Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845560 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #5025 on: April 04, 2018, 02:52:57 pm »

it will turn the smaller tarrasque into a corpse
Black lives matter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: April 04, 2018, 04:36:34 pm »

That seems like a contradiction, as a tarrasque corpse does not stay a corpse for long.

That almost sounds like the kind of thing that would be in the dungeon of doom though, at the bottom of a fall-away floor trap--- A room with over a dozen small tarrasque, in perpetual combat with one giant tarrasque. Basically some place you dont want to be anywhere near. The saving throws against the terrifying presences of that many in close proximity alone would be horrible, let alone actually trying to survive.

And now I have an interesting question...

Tarrasque has a carapace, and can grow to unholy sizes. This means it must molt. Do discarded carapaces still have insane resistances to magic? If so, armor fashioned from the discarded moltings would be fantastic.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:38:53 pm by wierd »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: April 04, 2018, 04:44:20 pm »

If you brutalize the Tarrasque's corpse after it becomes a corpse, it stays a corpse.
Black lives matter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: April 04, 2018, 04:52:02 pm »

There could totally be a mcgffin in the basement to keep them from becoming corpses in the first place though. The tarrasques might not even have been intentional in such a circumstance. LOL

(Fall trap ends up with the horrors inside, but is originally just intended as an oubliette where the person trapped in it is not permitted to die. Ever.  If I were an evil necromancer in love with the idea that I controlled the powers of life and death, it is the kind of thing I would make. I would even be quite proud of the fact that it does true-reanimation.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: April 04, 2018, 05:08:19 pm »

...Aw what, looks like it no longer has its dreaded ultra-regeneration in 5e?  That's a shame.  In 3.5 you have to not only brutalize the "corpse", you literally need a miracle (or wish) to make it stay down.

The idea of combining all the books sounds kinda cool but definitely too much material, would be awkward.  In my experience I usually know which book I need to look in anyway.  But a massive tome could be a neat conversation piece, like those gigantic semi-stationary church Bibles.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: April 04, 2018, 11:47:34 pm »

Okay, but it still seems like the most powerful 9th level spell, At least of the ones I can think of at the moment. What else can potentially one-hit-kill the Tarrarasque?
The Tarrasque has Magic Resistance and Legendary Resistance, so actually having it fail its save against True Polymorph can be hard. Still, other spells that can one-hit-kill-or-otherwise-defeat it include but are probably not limited to Wish, Imprisonment, Dominate Monster, Plane Shift. Plane Shift is 7th-level, so you don't even need to get that high-leveled for it.
Also, if you use it on your dead friend, does you friend have control of the 9 CR creature?
Not on your dead friend, as a creature target must have at least 1 HP. However, the spell states that the creature retains its personality, so RAW the player stays in control, but that's probably subject to GM approval. Also note that using it on a PC causes them to lose all of their class features.

There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: April 04, 2018, 11:53:47 pm »

But they get the creature's feature list instead, which may arguably be better, depending on what they get turned into.

Say for instance, you have a psionic type character get transformed into a mind flayer. there is no reason for them to suddenly forget their known powers, but now have a vastly more capable form, with lots of intrinsics.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: April 05, 2018, 02:37:36 am »

Also, if you use it on your dead friend, does you friend have control of the 9 CR creature?
Not on your dead friend, as a creature target must have at least 1 HP. However, the spell states that the creature retains its personality, so RAW the player stays in control, but that's probably subject to GM approval. Also note that using it on a PC causes them to lose all of their class features.

You could use it on the dead friend under the "Object into Creature" usage; it's been clarified that corpses are considered objects, so it's viable.  Said dead friend wouldn't get control of the creature under that usage though - RAW the caster gets control until the spell becomes permanent and then it's under GM control (GM discretion notwithstanding, of course).  It's implied the resulting creature gets its own new personality in that case, since the retaining personality bit is only mentioned for "Creature into Creature" (presumably since most objects don't have personalities, but either way in this case the character's mind/soul isn't present to be retained).

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: April 05, 2018, 03:29:39 am »

Sounds like a great story hook, to be honest.

The king is dead, but the court wizard has claimed to revive him! Uncover the mystery of the new power behind the throne.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: April 05, 2018, 03:33:47 am »

There is all manner of room for shenanigans though.

Take your typical lich for instance.  The body is not the vessel for the soul; that is phylectory. The body is just a puppet, which is why it can be destroyed, and can reform over and over again.

So, say somebody abuses object-to-creature on a lich. What happens? GM will probably say "Needs to have been 'destroyed' first (eg, it is bits of bony stuff on the floor), but that still has the same problem. Whence the lich reform from? What controls the reanimated body? etc.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: April 05, 2018, 05:15:47 am »

Sounds like a great story hook, to be honest.

The king is dead, but the court wizard has claimed to revive him! Uncover the mystery of the new power behind the throne.

Somebody cast Disjunction on the king and he turned into a ratty old footstool! Now the kingdom is in an uproar as the nobility sponsor adventurers to go far and wide in search of the means to undo this terrible curse!

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: April 05, 2018, 06:26:56 am »

There is all manner of room for shenanigans though.

Take your typical lich for instance.  The body is not the vessel for the soul; that is phylectory. The body is just a puppet, which is why it can be destroyed, and can reform over and over again.

So, say somebody abuses object-to-creature on a lich. What happens? GM will probably say "Needs to have been 'destroyed' first (eg, it is bits of bony stuff on the floor), but that still has the same problem. Whence the lich reform from? What controls the reanimated body? etc.
I'm not sure object-to-creature has any real implications for a lich.  While it's in/controlling the body it's considered a creature (at least, skeletons and zombies are considered creatures) so no object-to-creature until you 'kill' it, turning it into a regular corpse (or pile of bones).  At that point its mind/will has vacated the premises and is away starting the reforming process, so I wouldn't expect anything you did to the remains would affect or involve it anymore.

Creature-to-object maybe raises a question though, whether it's considered 'destroyed' and gets to go reform a new body, or whether it's stuck as the object, possibly forever.

(all based on 5e, I dunno if either lich or true polymorph works differently in other editions/settings)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: April 05, 2018, 08:53:43 am »

In 3.5 a quirk of undead is that they're vulnerable to Disintegrate.  They're usually immune to fortitude saves (generally poison or death effects), but they *are* affected by fortitude-save spells which also effect objects.  And their fortitude saves, which usually don't come up, suck.  (A particularly nice touch is that it's based on their charisma, force of ego, seeing how they have no CON score)

It does still need to be a spell which can target creatures, IIRC.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: April 05, 2018, 10:36:48 am »

The polymorph rules, particularly in 3.5e, are a can of half-demon worms that are best left unopened. They're how I managed to get 30 AC on a first level character.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: April 10, 2018, 10:14:53 am »

Thing about this is that it's basically a case of "The age of the gods has passed". There's no divine recovery. Any attempts are doomed to failure
Just because you know that doesn't mean all of the people in your setting do.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 623