Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845649 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5505 on: July 19, 2018, 07:13:53 am »

I've gone and started the Rime RPG, with a short-ish self-contained adventure in mind. Let's see where it takes me. Everyone's free to do their own spin on the idea of the Rime as they want, of course, seeing as this was a community thing anyway.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: July 19, 2018, 07:16:21 am »

MY OC DO NOT STEAL
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: July 19, 2018, 07:24:20 am »

MY OC DO NOT STEAL

No laws in the Rime, you can duel me for it. Main street at noon?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: July 19, 2018, 07:34:47 am »

There's no rime nor reason with that!
Love, scriver~

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: July 23, 2018, 08:47:11 pm »

So I was browsing through DriveThruRPG's Newest Free and PWYW titles, as I sometimes do, and I was looking at the preview for this, especially the section where it says that gain wizard levels for each wizard you kill, and apparently other players with wizard levels count towards that, and I thought, "Wow, this is the most Bay 12 RtD concept I've seen outside of that board." And then I decided to look at publisher, and it's called Piecewise Games! Did piecewise start publishing on DriveThruRPG, or is this just a weird coincidence?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: July 23, 2018, 08:49:24 pm »

Yes, Piecewise does indeed put things on that site. We actually played WIZARDS for a while on this forum.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: July 23, 2018, 09:36:09 pm »

Tonight featured the first lair action of my 5e game. I don't know if the DM did it right - it happened once, not on every pass - but who am I to argue against something that made the fight easier?

Party of seven. Our only healing comes from the paladin and my bard. We had to go nova in this fight - high-level dissonant whispers all around, then switching to cure wounds once half of the party failed a "save or incap" legendary action's save.

Having two bards adds another layer of hilarity, especially when one rolls an X for initiative and the other gets X-1. Bard 1: "Dang, the big bad guy passed his save for dissonant whispers." Bard 2: "I cast dissonant whispers on the big bad guy."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: July 23, 2018, 11:57:45 pm »

Currently in NWoD we're investigating a very complicated intrigue-mystery at a Miskatonic University expy.  It was getting a bit convoluted, so we started cracking jokes about some bathroom graffiti we found.  Apparently one of the targets of our investigation is popular with the ladies, and they agree about the exact length of his equipment.  From cross-referencing artistic representations.

After some giggling all around, I realized.  "You know this was basically a plot point in MGS 3, right?"
We took a break as I explained about Volgin's... inspections.  I also mentioned the Boss giving birth while spearheading the Normandy invasion, and the Russian agent who is actually *spoiler*.  I didn't even mention the *other* "Russian" agent.  Fun times.

Then we went back to interrogating a vampire-professor.  We managed to extract a promise that he would stop dumping bodies... in the swamp.  Because we actually do work for the EPA, which apparently works with vampires, so the water pollution was actually a priority (we also got a real lead on a different investigation target, but had to follow up on his swamp pollution too).

We also learned that he's named Dr. Acula, so I suspect he wasn't part of the module
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: July 24, 2018, 07:27:54 am »

So in semi-breaking D&D 5e news, WotC just announced two new sourcebooks yesterday:

1) Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica, which is gonna land in November, featuring the fan-favorite Ravnica setting from Magic: The Gathering (you know, the bigger WotC property).

2) Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, which features the semi-classic pulpy magitech setting from the 3.5e days. It's out now as digital-only, and is described as a prototype/playest material - so more things and changes (including the addition of the artificer class, as the first full official non-PHB class in 5e) are on the way.
There is also the Races of Eberron UA, which is already part of the Eberron book, but doesn't have a $20 pricetag attached. Some cool stuff in there.

While I predominantly play homebrew D&D settings (indeed I have yet to actually play a game that takes place in a published setting...), I'm SUPER glad that WotC is FINALLY starting to experiment and branch out to other settings which are not Forgotten Realms (and even then, it's only been the Sword Coast and Chult, and not even all of the FR world) - so I hope that both books do well (Eberron more so), even though I imagine a lot of people are not super happy with that sort of cross-promotion between D&D and MtG and would rather have seen something like Dark Sun or Spelljammer in the place of the Ravnica guide - but there's a good chance those are on the way too.
(I know there was the series of the free Planeshift supplements...earlier this year? But the GGtR seems to be a step-up from that in terms of production value, or so I hope.)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:10 am »

I have longrunning issues with DnD that tstem from its essential nature as a squad-based wargaming system, and I pass up no opportunity to remind people that it is class-based level-worshipping arse-wankery, and that as a people we have evolved past the limitations that it placed upon our early roleplaying aspirations. Viva La Shadowrun (but not as a GM, fuck that noise).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: July 24, 2018, 08:01:35 am »

Shadowrun has the ineffable advantage of being a terrible fucking mess of a game which you can tell with a single look that it obviously isn't worth actually playing, so instead you spend your time avoiding the game and pretending to be a bunch of people existing in the setting i.e. Roleplaying. So people who prefer the roleplaying part of a roleplaying game (fair enough really, it's in the name) naturally prefer it "because it has the right focus"

I'm pretty interested in the Eberron expansion. Eberron was my favorite setting in 3.5 and I ran a couple of games in it over the years. Although I wonder if it'll change the setting much, I'd be okay with cosmology changes, but I hope the setting itself isn't too radically shifted. Either way more books with more monsters and items and classes to take inspiration from are always appreciated even for homebrewed settings.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: July 24, 2018, 08:37:25 am »

Let me annoy you with more bard talk. All four races in the Eberron UA either make great bards or have options that make them great. Free disguises? Cha bonuses all around? Built-in folding instruments that give you double proficiency just for using them?

And regarding Shadowrun. Great setting, mediocre mechanics. I'm eager to play again but I'd honestly go with Interface Zero, Shadows Over Sol, Cypher System, or maybe even Mythras.

Calling D&D class-based arse-wankery is a bit disingenuous when you're going to proceed to profess your love of Shadowrun. Shadowrun has implicit classes. Your mage isn't going to install augmentations. Your beefy beatstick isn't going to hack or use magic. Hell, even effective deckers and riggers won't overlap much.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: July 24, 2018, 08:40:45 am »

Kinda makes me want to make a Warforged whose torso is an accordion.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: July 24, 2018, 12:53:24 pm »

Eugh

Abolish bards

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: July 24, 2018, 01:00:57 pm »

I like bards from a game design standpoint, though.  In a system of hyper-optimized player characters, they're a jack of all trades master of none, even more so than the rogue.  They're healer/combatant/face/illusionist.

So they're perfect to fill in the gaps of a small party.  And yet, their party-wide buffing is basically expected for a large party.

I also love bards lore-wise, because they're skalds.  Every group of adventurers needs a battle-brother to share and exaggerate their lives.  Glorify even their inevitable grisly ends (which the skald escapes via illusion and guile).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 623