Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 836266 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6270 on: December 27, 2018, 06:46:25 pm »

Yeah, it's more of a game design decision than a realistic one. Hence why I said if your DM is okay with it you're fine.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: December 27, 2018, 06:48:16 pm »

Yeah the way AC works in 5e makes the various sources of higher AC unstackable by making them different calculations, not bonuses. Part of the bounded accuracy concept they used to avoid massive numbers bloat and keep basic enemies able to hit the big boys.

Lizardfolk Natural Armour calculates AC as 13 + Dex.

Monks Unarmoured Defense calculates it as 10 + Dex + Wis.

So your AC should be 16 from the Monk's UD feature.

The alternative is players being able to stack multiple sources of UD and NA, like say a Loxodon Barbarian which would wind up with 12 + Con + Con + Dex, which could work out with an AC close to or exceeding the goddess Tiamat at level 1.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: December 27, 2018, 06:50:40 pm »

Actually 3 and 3.5 at least had a clear statement that like bonuses did not stack, so you could have only one of those two Con in the equation.  I can clearly see why they would change that further, as it still leads to obscene total values.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: December 27, 2018, 06:53:05 pm »

Yeah, that one just doesn't make sense. Natural shouldn't stack with armor of course, but I'm not wearing armor to begin with.
Yeah, it's more of a game design decision than a realistic one. Hence why I said if your DM is okay with it you're fine.
Yeah the way AC works in 5e makes the various sources of higher AC unstackable by making them different calculations, not bonuses.
Yeah, I need a different way to start my posts.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: December 27, 2018, 06:58:38 pm »

I find myself doing that a lot too, yeah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: December 27, 2018, 06:58:44 pm »

Yeah, yeah.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: December 27, 2018, 06:59:44 pm »

There is a new addendum to the OP, it isn't a new rule or anything, I just want to let people who care know that I really am open to discussion of my curation methods in PM.  If you have concerns, questions or just feel the need to tell me that you don't agree with me I will do everything I can to listen and adapt.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: December 27, 2018, 07:04:10 pm »

Actually 3 and 3.5 at least had a clear statement that like bonuses did not stack, so you could have only one of those two Con in the equation.  I can clearly see why they would change that further, as it still leads to obscene total values.

As I recall you could stack your stats to AC, for example some options let you add Charisma as a Deflection Bonus to your AC, another as an Untyped Bonus, another as an Enhancement Bonus, and so on. You just couldn't add it as a Deflection Bonus twice because you can only have one Deflection Bonus, and one NA bonus and so on.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: December 27, 2018, 07:05:52 pm »

Yes, that was my meaning, I guess my explanation was a bit sloppy tho'.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: December 27, 2018, 07:09:57 pm »

I think there was a Paladin-esque build that had Cha to AC four times from multiple sources? Something insane like that anyway.

Wasn't a very good build mind you, AC was fairly unimportant by the level all the sources came online.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: December 27, 2018, 07:11:59 pm »

I believe I saw a fully book compliant build that got 25 AC at level 1, forget exactly what the combination was. Apparently that one is the limit for starting AC.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: December 27, 2018, 09:44:04 pm »

Yeah, that one just doesn't make sense. Natural shouldn't stack with armor of course, but I'm not wearing armor to begin with.

I dunno, I don't think it makes any more or less sense then natural armor not stacking with normal armor. After all, what armor actually is and trying to represent is pretty fluid, if it's the ability to directly stop a blow, stacking makes sense, if it's to dodge or turn away a blow, less so, but since everything goes into this one stat I think that all we can say is that it's all of the various ways you can imagine armor rolled into one gamey stat. And, with that in mind, I think it makes a lot of sense that they aren't allowed to stack. At the least because of the need to avoid AC 27 Tortles running around.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: December 28, 2018, 06:07:37 am »

Yeah, there was actually a tweet specifically about natural armor vs. class armor in 5e. Official ruling from Crawford is "you can't stack them, you pick either one and go with that".

I believe I saw a fully book compliant build that got 25 AC at level 1, forget exactly what the combination was. Apparently that one is the limit for starting AC.
Damn dude. That's without a Shield spell, right?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: December 28, 2018, 11:34:18 am »

This discussion of AC makes me wonder how things might have been different if D&D 5e scrapped the idea of armor making you harder to hit and made it about being harder to hurt you.  That could have also helped solve the bounded accuracy problem and remove some strangeness related to stacking AC and what AC means.

I know there are optional rules for converting AC to DR, but I'd really like to see that be more official.  Kind of like the wound point + vitality point system they used for the Star Wars D20 game, which helped explain how people got better at not dying by leveling up and also made critical hits really dangerous.  Then again, it would be a pretty fundamental change to D&D's mechanics and I imagine people would balk at the idea of armor only being helpful against wound points, which in turn makes tanks a very unappealing archetype suddenly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: December 28, 2018, 11:58:57 am »

I think probably the biggest change would be you'd have to find a way to balance many small attacks vs few big attacks, which would of course be disproportional be effected by the change.

It's probably doable to balance, but it's a bit awkward and imo the reason why most of these conversions aren't (in my mind) as good as the simpler current system.
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 622