Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 834696 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #4755 on: December 07, 2017, 06:56:28 pm »

And that's why no dm should ever allow psionics in their game.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: December 07, 2017, 07:11:50 pm »

Uh, the only thing the Mystics were doing in my last post is the 35 reach. The passive perception of 37, and the Persausion check of 64 have nothing to do with psionics.

Though I agree the Mystics seem to be very good for min-maxing. Perhaps too good.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:17:43 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: December 07, 2017, 08:18:48 pm »

I've been fascinated by the UA Mystic in 5E but apparently it's super broken (and somewhat unlikely to show up in official materials any time soon). Terrible shame, I feel like it could be a worthy successor to what the Warlock was in 3.5 on account of the "person with narrowly-defined superpowers" general concept, and I've always had a soft spot for the 3.5 warlock.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: December 08, 2017, 01:48:32 pm »

Harry, I think I finally know what your avatar is. It is the most horrible of beasts, the Thought Eater, right?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: December 08, 2017, 02:19:53 pm »

Yah, that's definitely the thought eater from AD&D Monster Manual.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: December 08, 2017, 03:10:45 pm »

Sometimes I just think "Psionics is OP" is mostly just perpetuated from days of 1st and 2nd edition.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: December 08, 2017, 04:45:53 pm »

It might also be because it's often its own extensive subsystem that most DMs and players don't look into unless someone is playing a psionic. From what I hear, the same sort of thing tends to happen with the Tome of Battle.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: December 08, 2017, 05:07:37 pm »

Harry, I think I finally know what your avatar is. It is the most horrible of beasts, the Thought Eater, right?

I think it's a Duck from Dragons and Demons:
Love, scriver~

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: December 08, 2017, 05:34:27 pm »

I think it's a Duck from Dragons and Demons:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No, it's explicitly a Thought Eater.

And when I saw the image you posted, I assumed it was from Runequest (the only RPG I know of with anthropomorphic ducks (besides furry ones, of course), but it turns out that Drakar och Demoner is it's own thing, though it was originally based on Runequest.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: December 08, 2017, 08:05:27 pm »

And here I thought the ducks was a thing Drakar och Demoner had brewed up themselves. I am disappoint. I figured it was an expression of the Swedish appreciation of Donald Duck or something, given how often they were depicted in an unambiguously Disneyian fashion:

I didn't even know RuneQuest was anything else than the mmo actually.

Also, bonus trivia: The company that made Dragons and Demons is the predecessor of what is Paradox Interactive today.
Love, scriver~

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: December 08, 2017, 11:21:02 pm »

You're mixing it up with RuneScape. The two are unaffiliated, though it is slightly suspicious that both have character advancement that involved leveling-up individual skills by using them, rune magic that anyone can use, and similar names. But surely that's just coincidence.
Glory to Arstotzka!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: December 09, 2017, 01:23:52 am »

I had a lot of fun last session. The group found a magical McGuffin artifact that was in the shape of a twisted metal key made of iron and gold, DC 25 Use Magic Device check to activate, which opened a magic door. The door led to a nexus of infinite portals to any and every place on any dimension, but they had no way of knowing which door led where. They also had a book that gave them eleven locations they could know in advance.

The catch of course was that the method of identifying the door was hidden in the third page of the book, which I'd written, printed and gave them as a handout. I had a great time laughing with evil glee as they glossed over the handout and started arguing about just trying doors randomly.

Spoilered text of book for those interested. I think I did a great job of making it both completely accurate yet entirely mind-numbingly boring.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: December 09, 2017, 10:40:51 am »

You're mixing it up with RuneScape. The two are unaffiliated, though it is slightly suspicious that both have character advancement that involved leveling-up individual skills by using them, rune magic that anyone can use, and similar names. But surely that's just coincidence.

Oh right. I see. But yeah that's definitely just coincidence. Just like the first Swedish rpg being named Dragons and Demons is a total coincidence too. No relation there.

I had a lot of fun last session. The group found a magical McGuffin artifact that was in the shape of a twisted metal key made of iron and gold, DC 25 Use Magic Device check to activate, which opened a magic door. The door led to a nexus of infinite portals to any and every place on any dimension, but they had no way of knowing which door led where. They also had a book that gave them eleven locations they could know in advance.

The catch of course was that the method of identifying the door was hidden in the third page of the book, which I'd written, printed and gave them as a handout. I had a great time laughing with evil glee as they glossed over the handout and started arguing about just trying doors randomly.

Spoilered text of book for those interested. I think I did a great job of making it both completely accurate yet entirely mind-numbingly boring.

That is evil.
Love, scriver~

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: December 10, 2017, 01:56:01 pm »

Just be glad I'm not in your party. I read everything, and when it comes to documentation I read it carefully.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: December 11, 2017, 10:19:12 am »

Does anyone else here know of the magical plot device known as the "Peasant Railgun?"
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 622