad thing, which has only once in all that time tasted human blood.
And that human was "sanitizing" her precious sewer, see.  Still, that one taste was... distracting.

Such is the kind of digression which attempts to subvert a vampiric mind, lapsing it into a feral state.  Giving into the beast.  Not my character.  And so, when the fricken Flammenwerfer emerged from the sideroom, we were reasonably ready...  As much as vampires can be, when faced with a liter of distilled HATE.  Holding a flamethrower.
(The DMPC's ashes flowed out the doorway.  A classy 50's gangster who kept calling us dames - bizarrely, in the previous chronicle, our Malkavian had him as one of her random personalities.  But now they both know final death)

I ordered retreat.  The belle was not listening, but ran anyway, a feral beast fleeing from the hateful flame.  I slammed the door on the fire, but late...  My clothes ignited, and dry skin.  I ran down the interior hallway, ripping off smouldering cloth and slapping at my crisp burning flesh, leaving a trail of dust.  Despite nearly draining my willpower reserves to remain sane and put myself out, I did manage to do so... just.  Large chunks of my body and arms were missing, and I was a handful of blood away from mindless hunger, but the line was held.

Showing even greater presence of mind, our martial artist actually jammed a door shut on our way out.  Here's hoping the firebat burned in there- he did burn several of his wounded allies in his zeal to kill us.  They are barbaric and desperate.

PS:  It turned out that that region was overrun because my ancient sire never plugged in his phone, so he failed to keep in touch with his nemesis (the Mekhet primogen).  This was all a failure to communicate.  Still, risking the lives of neonates over trivial nonsense is kinda how neonates advance...  Beats 70 years of maid-work.
Eating rats is fine, though.  Eleanor likes being a cat.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: April 28, 2017, 08:29:35 am »

Got burnt out from stress, so I'm a player next session (girlfriend offered to run, but I don't think she has the confidence to do so). There's so much 5e content for players out right now in UA, that I don't know what to pick. I wanted to roll artificer, but they don't seem to be as awesome this time around...

Thinking hexblade warlock, goblin cleric (shoutout to those who know where Im going with that), or something else I have forgotten that's in the UA
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: April 28, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »

Planar Dragons?

Yea, extraplanar dragons. Five of them, with four for each of the corner alignments and one for true neutral. Paradise Dragons come from Heaven, Havoc Dragons are from Nirvana, Crypt Dragons live in the Boneyard, Infernal Dragons are found in Hell, and Rift Dragons dwell in the Abyss.

They're all the same CR, and I believe they are the highest CR of all the True Dragons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: April 28, 2017, 03:46:27 pm »

Don't forget the Brine Dragon! Real salt & vinegar type, that one.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: April 28, 2017, 05:41:02 pm »

I was going to say that!
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: April 28, 2017, 05:49:52 pm »

I was going to say that!

You still can, or you can be extra witty and add onto it.

Ehhh I prefer all dressed dragons.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: April 28, 2017, 06:04:30 pm »

Puns. Puns everywhere.

I guess the Primal Dragons are also Planar, in their way. Found in the Elemental Planes rather often, at least.

But if anyone has questions about Bestiary 6 or Heroes of the Darklands, I can help out, if they want.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: April 28, 2017, 07:10:29 pm »

It's pretty bad when I say "I like my dragons how I like my chips" and it just comes out to Regular, that's pretty sad.

not that it matters since I'm not too keen on pathfinder anyway.

Meanwhile, in 5e, I'm still waiting when they'll announce PHB2. So many new archetypes, feats, races, and more added, they would surprise me if they DIDNT do it.

Im also waiting for the release of 5e tomb of horrors. My girlfriend has been begging me to run it, not knowing what it actually is

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: April 28, 2017, 07:15:43 pm »

5e desperately needs bloat, as silly as that sounds.

I know I am someone who can never have enough bloat... but come on! there is such a thing as too little.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: April 28, 2017, 07:27:46 pm »

I know I am someone who can never have enough bloat... but come on! there is such a thing as too little.
Define bloat in this case.

Also, what we need for 5e is the return of the elementalist. So much potential now!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: April 28, 2017, 08:07:00 pm »

Define bloat in this case.

Also, what we need for 5e is the return of the elementalist. So much potential now!

I mean stuff... Classes + Archtypes, monsters, magic items, FEATS...

A few weapon types feel ENTIRELY screwed over as far as getting their greater versions (beyond just "Magic +1" or "Magic +3")... I mean I know people can just use whatever weapon they find... but I like the characterization involved. Plus Swords get WAAAAAAY too many! (They have what? 6-8 legendary weapons now?).

It is actually at the point where I honestly use Adventure Paths more for their monster and magic item sections than anything else.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 622