Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845535 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5385 on: June 24, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »

Our first Star Wars Edge of the Empire session involved a driving battle with a slug *so large* it kept up with our stolen space taxi...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: June 24, 2018, 05:45:15 pm »

I've been considering running an Age of Rebellion game. Since it and EotE are so similar, do you have any tips on how to keep things running smoothly?

Hell, I'll take any tips in general.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:48:11 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: June 24, 2018, 06:07:02 pm »

Not really, sorry. We've only had one session and it was a big adjustment.

It was a lot of fun, though! Getting to add side effects, or suffer them, was a creative exercise.

Our GM did encourage us to prioritize attributes in chargen rather than skills or talent trees,  since XP can't be spent on them later. That turned out well: My Explorer-Scout had no skill points in combat, but with 5 agility (rodian for 3, then 40+50 xp out of 100) was pretty good at shooting. Then *actually* good at piloting and sneaking. The difference being an "upgraded" die which is necessary to roll triumphs.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: June 24, 2018, 06:26:18 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking of making that same point when I put out the recruiting call. Boosting attributes sounds pretty vital, since you need specific talents later on to increase them after character creation.

Did your GM restrict species choice to the core rulebook? Looking through the various supplements (and the different base games), it really looks like they're all roughly equal to each other. I'm looking for any reason to not allow players to basically pick whatever they want.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: June 24, 2018, 06:44:03 pm »

Nope, although there was a hard "no jedi" rule.  It was going to be core-only, but one of us wanted to play a Hutt for funsies, and that got us looking at a nifty PDF listing all races from all books.  We concluded that the races really are basically balanced.  Ended up with a Hutt, Mandelorian, and Rodian.  The differences generally seem pretty minor (and Hutts mostly have disadvantages, like expensive armor and inability to pay 2 strain for a second maneuver).
She/they

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: June 24, 2018, 10:14:06 pm »

This may strictly be infringing on copyrights (as in I own these books but the copyright notice says I can't transform them or put them in retrieval systems) but it's for personal use so I can't really be bothered to care.

So I spun up a new VM on my server and threw a document management system on it with the intention of organizing my RPG collection. Little did I know that OpenKM builds a text index of your documents and allows for easy searching. Boom, half of D&D Beyond right there, but for any RPG you may have. In fact, it may make the Shadowrun 5e books useful, increasing the likelihood that I might do something with them.

No links, because copyright stuff. It's pretty easy to set up yourself (or get your group's computer guy to set up) though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:42:05 am by Mephisto »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: June 25, 2018, 12:49:53 pm »

The grand finale of Tomb of Annihilation is tomorrow. We are very badly underprepared.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: June 25, 2018, 01:08:27 pm »

I still haven't posted about Free RPG Day a week or so ago, but apparently this Saturday someone is running a beginner-friendly Shadowrun game at the same place... I've always wanted to try it, tempting.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: June 26, 2018, 08:48:55 am »

So, what is the limit of Find Steed allowing you to cast any of your spells cast only on yourself also on your steed? Can I cast Sunbeam, and have two beams for the price of one?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: June 26, 2018, 08:58:43 am »

Isn't Sunbeam an offensive spell? I'm assuming the above rule is to give the steed the same protections you give yourself, not to be able to double dip fireballs just because you target yourself.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:48 am »

At the very least, you can cast Dragon's Breath on it and yourself.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: June 26, 2018, 12:42:01 pm »

The grand finale of Tomb of Annihilation is tomorrow. We are very badly underprepared.
We freaking won. We had some plot armour that we didn't know about before the fight. Nobody died, except an NPC, and our fighter even managed to get through the entire campaign without dying.

So, what is the limit of Find Steed allowing you to cast any of your spells cast only on yourself also on your steed? Can I cast Sunbeam, and have two beams for the price of one?
Only spells that target only you. Sunbeam can target as many creatures as are in the line.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: June 27, 2018, 12:47:53 am »

Well, I'm a few days late since I don't check these forums often, but I'm at least interested in that sci-fi campaign. I'm more interested in sci-fi than fantasy, but most of the people I know just want to play regular D&D, and the one time I ran a sci-fi campaign only managed to go for a few sessions. I'm in gmt-6 I think so I'm off by like 8 hours, but with the hours I work, that might be fine too. 13:00 here should be 21:00 there, which means I'd actually be available during the afternoon and evening if I want to wake up at a normal human time, instead of right before I have to go to work.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: June 27, 2018, 03:41:00 am »

Only spells that target only you. Sunbeam can target as many creatures as are in the line.

Sadly, the infinite tower of centaurs cannot be used to create a synthetic sun.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: June 27, 2018, 07:41:46 am »

How do people rate giving a PC plot armor in a campaign?

As a background, one of my players has played the same character, once a week, almost every week, for over two years in my current campaign. He's gone from 1st level to 16th the hard way. I really don't want to kill him off permanently since he's done such a stellar job persisting with the character and really developing their story.

I wonder if I should allow a deus ex machina in the event of a TPK?

I've actually allowed this once before, but that was because the group attempted to assault the evil lair of one of the sin demons whilst their party cleric was absent that week.

After the TPK was confirmed and I called the session to a close that week, I opened the next week with everyone prepared with backup characters, but first I introduced the story of what happened during the combat when the cleric was away. The cleric's cohort had previously sold the soul of their firstborn child to a demon lord in exchange for freeing the cleric from the clutches of a dragon, and this time the cleric was given the choice to accept the deal made in exchange for the lives of all their companions. They accepted the deal, and saved their companions from certain death.

I dunno if I should do it again though. Kinda ruins the reward if there's no real risk.
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 623